Bullied out of job, I believe due to pregnancy discrimination

I’m a beautician. I had been working for a salon owner who is very new to employing people. She actually contacted me to ask me to come & work for her. I was about 8 weeks pregnant at the time. I told her this & she said no problem.

She was as nice as pie until I had pregnancy complications and asked her if I could be put on reduced massage due to doctor’s advice that I should be off my feet. She had been getting me to do loads of groupon massages until this point and I was getting home feeling exhausted and unwell.

Anyway, since then she turned on me, making up lies about me and accusing me of leaving work early (never happened and when I probed into the facts she warned me never to mention this again) She was hostile towards me, telling me to get out of the way, giving me nasty looks, listening in on my conversations with clients, telling me it was my fault if a client didn’t warm to her. She did a performance review in bad faith and said ‘you’re not going to pass probation’

Other issues;
Didn’t give me payslips and when I asked for them they were not properly set out / vague
Did not do a risk assessment for me and I had to stand up in my breaks as we had no sitting area

I eventually resigned having been off sick due to work related stress. I told her that I did not feel supported in my role and that the accusations made against me were unsubstantiated.

Since then she has tried to say, in writing that I received 8 written complaints about my treatments but she never told me because she didn’t want to hurt my feelings!!!!!

I am angry because I have an extremely good work record before this. I have worked very hard for her too and this is the response I get. In my previous workplace I had won awards and scored 100% when I was mystery shopped. At this salon I was getting regular rebookings snd regular tips but she tried to say that people tip even if they are unhappy with a treatment.

Is there any point in trying to make a case against her or is it not even worth it? I am not the first person she’s done this too either.

Comments

• Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I would be asking for evidence of these 8 written complaints..
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • It sounds rubbish... I would love to tell you your in the right yeah go after her...

However, A case in employment tribunal of this nature would likely take a couple of years, add to that you by the sounds of it had not worked for her for long so im not sure u would get much of a payout... It would be difficult to prove. I doubt its worth the stress. Sounds like ur better off out of there anyway.
  • I’m not looking for a payout as such, just that I know she will be bad mouthing me to justify to herself her own behaviour. (She did the same thing to another therapist who she bullied out of there, made up lies about her, didn’t pay her and now this therapist is getting great reviews at her new job) And prior to this I had a great reputation.
  • Oh by the way, I fully expect that if I ask for evidence of the 8 written complaints she will claim that they are GDPR protected & she can’t disclose them.
  • You do not now work for her. You resigned. Since you resigned you've heard or been told something that you don't like - right or not isn't relevant at this point in time. There is no discrimination there, and whether or not she is a nice person, that isn't discrimination. Since she hired you whilst knowing you were pregnant, how is that discrimination? And you don't want a payout.

Find a new job, and move on. This isn't going to happen.
  • Blatchford, with respect, you are wrong. Just because she hired me when I was pregnant does not mean she cannot be discriminatory. I haven’t ‘heard something I don’t like’ she is a liar.

I don’t think she had thought through the implications of hiring someone who was pregnant. As I said, she turned on me the minute I said I can’t do massage any more.

The reason I think I might have a case is that she has sent me texts and emails which show she’s acted in bad faith and I’m almost certain these supposed written complains don’t actually exist.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I would move on and forget it.

It reads that you had been there less than 2 years.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • And the reason I resigned is that I could not cope with working in such a hostile atmosphere.
  • If you are claiming discrimination though, I think length of service is not a factor? Obviously it would help your case if you’ve been there longer but I just mean from a legal perspective.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 September 2019 at 9:39AM
    I’m a beautician. I had been working for a salon owner who is very new to employing people. She actually contacted me to ask me to come & work for her. I was about 8 weeks pregnant at the time. I told her this & she said no problem.

She was as nice as pie until I had pregnancy complications and asked her if I could be put on reduced massage due to doctor’s advice that I should be off my feet. She had been getting me to do loads of groupon massages until this point and I was getting home feeling exhausted and unwell.

Anyway, since then she turned on me, making up lies about me and accusing me of leaving work early (never happened and when I probed into the facts she warned me never to mention this again) She was hostile towards me, telling me to get out of the way, giving me nasty looks, listening in on my conversations with clients, telling me it was my fault if a client didn’t warm to her. She did a performance review in bad faith and said ‘you’re not going to pass probation

Other issues;
    Didn’t give me payslips and when I asked for them they were not properly set out / vague
    Did not do a risk assessment for me and I had to stand up in my breaks as we had no sitting area

I eventually resigned having been off sick due to work related stress. I told her that I did not feel supported in my role and that the accusations made against me were unsubstantiated.

Since then she has tried to say, in writing that I received 8 written complaints about my treatments but she never told me because she didn’t want to hurt my feelings!!!!!

I am angry because I have an extremely good work record before this. I have worked very hard for her too and this is the response I get. In my previous workplace I had won awards and scored 100% when I was mystery shopped. At this salon I was getting regular rebookings snd regular tips but she tried to say that people tip even if they are unhappy with a treatment.

Is there any point in trying to make a case against her or is it not even worth it? I am not the first person she’s done this too either.
    I’m not looking for a payout as such, just that I know she will be bad mouthing me to justify to herself her own behaviour. (She did the same thing to another therapist who she bullied out of there, made up lies about her, didn’t pay her and now this therapist is getting great reviews at her new job) And prior to this I had a great reputation.
    Blatchford, with respect, you are wrong. Just because she hired me when I was pregnant does not mean she cannot be discriminatory. I haven’t ‘heard something I don’t like’ she is a liar.

I don’t think she had thought through the implications of hiring someone who was pregnant. As I said, she turned on me the minute I said I can’t do massage any more.

The reason I think I might have a case is that she has sent me texts and emails which show she’s acted in bad faith and I’m almost certain these supposed written complains don’t actually exist.
    If you are claiming discrimination though, I think length of service is not a factor? Obviously it would help your case if you’ve been there longer but I just mean from a legal perspective.

You appear well informed for someone seeking advice on the internet.

You don't say whether you were an employee or self employed - aren't most beauticians, who work in other people's salons self employed? In which case, you'd be taking yourself to a tribunal.

If you don't want a payout and are annoyed at what she is saying about you to third parties, speak to a solicitor about suing for defamation. I trust you have deep pockets.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback