PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What's in your Slow Cooker 2019

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    Options
    This thread has just reminded me I could use it to stew some apples. I've got a real glut this year. Already done some in the pan, and today I froze some in an ice-cube tray, to make convenient portions to add to other things. A cube of frozen apple defrosted overnight to go with porridge sort of thing.
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    Today in my slow cooker will be Lamb Stew.

Very simply, lamb neck rings dusted in seasoned flour, layered alternately with sliced potato, onion and carrots. Each layer seasoned with salt and pepper and finally plain water added to halfway up the meat and veg.

After 4hrs on high I strip the meat off the bones and add two tbsp of cornflour to a little cold water and stir in and cook for a further 30 mins to 1 hour on high.

Really simple and full of flavour.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wow!

I'm really happy people are still using the SC! I thought people maybe didn't anymore as we had such an active thread for years, but is seemed to die off? I'm full of inspiration again!

I have Jacket potato's in mine today for tea. We still have chicken and veg off yesterday so that will make things easier, I am trying to use some bits from the freezer too as like to run it down before Xmas, going to be doing my meal plan this afternoon (my kids don't go back to school until tomorrow)

It's raining and miserable up north today so definitely feels like soup and casserole weather is approaching!

Cheerfulness it was a tip from this site I think, you fold tinfoil into 2 strips and make a cross on the bottom of the SC. It helps lift the chicken out when it's all fallen apart! I have never cooked with lamb necks, silly question but do they have 'bits' in the middle? (I can't bring myself to google)

JoeDenise chicken is always a winner in my house adding the onions to the bottom makes lovely gravy too.

Maddiemay I love pulled pork! I have never made rice pudding before tho, might give that a try for the kids tho as they like it!

MatronMidge that sounds lovely, I love how easy and simple meals can be in the SC (I have never used chestnuts in it before tho)

JennyJukes that's mash idea is genius! I will steal that!

ZaxDog sausage casserole is the kids favourite, we put a tin of baked beans in to thicken it up too and it also bulks it out a bit.

SoWorried I only have a 3.5L but is big enough for a meal and extra to freeze so batch cooking is great for us too!

Gintotmelinda I have some brisket in the freezer. Will be lovely with onions and gravy in the SC!

Lookingstraightahead it's the only way I cook gammon, usually put on in on Xmas eve to have with our turkey on Xmas day!

VintageHistorian the only meat I brown or seal is mince and sausages so they don't fall apart - everything else gets chucked in! I usually put stuff like diced beef and everything that is going with it in the pot. I then leave it in the fridge over night so it's ready to put straight on when I get up! ( make sure you adjust your cooking time if needed as the pot and food are very cold)

Yorkslass do you have a recipe for rice pudding?

Theonluwayisup I love soup! That sounds amazing with the dried peas too.

Carnoc I love making stock as I just 'add bits' during the day too if I'm cooking

Silverwhistle we got given loads by a neighbour so made apple crumble yesterday for after lunch!

Apologies if I have missed anyone, thanks for taking the time to join in!

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    Tink- the only bit in the middle is a small cream piece that isn't yucky to handle. Comes away clean and in tact when I discard the bones. It doesnt break apart either so nothing to gross you out.;)

A joint of beef is going in mine on low tonight. :D

Could I just ask, how do you cook your jackets in it?
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 September 2019 at 7:08PM
    Options
    Hi Tink_04, There are many variations but this is one I like to use - serves 4.

Prep: 10 mins / Cooking time: 2 1/2 - 3 hours / Temperature: Low

Butter (for greasing)
    750ml (1 1/4 pts) full fat milk (I used a tin of evaporated milk topped with water to make up the quantity)
    3 tblsp sugar or honey (if using evaporated milk you could use less)
    125g (4 oz) pudding rice (or risotto rice)
    Grated nutmeg/cinnamon (optional)

• Lightly butter the inside of the cooker pot. Pre-heat the SC if needed (depends on manufacturer's instructions but I don't usually bother)
    • Pour the milk into a saucepan, add the sugar (or honey) and bring just to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved
    • Pour into the SC, add the rice and stir gently
    • Cover with lid and cook on Low, stirring once during cooking (add nutmeg at this point if you use it)
    • The pudding is ready when it has thickened and the rice is soft
    • Stir again just before serving (with jam or fruit if wanted)

Enjoy!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • muvvahen
    Options
    I'm just about to strain the yogurt I've been making in my SC today.

Started off with two desert spoons of the last batch mixed gently into 1L of UHT semi-skimmed in a plastic pot that I rescued from my dead Lakeland yogurt-maker. I use the SC as a kind of bain-marie so the plastic pot is surrounded by warm water. I've (ahem) 'liberated' a probe thermometer from my other half's workshop to keep an eye on the temperature (ideally it needs to be between 43° and 46°). If it's getting a bit cool I'll pop the SC on high for a few minutes to bring it back up to temperature, so you do need to be around to keep an eye on it. Just don't let it get too hot as it will kill the culture.

That said I often make it overnight. I bring the whole shebang up to temperature in the evening and then turn off the SC and wrap a couple of large towels round it to help keep in the heat. It's done and ready to strain in the morning. Straining takes a couple of hours using the yogurt strainers that I bought with the Lakeland YM (RIP) but it's worth it as it makes properly creamy Greek-style yogurt.

And when I strain, I never chuck away the whey: it's perfect to use instead of water in HM bread. I've seen a few people say that you can even start a new batch of yogurt using just whey, but I'm a bit of a meany and don't want to risk a whole litre of UHT to do the experiment...
    Too chicken to stay in the rat-race...
  • ChrisF22
    Options
    Mmm some great ideas here. How do you cook a whole chicken? How much liquid (if any) do you have it put in? And jacket potatoes too - how do you do them? I’ve got lots to learn!
    Mine has got a non stick metal dish so if I do brown things first I can do it in the same pan which is good.
    Looking forward to learning more!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't help with jacket potatoes as never done them, it's something I might try in the future. I know you can freezer cooked potatoes and then reheat them either in the oven or microwave.

For the whole chicken I just put 4 half onions in the base and stand the chicken on top, no liquid necessary. The juices & onions can be made into gravy if you want to. Cook on Low for 8 hours - the chicken will virtually fall to pieces, no chance of carving!

Denise
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tink I see that this thread has been named Old Style Board of the week:):)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • miss_saveapenny
    Options
    Any vegetarian ideas anyone please
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family