Any ideas for a golden anniversary pressie?

Hi everyone,
We're stuck for ideas for our parents, who have everything, or at least could afford to buy most things they need or want, for their golden anniversary.
Has anyone been through the same brain racking and come out victorious?
Many Thanks for your help!

Comments

• I am in exactly the same situation!! Somebody suggested a hamper of 'golden' products eg apples, syrup etc. Apparently it goes down really well and much appreciated
  • glenstan
    glenstan Posts: 321 Forumite
    the rose called golden wedding, is a hybrid tea rose bush. We bought this for my husbands parents. They loved it at the time saying it was something they could watch for years to come .
    :hello:What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • My sister and I booked a weekend away at Scarsdale Manor in the Lake District for our parents' ruby anniversary. Although they have travelled the world they still love that area and that hotel is wonderful (with an award winning restaurant) without being pretentious. We ordered a cake to be made at the hotel and brought out with a note at dinner, champagne etc. The hotel were extremely helpful with our specific requests and everything was done by phone (although I confirmed by letter) including agreement about what costs would be covered by our credit card. It was the extra touches that made the weekend and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Not a cheap option but not overly expensive and worth every penny.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Fizog
    Fizog Posts: 362 Forumite
    Yes I was going to say Rose Bush. I researched a family history for my parents in law this summer for their Golden Wedding. I bought a leather bound book (half price Camden MArket) and managed to get back to 1680 with one side. They were thrilled. It did take time and I began to feel I was doing a school project as I was sticking in pictures, photos and maps. But the whole family were fascinated and it is something which can now be added to and handed down. I found out so many intriguing things about my OH's background. Landowners to Fagins den!!!
  • Hi Folks,

thank you all very much for your brilliant ideas. I love the rose bush idea (they're both keen gardeners) and the golden hamper (i've seen a golden teapot ant cups in a mag). Since there's quite a few of us, we could combine all your ideas, have the hamper delivered at the hotel, but I couldn't find Scarsdale manor, Thriftykatie, could you please tell me whereabouts in the Lake District? I like the family book idea too, but the anniversary is in a month and we're all in different places, so it's a bit tight...But perhaps we could manage some funny photographs for a party game or something...

You've got me going now, thanks again!
  • The parents of a friend of mine had their Golden Wedding Anniversary last year and what she and her sisters did was to make up an album of photos in chronological order of the last 50 years .....so it included photos of her parents courting/marrying, the daughters as they grew up/marrying/having the grandchildren and then at the end a photo of all the daughters together with their families.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • abbecer
    abbecer Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    Instead of a family book why not do a memory card? For my 21st my cousin made my birthday card (it was massive), she added pics when i was little, on 18-30 hol etc with funny quotes coming from them. Also got family members to add personal messages etc. It is my fave card or prezzie ever.

Rebecca x
  • Ishtar
    Ishtar Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    We 'bought' a star for my inlaws who have just celebrated their 50th anniversary. It wasn't hugely expensive, about £25, and we found the website by googling 'I want to buy a star'!

They were absolutely delighted with it.

D.
  • Hi,

No idea what your timescale is, but for my Grandparents Golden Wedding, my aunt did a cross stitch 'family tree' with little pictures of my grandparents, each of their children and their families on it. The whole thing was illustrated with little pictures of everyone's favourite hobbies and interests (eg motor caravan for my granparents, telescope for my Dad who's into astronomy, OU logo for my Mum who'd just done a degree etc) and even had pets on. It had the date of their wedding and the date of their anniversary at the bottom. The whole thing was a real labour of love and will become a family heirloom.
    You might be able to do something similar on a PC with photos and clip art and print it out A3 (or larger) and put it in a nice frame.

Niki
  • Sorry - just read your post. Think I was having a blonde moment the other night. Think Scarsdale was a diet years ago (bit preoccupied with trying to lose weight at the moment!) Anyway, it is Underscar not Scarsdale - in Keswick. Don't have the website but google it and I'm sure there won't be a problem - but you need the hotel not the timeshare appartments. Don't let the latter put you off: the estate is huge, the appartments few and very exclusive so don't spoil the environment at all.

PS http://www.underscarmanor.co.uk/
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family