PAC Code from BT - Family SIM or multiple numbers on Account

Options
Before I begin, the issue got sorted eventually but Id like to make others aware incase they experience a similar issue.

I had Family SIM with BT. Contract was up and due to poor signal with them I decided we'd all jump ship to a better provider for our requirements.

I sent a PAC message to 65075 and recieved a message from BT saying that i'd have to go online or call them to get a PAC code.

I went online via their chat and requested for the PAC code.
Not long after I got an email confirming the mobile numbers in my account and one PAC code to use to switch them all over.

This is when doubts set in.

When I got the new SIMs in the post from our new service provider I used their online form to transfer our current mobile numbers over to replace the number that came with each SIM.

The first form completed with no issues. I got my own number sorted. When I went to do the next number, it said the number was not recognised with the PAC code. This happened after refilling the form again. I tried with the third number and the same issue occurred.

Unsure, I rang the provider and we tried this over the phone. At this point the person on the phone said it was odd for BT to just give me one PAC code for multiple mobile numbers.

We didn't get any further. I ended up ringing BT to find out why I only had one PAC code.

Three transfers later I'm speaking to someone from some PAC code issuing department who explained to me that BT only issue one PAC code per account and that it expires within 30 days.
When I asked for a new one to be generated for each other mobile number the person told me that can't be done.

Several frustrating minutes later I ended the call stuck in a limbo.

I rang my new provider again to see if they heard of this before. They hadn't. They informed me that legally BT have to provide a PAC when requested within two hours.

So back on the phone to BT, however this time instead of explaining my situation I just asked for a PAC code for my wife's phone and my son's. Within minutes I got what I was after half an hour ago.

Finally got my switching date booked for all three numbers.

Not sorry to say this, thank God I'm leaving BT. What a pain!

So why have I posted this here? Just incase someone has similar and is googling for similar issues, rest assured they aren't alone and the advice here is this:

The provider has to legally give you a PAC code when requested within two hours.

So just ask for that and if they don't get it for you, question why they can't and further still ask them to send what they've said to you in an email as proof - they'll probably get your requested PAC code instead.

Has this situation ever happened to you?

Please post a comment to see if there is a trend. Doesn't have to be with BT either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure