Buildings & contents insurance for 2 separate Ltd companies

Can 2 separate Ltd companies share the same buildings and contents insurance policy if working in the same building?

I have recently purchased into a dental practice and was advised that 2 separate Ltd companies could not share the same insurance policy.

For the last 4-5 years at the practice, the previous two Ltd companies have shared the same buildings & contents policy with both company names on the policy.

When I called to change the names on the policy I was advised that there has been a change to t’s & c’s and that 2 Ltd companies could no longer be covered under the same insurance policy.

Does this sound right? Or does anyone know an insurance company that would provide cover for the two companies on the one policy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    get a commercial insurance broker, they may be able to help
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it's on a package policy including liability insurance then many insurers will refuse to insure it in both names due to an accumulation of exposure to liability claims.

If it's a buildings and contents policy without liability insurance, there is no technical barrier to insuring it in both names, but an insurance company can allow it or not allow it as they see fit.
  • Thanks for all your help
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The building should be insured by the freeholder and each occupying firm (leaseholder?) should have its own contents cover.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Zorillo wrote: »
    If it's on a package policy including liability insurance then many insurers will refuse to insure it in both names due to an accumulation of exposure to liability claims.

If it's a buildings and contents policy without liability insurance, there is no technical barrier to insuring it in both names, but an insurance company can allow it or not allow it as they see fit.

There actually is a technical barrier. Employers Liability cover is £10m, but reduced to £5m for Terrorism risks. £5m is the minimum amount legally allowed for Employers Liability (EL)

Two (non Group) companies sharing the Employers Liability technically breaches EL regulations

DM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport