Free TV licences to be scrapped for millions of over-75s - MSE News

Comments

• Section106
    Section106 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Your reference to the PM's salary rather proves the point that if public service posts aren't properly funded you end up with incompetents - look at the last two Prime Ministers, for example, and look at the front-runner for the replacement. All total incompetents.
    The quoted figure was that pphillips posted in relation to MP's basic salary, the Prime Minister gets significantly more of course.

But while on the subject of incompetence, why stop at two Prime Ministers (unless you are just making a party political point)? I would include the last four at least.

But we should really get back to the subject of this thread, which is the TV licence, and not the competence of recent Prime Ministers.
  • SPOWER
    SPOWER Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good. They shouldn't be getting free TV licence anyway. The state looks after them enough. I have yet to meet a poor pensioner. And before any you lot start your rubbish, I worked at International Pension Centre. I know about pensioners.

The bigger issue is how the BBC is funded. I hope this is the first step towards the TVL system, like that discount needs scrapped.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I would certainly encourage more people to ditch the TV License and watch tv on demand instead through ITV player, All 4, My5, UKTV Play, Amazon, Netflix, Now tv etc.

You can buy a streaming stick that plugs into your tv quite cheaply made by companies such as amazon, now tv and google. I bought a Roku, as when it comes to apps I think this has the best selection.
  • jamestay1
    jamestay1 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Since the financial crash in 2008, pretty much every demograph has suffered a real-terms cut in their income, except the OAPs, who have continued to enjoy triple locked pensions, free travel, free TV licences, free this, free that etc. Someone's got to fund all this, and its now got to the point where the working population simply cannot pay any more to fund the freebies for the oldies.

Remember - we're all in it together....

You thick ? These pensioners have been working since their mid teens, worked hard for 50 years ! They deserve free travel and tv etc . Those who haven’t done any work should be forced to pay for travel and tv etc !
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The BBC iPlayer is included in this deal. It was a two way swap. The BBC approached the Govt to include the iPlayer in the TV licence. They said yes but would drop OAP funding. All after saying to the public they wouldn't. A lot like an election campaign with a manifesto. Then once getting in power completely ignoring it.
  • Autumn86
    Autumn86 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Only fools and/or naive-dimwits actually pay for a TV license anyways though! :rotfl:

All you need to do is tick the box on the TV-license website stating that "you only use your TV for listening to the radio",
    and that's job-done for 2-3 years (before you get an email simply requesting you pop back onto the site and tick that box again).

I personally haven't ever paid a single penny to TV-licensing,
    so have literally saved approx £2,600 cash (that I otherwise would've wasted paying out each month to them for all the past years)! :T:beer:
  • Autumn86
    SPOWER wrote: »
    Good. They shouldn't be getting free TV licence anyway. The state looks after them enough. I have yet to meet a poor pensioner. And before any you lot start your rubbish, I worked at International Pension Centre. I know about pensioners.

The bigger issue is how the BBC is funded. I hope this is the first step towards the TVL system, like that discount needs scrapped.

Exactly! :T:beer:

Pensioners have literally had their entire life to save-up enough money to get a mortgage/then pay off their mortgage... ect

They have been extremely lucky with the thousand-perfect rises in property-prices over the past 50+ years, and so have no excuse to have failed to become wealthy.

If they chose to be lazy in their life and not become rich that was their choice; But so they now should rightly have to life based on the results of their life-choices, and learn to live within their means! :money:
  • Autumn86
    Since the financial crash in 2008, pretty much every demograph has suffered a real-terms cut in their income, except the OAPs, who have continued to enjoy triple locked pensions, free travel, free TV licences, free this, free that etc. Someone's got to fund all this, and its now got to the point where the working population simply cannot pay any more to fund the freebies for the oldies.

Remember - we're all in it together....

Exactly! :T:beer:
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Theresa May's promise in 2017 to maintain funding for pensioner benefits, including bus passes, prescriptions and TV licenses, until the end of the present Parliament

Brings tears to my eyes all those millionaire pensioners having to fork out for a service they overwhelmingly use rather than being subsidised by the young who overwhelmingly don't use it. According to the BBC average age of its viewers is 62. Genuinely hard up pensioners will still get a free licence.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    jamestay1 wrote: »
    You thick ? These pensioners have been working since their mid teens, worked hard for 50 years ! They deserve free travel and tv etc . Those who haven’t done any work should be forced to pay for travel and tv etc !

How about free gas, free electricity, free shop at Waitrose.... why not free everything? They have been working for 50 years you know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure