Notary Public that doesn't cost a fortune

Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum but not quite sure where to post this query. Please feel free to suggest another one, if you think it will be better suited.

I need 4 pieces of paper (copies of passport and other forms of ID) to be certified by a Notary Public. The quotes I'm getting back from local Notaries are anything between £110 and £500! For a ten minute job! :mad:

I'm a full-time carer and don't have any income (not even on benefits), there's no way I can afford this. Is there anywhere that will do this for a reduced fee for the unemployed? I know that there are other certification services (e.g. the Post Office) but this is for the Australian Government and they have specifically said that only a Notary or someone at the Australian Embassy (in London) can do it.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    have you phoned any local solicitors to see if they offer this service? And doing a quick google, there's a suggestion that some banks will offer the service: because they have to get numerous documents notarised, they sometimes employ one. Obviously start with your own bank ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Notaries do cost more than solicitors certifying documents.

Check with the company who is asking for the documents if it can be a solicitor instead, costs £5 per document in England.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Plus from my googling, some firms of solicitors may have notaries within them, and may charge less than a standalone notary.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Notaries do cost more than solicitors certifying documents.

Check with the company who is asking for the documents if it can be a solicitor instead, costs £5 per document in England.
    The documents are for Government officials, and they are very specific in who can certify the documents. It can only be a Notary, unfortunately.
  • Thanks Savvy_Sue! I will look into this option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure