Infection after tooth extraction

Hi

I had a back molar extracted last Monday 2/9 and flew out to Turkey on Weds for 2 weeks. I took amoxicillin with me just incase I got a dry socket as I suffered previously when had another tooth extracted. Unfortunately I have got an infection in the gum and the amoxicillin hasn’t touched it. I took a trip to the dentist who said I have a nasty infection and prescribed me stronger antibiotics called rivomycin. I’ve got to take one every 12 hours. I’m in so much pain and worried the antibiotics aren’t going to work. They are making me feel so nauseous and rubbish but I’m going to persevere as I know this needs to be sorted. Anyone else suffered with this? She did prescribe me stronger painkillers but I had a reaction to them and I’m now sticking with ibuprofen and paracetamol. Thanks

Comments

• fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You might feel better if you reduce your vodka intake.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,073 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Infected sockets are more painful than dangerous. They can hurt like mad, but it won't kill you!

Also - once set up - not a lot can really help it. Part of the problem is the blood flow round the area - and any antibiotics you take are carried round by the blood. So if there's not much blood flow at the site, then not much antibiotic gets there.

It's possible for a dentist to put in a dressing that can help a bit - but it's only really a pain relief measure whilst it all heals up on it's own.

Sometimes an antibiotic called metronidazole can help if taken for a few days before the extraction, and continued for a few days afterwards. But the evidence for this being effective is sketchy at best. Metronidazole would in theory be the best antibiotic to give if the infectected socket struck afterwards too - but as said, no antibiotic really helps that much. It just makes the patient feel better that they are 'taking something', and when it all gets better in a few days, they put it down to that, rather than just natural healing. The other downside of metronidazole is that you can't drink alcohol when on it.

The only ting that does make a big difference is (in smokers) reducing or stopping smoking for as long as possible before and after the extraction. That can really make a difference. If you're a non smoker, it's just unlucky that you're prone to them.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Toothsmith wrote: »
    Infected sockets are more painful than dangerous. They can hurt like mad, but it won't kill you!

Also - once set up - not a lot can really help it. Part of the problem is the blood flow round the area - and any antibiotics you take are carried round by the blood. So if there's not much blood flow at the site, then not much antibiotic gets there.

It's possible for a dentist to put in a dressing that can help a bit - but it's only really a pain relief measure whilst it all heals up on it's own.

Sometimes an antibiotic called metronidazole can help if taken for a few days before the extraction, and continued for a few days afterwards. But the evidence for this being effective is sketchy at best. Metronidazole would in theory be the best antibiotic to give if the infectected socket struck afterwards too - but as said, no antibiotic really helps that much. It just makes the patient feel better that they are 'taking something', and when it all gets better in a few days, they put it down to that, rather than just natural healing. The other downside of metronidazole is that you can't drink alcohol when on it.

The only ting that does make a big difference is (in smokers) reducing or stopping smoking for as long as possible before and after the extraction. That can really make a difference. If you're a non smoker, it's just unlucky that you're prone to them.

Thanks Toothsmith. I’m definitely a non-smoker so think I was just unlucky for the second time! I’m feeling a bit better today though cannot wait to finish antibiotics as they have not nice side effects. I don’t really drink much anyway so not bothered about that. It’s just being in a foreign country with this going on that was a bit scary though the dentist I saw was lovely and never even charged me for the appointment. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure