NatWest Charges history

Good morning MSE forums.

Firstly I will apologise if this has been answered previously, I couldn’t see from a search.

I used resolver to check for unfair charges on my account with NatWest, I have had the account almost 20years. They have replied and said they can only check up to 6 years (2013) and my main issues arose longer than that, mainly being charged for using the overdraft, and becoming much worse off from the massive charges. I know I should have checked earlier, but you know how life is.

They have replied with a sorry, but we can only check back so far, and will be giving me £30 for charges and £13 for interest for this year.

My question is, do I take this further? Can they check further back?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I used resolver to check for unfair charges on my account with NatWest, I have had the account almost 20years.

The banks won the court case on unfair bank charges back in 2009. Since then, it hasnt been possible to make unfair bank charge complaints (or rather you can still make them but the banks and the FOS will not consider the complaint).
    They have replied with a sorry, but we can only check back so far, and will be giving me £30 for charges and £13 for interest for this year.

For those in current financial hardship, that is a good result. Indeed, it the most common outcome (refund of current year to 12 months).
    My question is, do I take this further?
    You have nowhere to take it further as the FOS will not accept your complaint.
    Can they check further back?

6 years sounds about right (it matches the recommended period the FCA suggest). However, it doesnt matter. As you are over a decade out of date making this sort of complaint.
  • Thanks for the reply. I guess I did well then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure