CBD Oil

Options
Has anyone else tried this? Cannabidiol (CBD) is a non-psychoactive constituent of the cannabis plant, and is now legally available in drops or capsules.

I've been using it for the past week, thought it was worth a try as I suffer from insomnia. For me it really works - been sleeping much better, with no hangover effects next day.

I've been using the Holland & Barrett capsules - the only problem being they're really expensive (£34.99 for 60). I've also bought, not not yet tried, some from Superdrug which are much cheaper (£4.99 for 30) though appear to be about half the strength of the H&B ones.

It would be interesting to hear others' experiences, particularly other brands you've found good.

Comments

• Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would only ever recommend someone use it for things it has been proven to help.
    Otherwise it might just be an expensive placebo
    All your base are belong to us.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    I would only ever recommend someone use it for things it has been proven to help.

It's been proven to help me, so that's a start.

No drug, herb, etc helps every single person who takes it.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »

Luckily, placebos have been proven to help loads of things!
  • Claudiafields
    Options
    Get medical advice before using anything on you body as we do not know what kind of reaction would give it after using
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I tried CBD oil (drops, not capsules, from H+B) for my chronic pain and didn't find it at all helpful. I think it might have improved my sleep a bit, but not enough to make it worth the price.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried this? Cannabidiol (CBD) is a non-psychoactive constituent of the cannabis plant, and is now legally available in drops or capsules.

I've been using it for the past week, thought it was worth a try as I suffer from insomnia. For me it really works - been sleeping much better, with no hangover effects next day.

I've been using the Holland & Barrett capsules - the only problem being they're really expensive (£34.99 for 60). I've also bought, not not yet tried, some from Superdrug which are much cheaper (£4.99 for 30) though appear to be about half the strength of the H&B ones.

It would be interesting to hear others' experiences, particularly other brands you've found good.

"Is cannabidiol safe?
    Side effects of CBD include nausea, fatigue and irritability. CBD can increase the level in your blood of the blood thinner coumadin, and it can raise levels of certain other medications in your blood by the exact same mechanism that grapefruit juice does. A significant safety concern with CBD is that it is primarily marketed and sold as a supplement, not a medication. Currently, the FDA does not regulate the safety and purity of dietary supplements. So you cannot know for sure that the product you buy has active ingredients at the dose listed on the label. In addition, the product may contain other (unknown) elements. We also don’t know the most effective therapeutic dose of CBD for any particular medical condition.

The bottom line on cannabidiol
    Some CBD manufacturers have come under government scrutiny for wild, indefensible claims, such that CBD is a cure-all for cancer, which it is not. We need more research but CBD may be prove to be an option for managing anxiety, insomnia, and chronic pain. Without sufficient high-quality evidence in human studies we can’t pinpoint effective doses, and because CBD is currently is mostly available as an unregulated supplement, it’s difficult to know exactly what you are getting. If you decide to try CBD, talk with your doctor — if for no other reason than to make sure it won’t affect other medications you are taking."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/cannabidiol-cbd-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-2018082414476

Remember when vaping first became popular, people thought it was a good way of cutting down on smoking. Nowadays though, new information coming out showing that it can be also harmful. CBDcould perhaps help you in the short term but you can't be sure about the long term impact.
    ally.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Luckily, placebos have been proven to help loads of things!

Indeed, but as we're on a moneysaving specific forum it's worth mentioning there are much cheaper placebos.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Scrimps
    Scrimps Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I havent tried any but am keen to however I am breastfeeding at the moment so I wont be until he is fully weaned. I suffer from anxiety and am under treatment for it. Interestingly both my counsellor and mum (retired psychiatric nurse) thought CBD were viable treatment options to consider.

As for the skepatisism, I get the need for evidence based medicine but if we only used things based on evidence then we would have a very narrow course of self care treatment options available. You should be allowed to use your own experiences without being patronised.
  • mtbbuxton
    Options
    The most cost effective place to buy CBD that I've found is here https://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/shop/

They sell oils rather than capsules, but I've found the strength and quality to be excellent. All products are also lab tested so you can be sure that what they say you're buying is what you're buying.

There's also a Facebook page where CBD users share their experience
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/SimplyCBD/

M x
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just see it as the latest version of snake oil.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback