Flight delay compensation, all other EU airlines

Comments

• Thanks guys, will do that and let you know how I get on!
  • nicrobx4
    nicrobx4 Posts: 32 Forumite
    EMIRATES - extraordinary circumstances??
    Hi all,
    Reply from Emirates- sat on plane expected to leave Manchester to Dubai, fault discovered so transferred from Manchester to Birmingham via coach for flight to Dubai.
    Can anyone shed any light on where to go now, or do I give up.

They say,
    A review of your case shows that delay to flight EK 018 from Manchester to Dubai on 11th March2011 was due to a number three engine fault. This was discovered just prior to departure and was not detected in any previous routine maintenance check or on the inbound flight from Dubai. To comply with health and Safety requirement, it was necessary to rectify the fault which unfortunately delayed departure of this flight.

These circumstances were completely unforeseen and this situation occurred even though all reasonable measures had been taken. These circumstances were not routine and are considered to be extraordinary. Therefore, I am unable to meet your request for EU compensation which does not apply on this occasion.

For further clarification, flight EK 018 did depart, albeit late, and was not cancelled as you have suggested in your letter. As it was not anticipated how long the repair would take, to minimise the inconvenience to our customers, some were transferred to flight EK038 which operated fromBirmingham to Dubai.

Thanks for looking
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nicrobx4 wrote: »
    EMIRATES - extraordinary circumstances??
    Hi all,
    Reply from Emirates- sat on plane expected to leave Manchester to Dubai, fault discovered so transferred from Manchester to Birmingham via coach for flight to Dubai.
    Can anyone shed any light on where to go now, or do I give up.

They say,
    A review of your case shows that delay to flight EK 018 from Manchester to Dubai on 11th March2011 was due to a number three engine fault. This was discovered just prior to departure and was not detected in any previous routine maintenance check or on the inbound flight from Dubai. To comply with health and Safety requirement, it was necessary to rectify the fault which unfortunately delayed departure of this flight.

These circumstances were completely unforeseen and this situation occurred even though all reasonable measures had been taken. These circumstances were not routine and are considered to be extraordinary. Therefore, I am unable to meet your request for EU compensation which does not apply on this occasion.

For further clarification, flight EK 018 did depart, albeit late, and was not cancelled as you have suggested in your letter. As it was not anticipated how long the repair would take, to minimise the inconvenience to our customers, some were transferred to flight EK038 which operated fromBirmingham to Dubai.

Thanks for looking

Almost certainly not. Have a look in the FAQs at the top of this thread - particularly the stuff about the Wallentin judgement (which related to a complex engine fault). Then read the link "What to do Next After Reading the FAQs".
  • I'll kick of another airline in this case Aer Lingus. Had a delay of over 3 hrs whilst they sorted out an alternative plane(Birmingham to Dublin).
    They naturally declined my first request for compensation, so I then approched the CAA. They were awful, had to get my MP to contact them before I even had the decency of a response to my numerous letters and emails.
    Anyway they finally answered by saying they did not think Aer Lingus were at fault so washed their hands of it. What they did say was the delay was caused by a fault to the landing gear.
    Well in my opinion that is the fault of Aer Lingus, if not who then?
    So am now considering the small claims court. Looking to send of Form A nad see where it gets me.
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    So Aer Lingus will know what the CAA decided and that their version is accepted as an EC. That will form part of their defence in court.
    How much of a chance do you sensibly think you have of winning?
  • What is an EC? Who is to say the CAA know what they are talking about, they want to keep in league with the airlines and
    not rock the boat.
  • lucly
    lucly Posts: 2 Newbie
    Flight delay compensation . I need some advice I am new to the forum, and need some help..hoping i am posting this in the right place?
    In 2010..i was delayed 3hr 40 mins due to our plane being non functional before boarding, and had to wait for the next Plane to return from UK..for us to boardf it!!.
    The fight was from Timisoara Romania to Luton UK.
    My question is :...In order to put a claim through..,.Is it sufficient evidence to provide a credit card statement from the Bank together with the flight number and date that we travelled, in our own written words.??ie; we had to look up on the internet the date we travelled, not having any flight tickets/ booking records in our possession anymore!!.
    Thnx
  • lucly
    lucly Posts: 2 Newbie
    I have look everywhere , but unfortunately i have no records of the old emails with the booking reference nr. This information is all i can find that wile connect me to the flight . My Wizz Air account keeps data only for 12 months before automatically deleting old transactions . And my computer is clean ( old emails keep no more then 6 months)
    Have u got any sugestion how i may be able to get extra information?
    thnx
    regards Luca
  • nedsmarp
    nedsmarp Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 12 May 2013 at 9:03PM
    I just got bumped from a flight between Manchester and Stuttgart because an 'attendant was taken ill' and only 94 passengers were allowed to board because of security concerns. About 30 passengers were given vouchers for food and hotel and booked on to a flight tomorrow evening going via Frankfurt.

I am due to be working on a customer site and have to cancel that at my cost. I decided to spend the night with my family here in Manchester rather than spend 28 hours in a hotel.

What can I claim for here? Germanwings have provided emergency care but can I claim for my taxi to the airport tomorrow and for some compensation for lost earnings tomorrow?

The details:
    Planned flight Sun 12 May at 14.25 arriving c 17.00.
    Rebooked flight Mon 13 May at 18.00 arriving c 22.30

Any comments and suggestions appreciated!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sounds like a claim for denied boarding (I am assuming from your post that the flight is going as scheduled today but without all the booked passengers)

You should be entitled to claim €250 compensation from the airline. You 'should' be ok with the taxi charge on sending in your receipt but there will be nothing separate for lost earnings
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback