Rancom Security Ltd - Successors to SAS FIRE & SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD?

Options

Comments

• brightergraphics
    Options
    I think they were also known as SSH Fire and Security. They seem to hover up all the vulnerable old people then they miraculously loose their police accreditation, close that company and then change their name and recontact all the disappointed customers with tales of "they were a useless company and now look where they've left you!" and proceed to try and get another 3000 GBP out of you just to get back were you were. It's a disgrace and the police should do something about this vicious scam!! NOW!!
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    SpammyTheSpammer Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    from https://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/rancom-security

"DIRECT RESPONSE SECURITY SYSTEMS LIMITED
    Changed 18 Jun 2014"

Name could have beeen changed after the unwanted attention provided by BBC's watchdog program:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/06/rogue_directresponse.html
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 May 2016 at 8:35AM
    Options
    from https://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/rancom-security

"DIRECT RESPONSE SECURITY SYSTEMS LIMITED
    Changed 18 Jun 2014"

Name could have beeen changed after the unwanted attention provided by BBC's watchdog program:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2010/06/rogue_directresponse.html

Their 2015 " campaign manager" worked for traffic monsoon ( ponzi scam) now works for clc world ( club la Costa) says it all..
  • scubadiverburt
    Options
    Yes ... avoid this company at all costs.
    My parents got hooked in that it was a panic button system!! Salesman asked for a glass of water mum obliged ... when she returned my dad had signed up .... devious manipulative and scum of the earth sales tactic.

They let the contract run its course ... terminated in writing and was acknowledged by the company ... yet phone calls are still received "regarding your alarm system" and proof I've just taken a call and politely asked them to delete the info from their records and stressed its a TPS registered number .....

AVOID AVOID AVOID
  • CarolynYC
    Options
    We uncharacteristicaly got sucked in by a cold caller and signed up to a monitored alarm system with a company called 'ADJ' last September. The equipment (£1000 worth???) was 'free' but we paid an installation fee of £300 ish and signed a contract for 5 years of monitoring at £29.95 / month. Soon began to doubt the wisdom of our choice and not having researched it but we were put on the spot and fell for it as it was something we wanted to get anyway.
    Lots of warning bells started ringing, and eventually we have just found out ADJ have gone bust, and lo and behold, their customers have been 'aquired' by Rancom and we just had a guy round to explain what has happened and what happens next. He pointed out firstly that as ADJ never paid the police URN, so what we thought we'd signed up to and were paying for was useless as the police wouldn't have come out to us anyway. So first things first he wants a £104 fee for that from us... Oh and a £50 admin fee.. He graciously tells us that our system is really old but since it was only installed 10 months ago and one of Rancom's own engineers serviced it in February, as they'd taken on the maintenance contract for ADJ, he won't recommend we purchase a new system at £700+... But clearly sowing the seeds that this is what we really need...
    Again, we pretty much had to sign up to a new contract with Rancom on the spot... He would honour the remainder of our 5 years, or offer us (generously) a full 5 year contract, since what we're paying is considerably less than what we'd get otherwise... He stressed we have 14 days to cancel so we can do our research and reconsider... But made out we would still be obligated to pay the remainder of our 5 years contract if we chose not to pay their admin fee and sign the contract with them.
    Where do we stand with them... Can we get out of our contract with them and find a more reputable company to provide a monitored service for the system we have... Are we being even further scammed? It was a stupid naive decision in the first place, but now we feel our hands are tied and we don't know what to do...
    And no, we're not elderly or confused, or (usually) particularly gullible, but a professional couple with a young daughter that simply wanted some extra security for our modest home... 😢😡
  • J9withdogs
    Options
    Latest update:

Rancom are now asking for £99 + VAT per year to insure the batteries and protect against flood, storm damage, theft and vandalism!

My mom is 83 years old and is worried that if she doesn't keep paying up, the alarm won't be monitored and she'll be left vulnerable.

Wish I could get her to cut her losses and go with another company but who can we trust??
  • mazbee
    mazbee Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I had a cold phone call from this company today wanting me to have a visit from one of their sales team, as they are in our area. It took me a while to convince the caller (Alex) that we did not want a visit. He was trying his hardest to get us to take an appointment. I did manage after approx 10 minutes to convince him that we had neither the time, nor them money to afford their security system. I felt he was pushing too hard, and it made me feel even more wary of inviting them to visit us. I then looked them up and found out here that my instincts were correct.... They just wanted money we have not got!
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Why not just hang up?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    Why not just hang up?

Indeed. I don't get why people think it is "impolite" to hang up on such people (which is why they don't) and so they hang on for ages and put up with the pressure.

My technique?

"Not interested thanks" ... <click>

And then I add their number to the call blocker. :)
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    SpammyTheSpammer Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Indeed. I don't get why people think it is "impolite" to hang up on such people (which is why they don't) and so they hang on for ages

I am TPS registered and they should not have called me in the first place so it amuses me to waste their time by seeing how long it is before THEY hang up.
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback