Discuss the Netflix Hacks guide

Options

Comments

• MSE_Kelvin
    MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jinkssick wrote: »
    One that I have been using for a few months involves paying in Turkish Lira on Turkey Netflix (use a free vpn) using a fee free card like Starling and currently paying £2.39 a month for basic package. And yes, the very same UK netflix but I am billed in Turkish Lira monthly.

Hello there Jinkssick.

Thanks for the feedback, that's really interesting - we had discussed VPNs when putting the guide together, but time unfortunately prevented us from researching it as much as we'd like to.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the free VPN you use?

Thanks for your time and help,

MSE Kelvin
  • MSE_Kelvin
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    I thought that to "hack" meant to gain unauthorised/illicit access. Is this what MSE are suggesting with this thread?

Morning giraffe69,

According to Merriam-Webster, a 'hack' can also be defined as being a "usually creatively improvised solution to a ... problem", which is what we were suggesting with the title of the guide.

Of course, it can also mean a "journalist for hire especially with mediocre professional standards," but hopefully the guide leans towards the former rather than the latter :D

Cheers,

MSE Kelvin
  • MSE_Kelvin
    Options
    Morning 2013yearofthehouse,

Thanks for the info, really interesting. Unfortunately so far we've been unable to establish any pattern to these offers, so like you say it could be that is no pattern to them! We'll keep an eye out though.

Oh,before I forget, would you mind if I used your post as a case study in the guide so people can see what's possible (if not something they can proactively pursue)?

Cheers,

MSE Kelvin
    I’ve been offered quite a few 30 day free trials over the years. All offers were via “enjoy another free trial” emails, sent out of the blue. I’ve never contacted them or asked them about free trials.

I had the free trial when I first joined and then paid for the next month straight after that before cancelling. Then 2 months after I’d cancelled they offered me another free month, which this time I cancelled before paying for any further months. Almost a year later I was offered another free month, which I took and then another one 3 months after that and another one 3 months after that. I didn’t get any offers for 6 months after that, so I paid for a month, but just 1 month after I cancelled it they offered another free month. I didn’t take them up on it this time and they continued to offer me a free month every month for the next 7 months (every offer was a “limited” offer that had to be activated within a month, but when each one expired they just automatically emailed a new one!). I took them up on the 7th offer and enjoyed another free month, but also paid for the next month straight after before cancelling. That was 6 months ago and no offers since.

So basically I’ve had 9 months of Netflix (spread out over a few years), but only had to pay for 3 of them......

Free month
    Paid month (basic)
    Free month
    Free month
    Free month
    Free month
    Paid month (basic)
    Free month (after 7 months of free offers)
    Paid month (basic)

Not sure there’s any rhyme or reason to their offers though! :D
  • 2013yearofthehouse
    2013yearofthehouse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 June 2019 at 3:26PM
    Options
    MSE_Kelvin wrote: »
    Morning 2013yearofthehouse,

Thanks for the info, really interesting. Unfortunately so far we've been unable to establish any pattern to these offers, so like you say it could be that is no pattern to them! We'll keep an eye out though.

Oh,before I forget, would you mind if I used your post as a case study in the guide so people can see what's possible (if not something they can proactively pursue)?

Cheers,

MSE Kelvin

You can use it, I don't mind :)
  • MSE_Kelvin
    Options
    You can use it, I don't mind :)

Thank you! :)
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MSE_Kelvin wrote: »
    Hey cw18,

Thanks for the feedback.

May I ask what model of smart TV you have?

MSE Kelvin
    This one....

I've had it almost 7 years now ;)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007IYVYTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Cheryl
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We have a Sony Android model and it certainly shows profiles for us. have you checked for any possible updates for your TV.
    Yes, several times. No updates available. I suspect the age of my TV (purchased in July 2012) means it won't do any more updates - the same as mobile phones seem to stop after a couple of years.
    Cheryl
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Looks great! I wanna know that I belong to Germany and I recently shifted to London for 6 months. I wanna see some German shows on Netflix which I am unable to see in London due to geo-restrictions.

You might need to use a VPN, here's a tutorial about how to watch Netflix content from different countries:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/netflix-for-233-month-updated-tutorial-3172244
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks great! I wanna know that I belong to Germany and I recently shifted to London for 6 months. I wanna see some German shows on Netflix which I am unable to see in London due to geo-restrictions.

It's going to be complicated by the fact that accounts within the EU are sticky. If you take a german account on holiday to france it will continue to show german shows for two weeks after which it will give in and show french options.

This can be confusing and I don't know exactly how it decides. But if you have a german netflix account and someone in germany uses it you may find that you get two weeks of german options even when used from the UK...

On the other hand take your netflix account out of the EU to the USA say and it will instantly switch to USA options.

This has caused great confusion in my extended family in the past. Good luck.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 May 2020 at 4:57PM
    Options
    Here's an extra Netflix hack:
    1. Wait for Amazon.co.uk to offer free credit when you buy one of their gift cards.
    2. Buy the amount required to get the free credit.
    3. Use the free credit and the Amazon gift card to buy a Netflix gift card.
    4. Apply the Netflix gift card to your account.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback