Working the numbers 2019 style

Hi long time contributor - first time with a proper diary

I want to start this to hold myself accountable, and to focus on getting myself in better shape financially and domestically and personally. Life for us (OH plus 4 cost centres, now all grown up but not all left home) has been a bit choatic but calming down now. My problem is being comfortabe - ie not having to scrimp and save to get through to the end of the month and with flexible friends to help if needed. But I need to stop leaking money on niff naff and trivia so I can maxmise how much I have left to use for debt busting, and planning for the future. Debts are currently £20K unsecured which I want to get rid off over the next 2 years and a mortgage which will take a bit longer

I've tried winging it, I've tried blitzing it, this year I'm going to number crunch it. So this dairy is going to record my journey over the weeks to help me meet my targets - credit card, other debt, wellness (health weight), decluttering, & if I'm lucky savings. Wish me luck and I look forward to your company throughout 2019, which I hope will be transformational.

All the above sounds dreadfully dull so I will try to entertain from time to time with some of the many hiccups and dramas that plague me
I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
Smiling and waving and looking so fine

Comments

• mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 December 2018 at 7:53PM
    So starting numbers - everyone needs a line in the sand
    • Debt 0% CC - £8351 - will record overpayments plus regular savings dedicated. Target 31/12/2019 = £0
    • Car Loan - 2.8% - £12K - will record payments, but not overpaying - Target 31/12/2019 = £6K
    • Mortgage - 2.1% -£132K - will record payments, but not overpaying - Target 31/12/2019 = £118K
    • Weight - 117KG (getting chubby) - Target 31/12/2019 = 100Kg
    • Steps - Target daily average (per week) 10,000
  • mark55man
    edited 27 December 2018 at 9:03PM
    Other targets
    • £2019 in 2019 - via ebay/decluttering
    • Shopping budget stabilised and kept to
    • No credit card spending - except for work expenses
    • Review all providers for everything as they come up
    • Emergency Fund £3K (not counting savers dedicated to credit card)
    • <TBD1> - Resurrect my budget tracking spreadhseets with at least weekly updates
    • <TBD2> - 2 NSD per week
    • <TBD3> - Zero Food Waste
    • <TBD4> - Packed lunch / Zero Disposable/Single Use Plastics
    • <TBD5> - 3 vegetarian days a week one proper vegan (AF)
    • <TBD6> - No alcohol purchases this year
    • <TBD7>
    • <TBD8>
    • <TBD9>
  • Ooh targets. I love a target. I will be following.
    Happy Christmas and good luck with this :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • mark55man
    Thank you DIA - I'm not great with targets - normally life's too complicated for a single number, which often distorts behaviour. BUT actually I am just going to try - and see what happens - and will watch out for oddities -

For example I do recall once breaking a £10 just to get the £2 coins and then having to take the next £10 out quicker!!
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Love the clarity of this!

SOA?
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • I've subscribed too - another one here that likes a clear plan of action :)
  • Aaleigha
    Aaleigha Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    wow You have been busy with the figures

I want to do something similar as our (mine and hubbys) lives will be so different from now on

He has just retired and in the next month or so we are moving to rural Wales so EVERYTHING will be different

hoping reading this will be inspiring and hopefully we can drag each other to the end of each target - I have just started a diary but I as yet do not know any figures so just going to save every penny I can
    Emergency fund £10,000
    Several categories with savings in
    Cars, house maintenance, birthdays
    Etc I have about 10 categories

Really happy to be debt free after being a compulsive spender
  • mark55man
    pidge04 wrote: »
    Love the clarity of this!

SOA?
    So - I have thought about that, but not yet. Will explain more - broadly I have tried before and was met with disbelief and some hostility as I do earn a very good wage just I'm a bit slack - and it seems to rub people up the wrong way

so maybe later when I have given it a bit more thought
  • mark55man
    Added some TBDs - all helpful supporting targets - will work out how to present them usefully - don't think I have too many (yet), but close. I often think of Robocop when people set rules - in Robocop 1 he had 4 rules and he pretty much knew what to do all the time. In Robocop 2 the ethics committe had set him 212 (or something) and he was always unsure what was best to do

• <TBD1> - Resurrect my budget tracking spreadhseets with at least weekly updates
  • mark88man wrote: »
    Added some TBDs - all helpful supporting targets - will work out how to present them usefully - don't think I have too many (yet), but close. I often think of Robocop when people set rules - in Robocop 1 he had 4 rules and he pretty much knew what to do all the time. In Robocop 2 the ethics committe had set him 212 (or something) and he was always unsure what was best to do

Your first target of tracking at least weekly
    Serious question does this help I sort all our money for 1st month money for all fixed expenses into one account money for all mini savings eg car maintanence, dog fund, new house fund, clothing etc goes into a second account
    Immediate expenses eg dog food our groceries my allowance etc go into purses which I take out as needed

I am wondering if weekly checks will help

Half of any money in the first accoun, income, goes towards savings towards future mortgage
    Emergency fund £10,000
    Several categories with savings in
    Cars, house maintenance, birthdays
    Etc I have about 10 categories

Really happy to be debt free after being a compulsive spender
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts