MSE News: New grants for Welsh students

Former_MSE_Megan_F
Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418 Forumite
Newshound!
edited 2 February 2018 at 12:57PM in Student MoneySaving
Welsh students starting university this September will be given at least £1,000 a year and some will receive more than £10,000, as part of a huge shake-up of maintenance grants...
Read the full story:
'Welsh students to get grant worth between £1k and £10k a year from September'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks to the Welsh Labour Government for doing this.
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Seems like a tremendous opportunity for Corbyn to promise the same for English students under a Labour government.

Wake up Labour - it won't cost the earth. There is no difference between giving the money as a grant now, and giving it as a loan that is never paid back and written off in 30 years.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    This is MSE, when do people need to send their children to live in Wales to get this money?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Surely this is going to massively exacerbate the issue Martin has highlighted with regards to basing student grants on household income, and how household income might have no bearing at all on what financial support is provided to the student? Ten grand a year (of free money) difference depending on household income!?!?

So not only is this hugely expensive, it is also as poorly thought through as any part of the current student finance system.

The student loan system might have its faults, but expecting people to make a contribution towards something they benefit from isn't really that earth-shattering or unfair a concept is it?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    So what are the knock on effects?

Mass emigration from England to Wales of poorer families with teenage children? Impact on services in Wales, particularly school places.

Parents "separating" to ensure the family income for assessment is low enough to scoop the highest grant.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Thanks to the Welsh Labour Government for doing this.
    More like thanks to the Barnett formula which gives the Scottish and Welsh about 20% more public spending per person than the English.
  • Ganador
    Ganador Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Its smoke and mirrors. They are doing away with the tuition fee grant which all Welsh students were entitled to. So all Welsh students will be worse off under the revised system, even those from the poorest households.
  • Can you get this if you live in Wales or do you have to be born in Wales to qualify .

Many thanks
    June 17 £16,000 debt ~ nov 18 DEBT FREE •June 21 £16,308 debt / july 22 debt free •Original mortgage free date 01/06/2059 current mortgage free date 01/05/2046
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure