Alleged debt help

Hello and thank you to anyone able to support with this issue.

I have received a letter (not a letter before action) stating that I have 21 days to pay a sum of £350.

Under three years ago, my then workplace paid a training provider to support me with gaining a qualification. The support was poor, with work submitted waiting months for feedback. I can evidence this through email and other contacts.

My workplace paid the provider directly and I had no involvement in the paying of the sum (around £600) other than the provider notifying me it was late.

Ultimately, the course took over two years to complete and I only received a certificate, due to liaising with a third party.

The provider is angry about this. They have written to say that I owe them the above sum, due to not completing within the 6 months apparently agreed with my former employer.

What should I do? I never agreed to paying anything. I can agree that the course took the length it did, but only due to the provider’s incompetence.

Others were on programme for the same duration and have not received contact. I can only theorise this is some form of retaliation for my having complained. My complaint is detailed within their letter.

Can anyone advise me please?

Comments

• WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    I have received a letter (not a letter before action) stating that I have 21 days to pay a sum of £350.

This is a pre-action letter. They should send this before they start a claim. This is your opportunity to respond along the lines of

* I have no contract with you
    * The fees were paid directly to you by my then employer.
    * You supplied no further training (consideration)

If you have a case, please state and evidence it so I can understand my legal position. Any subsequent claim will be defended and costs applied for.

The idea of these letters and the 5 stages before a court hearing is for people to exchange information and cool off before sitting in front of a judge who would rather be playing golf than listening to people complain.

So take every opportunity to push it back and get the Claimant to prove/evidence their case. Keep copies of everything (you have so far) and get proof of sending letters or emails e.g. copying yourself in.

Did you sign anything? If you did, do you still have a copy?

If you did sign but don't have a copy, then send a Subject Access Request to the Claimant so you can check the terms there - and most importantly whether the terms are fair.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • I did not sign anything in relation to fees or money, with the organisation.

I have replied to say that I dispute the alleged debt, because there is no legal basis for it. Their letter refers to the fact their agreement was with my former employer.

The dates in the letter for things like when they say they made the agreement with the employer are all incorrect too.

I’m so frustrated with the company, because I can evidence delays were caused by them.
  • Did your former employer have something in place that says you take responsibility in cases like this? It could have been in your main contract not necessarily a separate one.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • Not at all. The agreement with my employer stated I would pay them a sum, if I left the company within a period of time. There were no other policies or contractual arrangements.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Did your former employer have something in place that says you take responsibility in cases like this? It could have been in your main contract not necessarily a separate one.

If there was, the claimant would be the employer and not a 3rd party chancer.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure