rror in filling in tax form

i have been speaking with my mother about the tax forms she as been submitting
because she as been on a K code for a number of years , i think i have found a problem and what to know if i am right in my thinking and what to do about it .
my mum is a member of the teachers pension and pays 11.7% of her salary towards this .
on the tax forms she as been submitting ,she says she as been putting down the full salary figure not the salary figure munus the 11.7% figure . Am i right in thinking this is wrong and if i am ,how many years back can she go to reclaim this . We are booking an appointment next week to see a tax accountant , just want to make sure i am thinking right before going .

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458
    Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    edited 14 September 2019 at 11:22AM
    You might be correct but not necessarily.

Some types of pension contributions don't reduce your taxable income although teachers pension probably does.

However, this is already reflected on her P60.

Have you got her P60 and do you know what she declared for her teachers pension income?
  • If she completes Self Assessment tax returns she can only amend the 2017:18 return.

She may be able to make a special type of claim, overpayment relief, for a couple of extra years but that's all.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    what tax "forms"?

if you mean her self assessment tax return, then the figure she puts down as her employment earnings is the one shown on her annual P60 from her employer.

BTW as your keyboard has an H, so too does has
  • digging these out now p60s,
    she is in phased retirement for last 7 years so receives 75% of her pen and a salary for 4 days a week which she pays additional pen contributions on ,she retires fully soon .
    On her tax forms she submitts each year she as been putting down her fully salary not the salary minus the 11.7% contributions they take before they pay her each month.
    so my thinking is she as done them wrong and probably what is contributing to her K code.
    If i a right how many years back could she reclaim this and should HRMC have noticed this
  • she as been on a K code for seven years , not sure how long she as been doing her own self assessment tax forms ,finger crossed only since she took phased retirement at the very worse.
  • Two years definitely.

She can do the 2018:19 return correctly.

She can (until 31 January 2020) amend her 2017:18 return.

Years prior to that are a bit more at HMRC's discretion but if it's as simple an error as you say then they may accept a claim for overpayment relief.

You should Google overpayment relief as it's a bit more involved than simply sending a letter saying we got x wrong.
  • You do realise the K code could be 100% correct.

Unless you are able to provide a breakdown of how the code has been calculated then it's impossible to know if it's right or wrong.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,969
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    To be clear then - she has not been putting the P60 figure down but her salary figure before pension contributions?
  • I think the op is guessing at that but isn't 100% certain yet.
  • at present i a going by what she says as not seen the tax forms she as submitted , hopefully i am wrong as she as explained to me what she as done wrong.
    I understand the K code could be correct .
    I am saying she as been putting down her salary figure not the salary figure minus her pen contris
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure