Won't be on electoral roll until December: can I apply for a credit card?

Options
I want to apply for a new credit card that will allow me to do a balance transfer. My credit is excellent, but I've recently moved so my new address doesn't match to an electoral roll listing so I know this will potentially block any credit card application.

I've applied to be added to the electoral roll, but having spoken to the department at the Council that deals with this I've been informed that unless there's a general election I won't actually be added to the electoral roll until December.

The council sent me a letter confirming that I am due to be added to the electoral roll and suggested that I use this as proof when applying for a credit card. However, there's no way for me to submit this letter if I apply for a credit card online, and having spoken to a local branch of the bank that provide the credit card (Halifax) they have told me that they wouldn't be able to use this letter as part of a credit check.

What should I do? The person I spoke to at the bank suggested I just go ahead with the application anyway, but I don't want to risk having a failed application being added to my file. Do I just have to wait until December before applying for a new credit card?

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jim0203 wrote: »
    but I don't want to risk having a failed application being added to my file. /QUOTE]

Do what you like. Credit check outcomes or products they were for are not recorded.

Wheather it will be successful depends on what else is on your credit file and the CC's attitude to no ER. For many it may be an instant fail. WHo knows?
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    If it were me, and everything else on my credit file was positive, then I would try one credit card application without being on the ER. If I was declined then I would wait until the ER is updated before trying again. One credit check on your file isn't going to mess anything up!
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Jim0203
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Do what you like. Credit check outcomes or products they were for are not recorded.

Ah! I was under the impression that if I applied for a credit card and was rejected, that rejection would then be listed on my credit file and would negatively impact my credit rating. Have I got the wrong idea there?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Very much so.

All that will show is a search.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ah! I was under the impression that if I applied for a credit card and was rejected, that rejection would then be listed on my credit file and would negatively impact my credit rating. Have I got the wrong idea there?

A search will be recorded. Nothing more.

How anyone will think of that is a matter of opinion.

As I said. I does not say fail or pass, or what it was for.

Maybe try one, that is nothing unusual. May have jusy been speculation on asomething yo udecided not to take up.

Lot's however obviously looks like you are desperate and no one will give you credit. EVen if that is not the case.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Only the search will show not the outcome.

You also don't have a generic score or rating to be affected, so ignore any of the CRA mumbo-jumbo
  • RuuElisa
    Options
    Beware. I have been on the electoral roll at my new address for five months, successfully applied for a "balance transfer" card, and when I called the bank to arrange the 0% interest free balance transfer, they declined ANY transfer based on not having been at my current address for more than 12 months.

That means that despite Experian having told me I was 100% qualified for this "balance transfer" card - and so I'd dutifully clicked through and applied with Fluid, and was approved - it's now an unncessary hard search and unnecessary account on my credit file and (if you care about these things) it impacted on my credit score and average account age. To say I was disgusted is an understatement. I only applied for the card to get the balance transfer!

This is not even my first card with Newday (I had one and closed it as it was not needed), I have never been late or defaulted on a payment with anyone, no CCJs etc, nothing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    RuuElisa wrote: »
    Beware. I have been on the electoral roll at my new address for five months, successfully applied for a "balance transfer" card, and when I called the bank to arrange the 0% interest free balance transfer, they declined ANY transfer based on not having been at my current address for more than 12 months.

That means that despite Experian having told me I was 100% qualified for this "balance transfer" card - and so I'd dutifully clicked through and applied with Fluid, and was approved - it's now an unncessary hard search and unnecessary account on my credit file and (if you care about these things) it impacted on my credit score and average account age. To say I was disgusted is an understatement. I only applied for the card to get the balance transfer!

This is not even my first card with Newday (I had one and closed it as it was not needed), I have never been late or defaulted on a payment with anyone, no CCJs etc, nothing.

Are you sure that's why?

Did you list your address information correctly on your application?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I want to apply for a new credit card that will allow me to do a balance transfer. My credit is excellent, but I've recently moved so my new address doesn't match to an electoral roll listing so I know this will potentially block any credit card application.

I moved in June 2018. My electoral roll details weren't updated until December 2018.

I applied for and got a Lloyds 0% card in August 2018.

Lenders will ask for previous address details during the past three or six years and do a credit searches on them.
  • moneywow1
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Only the search will show not the outcome.

You also don't have a generic score or rating to be affected, so ignore any of the CRA mumbo-jumbo

Is this really true though?

Let's say a lender does a credit search and it's rejected, but it just shows as a search.

Then the borrower applies for credit elsewhere. The new lender sees that credit search, and then sees that no new credit accounts were open. Won't they assume the borrower in question was denied credit?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure