British Beauty Academy - Be Warned

Please learn from my terrible judgement!...

I took a course with British Beauty Academy yesterday, for Eyelash Extensions.

It was absolutely appalling.

21 students to two tutors.

I asked a lot of questions, to the point I felt like a nuisance. When I asked about them teaching us about infills, I was told, 'I can't really teach you that.'

Another student asked a question, I forget what it was, but they told her to Google it!

They never checked our work, not once, yet gave everyone got a certificate to 'pass'.

We we asked to fill a form out at the end, and I couldn't write I was happy with the course, because I wasn't. I was friendly, but honest. I stated the course taught me next to nothing and I had little confidence.

So, the tutor shouted my name and told me to go to the front with my certificate. I did so, and she yanked it off me, crumpled it up, and threw it away.
Fine, I didn't want a certificate, because I didn't feel trained at all.
But how she treat me was shocking. Totally nasty and unprofessional.

I have complained, I hoped they'd help, but they've been even worse by email. They're talking to me as if they're an upset child, not a professional company.

I just want my money back so I can go and train at a reputable company, and gain the skills I need. I have no desire to fast track this learning, and so wish I'd done more research!

They're refusing to refund. They've offered for me to go back, but I said no, I have lost all faith. I said I'd accept intensive 1-2-1, but they won't offer this. Or my money back.

I've reported them to Trading Standards, and ConsumerLine so far, and have a list of other bodies I'll be working my way through. No way am I letting them get away with this.

I'll take this all the way, and ensure as many people as possible know their ethos and antics.

Disgusted with them, they've actually made me ill.

Please research, learn from my terrible mistake! xx

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Not sure where you live Nat but it may be worth looking to see if your local BBC radio station does a consumer programme. Ours covers things like this and will always fight for the consumer if they are in the right.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2018 at 5:21PM
    Wow. All power to you.
    https://www.britishbeautyacademy.co.uk

Poor reviews
    https://www.salongeek.com/threads/british-beauty-academy-courses.134812/

There "head office" is actually serviced offices/ virtual offices in soho London

https://www.desk.co.uk/location/81-oxford-street-soho/
    Cannnot see that they have any accreditation
    Strange how i can't find out the names of the directors?!!( if anyone has any info send me a pm)
    Do they have a limited company name.

If you want a laugh, just read what they have to say about salon geek
    On their own website. #8
    Their defence to their bad reviews on salongeek "Full of trolls, and totally biased to one company. Expect to be ripped apart. The moderators are psychopaths."

They are really not very bright.

https://britishbeautyacademy.co.uk/faqs
  • SMCG
    SMCG Posts: 87 Forumite
    That is awful and I am sending you good wishes and hope you get a refund.
  • NatM80 - if you paid for the course with a credit card, you could try a S75 claim, or if by debit card, a chargeback via your bank?
    So sorry you have had to go through such appalling treatment.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Last Activity: 10-10-2018 2:11 PM

OP came and posted here and has never been back since. Absolutely no further point in replying.
  • Oh my goodness, we have just made the same mistake. My daughter has learnt nothing on this course and just been given a certificate! They also ended the course 2 hours early and told to go and ‘practise’. Have you got any further with a complaint? It is so unfair this company are clearly ripping people off.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Gillianhop wrote: »
    Oh my goodness, we have just made the same mistake. My daughter has learnt nothing on this course and just been given a certificate! They also ended the course 2 hours early and told to go and ‘practise’. Have you got any further with a complaint? It is so unfair this company are clearly ripping people off.

The thread was from last year, I can't see you getting any response.

Your daughter paid for the course yes ?

If she did then she needs to be the 1 doing the complaint.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    NatM80 wrote: »
    I took a course with British Beauty Academy yesterday, for Eyelash Extensions.

The mind boggles!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,579
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Hi Hayleyamanda
    Welcome to the forum. :)
    Now you've found MSE, take a look around the other boards.
    Lots of interesting and useful information on all sorts of topics.

MSE is not just for praising a company you've used.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hmm - an old thread has been resurrected, then lo & behold a newbie posts about how wonderful they are.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback