NST September - A Simple September

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,666
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    NSD 3 managed today - have been at work and then flopping around this afternoon. OH is out tonight but I don't control his spending....

Lovely weather- 2 loads of washing done and line dried. May try and iron some to catch-up tv tonight - am on taxi duty for OH and neighbour so it may help me stay awake!

Simplifying: Large bag of various small items put outside (under porch) for collection by shoebox appeal volunteer over next few days. Holey pair of ds3's (clean!!) Boxers added to recycling. 9 small hotel bars of soap turned into laundry liquid. 2 very old and rank smelling and weird texture ones binned. Various leftovers consumed by people.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Today has been a lovely day. Full of simple pleasures. We all slept well. Dd and l returned some library books and got her a front door key cut. Also got a phone number of a trusted locksmith as neighbour needs to change her door lock. The washing got line-dried. I've needlefelted a snowman with an acorn cup for a hat. Did a little more clearing and hoovering. Dinner is simmering away and dh is nearly home.

It has felt like a holiday,not just a Saturday.

Dolly - you've been dissatisfied with your job for a while, so it sounds best to leave it behind. Hope your dd feels better soon.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,419
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Evening all :)
    Lovely day today :)
    Still on 6 / 15 NSDs as I ordered new trousers for OH today. I discovered he doesn't have a single pair without a stain that won't come out, a hole, ragged hems or some other problem. I have told him he will be murdered if he wears the new ones in his workshop, which is where all the stains, holes etc come from!!
    Simple sort of day - did some housework, made all food at home, picked some blackberries :)
    Started a shopping list, as I will need to go early next week. Planning on going away in our old camper van for a couple of nights towards the end of next week, to make the most of the (still hopefully) nice weather. Won't be too spendy, as we always take most of our food with us.
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi all:j

Another lovely Autumn day, washing dried on line & able to have another go at black spots on stone slabs. Bought expensive cleaner for it online, DH managed to ruin a pair of trousers by getting it on himself & no difference that I can see. Found another couple of bottles of stuff bought previously, now trying those. Seems better..

A quiet day again, much appreciated..All food from stores but not an NSD as needed caster sugar & am buying some bits for DH birthday online - from his list. Am picking the things that I prefer & not the hideous stonewashed jeans he has on there.

Some progress on decluttering, have found a purse to take to CS plus I think I've sold another one. Still a few to go. How did I acquire so many? None with any cash in of course..

Checking in to say hi : Hello turtles!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    DD had a good first day at work. DH, DS & I went for a lovely walk then called into our favourite town, it was very busy and had a lovely atmosphere, the sun was shining, children were playing in the river, buskers were out. Small spends on some shirts for DS from the charity shops, a shirt for DH, a coat for DD and a lovely ceramic lidded bowl for the dining room - a lot of things for not much money.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,809
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Today I am going to have to be creative if I want to get NSD7. Have taken one kid to Parkrun already, and have a massive long list of things to do. I am on a mission to get as much done today as possible. :j

DH comes back tonight and I am afraid I will get nothing done when he returns. He is too distracting for his own good;).
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 15 September 2019 at 12:36PM
    Fellow turtles. I have a bit of a dilemma. Okay I'm tying myself in knots overthinking things and trying to decide if I'm really saving the planet or just being self-indulgent.

It has been a spendy weekend. Plus my sleeping pattern has gone a bit awol (lots of sleep, slow wake up, only feeling like getting going late, can't sleep) so I don't know how to count my NSDs as I have spent at odd times (SM order done in the wee small hours and only went to sleep after 6 am - went downstairs at 4 am to start loading the dishwasher and washing machine and sort rubbish).

I admit I have succumbed a couple of times to the lure of 'targeted ads' (must learn to get rid of some of the cookies - atm i am just permanently deleting ones that I don't like). The first purchase was fine as the sticks I bought to help keep the sinks flowing were also advertised on the CAT (the Welsh quarry one not the rain deforestation one) website but they were out of stock.

This weekend I bought 2 pairs of 'boots' (non slip, comfy, arch supporting) for about £40 (10% discount for 2, free shipping) in nearly the sort of emerald green I would have bought DMs in if I had ever been able to justify the expense of buying DMs for myself and one in a brighter than navy but goes with a lot of my clothes blue.

I keep telling myself it's okay to have more than one pair of shoes (I have a pair of proper walking boots to wear in the depths of winter providing I have no injuries, my new very expensive - for me - mountain climbing trainers which are going to be on my feet nearly all the time, plus a pair of pull on fake fur lined boots which are really just slippers that are acceptable to wear outside the house).

On the other hand I am wondering if they were too cheap and whether they will not be what i think they are. Was it an impulse purchase led by the pretty colours (rather than the grey with a flash of turquoise trainers). I hadn't got more footwear on my to buy list.

As i had already spent money and knew one weekend day was going to be a spend day, I went out yesterday for about an hour and a half (new walking programme plan) visited 3 shops (+ browsed 3 cs) ticked lots off my list (spent about £28 but £7 was things mum wants or has asked me to look out for and another £10 was a further stock up of washing pods (changing the product and I like the old one so buying the half price ones when I see them - had to hunt for them before this).

A couple of pre-decided minor indulgences (mood not quite right and tummy problems too). The only thing I wanted and couldn't find was a tin of paint for painting the outside metal chairs (left me about 12 years ago by a previous house occupant and destined for a new life as a support framework for my large eco bag planters). Wanted the covering up rust spots paint and they only had aerosols.

Lots of price and availability details jotted down for bedding plants (mum mostly) and metal/ recycled planters plus things I want to buy later on (white chocolate coins for DS3's 'stocking' which may be a reindeer made from a brown paper bag, twigs and a red pompom this year). I have to judge the timing of the planter buying just right as one side of an aisle had been replaced with Halloween and 'that festival' stuff. Want to get the planters reduced if I can but need to get them before they're replaced by an avalanche of glitter, tat and baubles.

I had also decided to bring forward the purchase of a s0d@stre@m. I had a sale price offer so looked at the options. Cordless, electric one touch or one with a glass carafe (cheapest to most expensive), gas in singles or annual plan of 12 (all canisters returned to manufacturer and next 4 dispatched).

Cheapest also came in a choice of colours (okay I have a shallow side - I picked the pale blue which goes with bamboo tray I bought in the sale and put away for 'C' and the kettle and toaster i bought in 2004 when I had the kitchen refurb) and I could have an extra 5% off by signing up for emails). Last night I decided to go for the annual plan (not strictly annual just a commitment to a 12 bottle, 4 at a time purchase) and also worked out that it's going to cost roughly twice what I currently pay for bottled water. Then I panicked and didn't buy.

Then I decided I should just commit to giving up bottled fizzy water altogether (indulgent) and also call a halt to buying decaff coke from a company I detest heartily (along with MacD, D1sney and Nestlay for world domination). Then later on I realised that this didn't solve the problem of what to do at mum's. Her tap water is absolutely vile, so do I go back to hauling bottles of my own tap water there?

This shopping is exhausting, no wonder i normally try to avoid it. The other question was if switching to a few low cost swaps (safety razor, switch back to wooden dishwashing brushes - had to go to Southport last time I wanted these - and maybe buy my beebombs as now is the best time for planting).

I do realise I should be scouring gum tree and freegle/ local community for 2nd hand/ unwanted oldies (still pondering the adult tricycles I looked at last week) but I have had some bad experiences / not much luck with them and I also have trouble 'accepting' (help, compliments) and am much more comfortable giving.

This morning the preview of the Amnesty catalogue popped up in my 'mail' and there are so many lovely things and much more choice than there used to be (including a turtletastic cotton carrier bag and a vegan panettonne). Think I have to have a long hard look at my bank balance and set a strict limit on spending on the boys (done buy our own present pacts with the eldest two in recent years so this may be indulgence by proxy. Have to remember I am poor (by most people's standards, in dire poverty by Western standards).

Thank you for listening to my ramblings. Today i am grateful for how good I feel on 4 hours sleep (there was lots of resting), for the luxury of choice, for food, clean drinking water, money in my purse (and DS2's pocket), warmth, shelter, a bed with clean sheets, reasonable health, a functioning but embattled NHS, being Able To Walk unaided, for benches to rest awhile, for good books, fun games (battling slugs atm), for my own space even if the state of it drives me to despair (my neglect, physical limitations plus the other 2 people living here - time for another talk), for sewing for pleasure not as a chore, for fresh air, nature's changing seasonal glories and the constant entertainment value of town centre, edge of the car park living.

I may go shopping today. It's on my walking plan (may even make it to the canal festival). The plan is to hit little Arseda and Tessimo for the last hour bargains (A is 3 pm - 4 pm and T is 4 pm - 5 pm) particularly for bread and veg. I have seen reports of several food banks being overwhelmed by demand so if I get to Tessimo I will buy £10 of stuff to donate (I seem to remember that if you put it in their donation box T will add 10% to the value of donations).

Oh and yesterday i unscrewed the bath plughole (only saw it once i had my new spectacles) in an attempt to gain easier access to the u-bend blockage. only to find that the plughole and the pipe beneath are not in line. Discussed it with my cohabitees and they spent some time working on a number of options with no success - with have to call/ message Mr and Mrs Builder to upgrade us as none of us can have a shower or bath until it's fixed.Let's hope 'cleaning the bathroom' isn't as troublesome as 'unscrewing the plughole'. Grateful for only writing a 3 item to do list.

Oxfam online shop is 12 years old and offered a 12% discount to celebrate. No s0d@ stre@m only a Ken Wood mincer, a baby bottle steriliserr and an iced tea maker.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • NSD No 10

Quiet day. To be honest I am feeling really tired and washed out so I spent most of the afternoon sleeping.

Making dinner now, The Boy will be here in about an hour and I'll be straight to bed again after he goes home.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Pollie
    Pollie Posts: 185
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Mothernerd, could you beg, borrow but perhaps not steal a water filter jug and see if that makes a difference to the taste of the water at your Mum's house? If it makes it palatable, may be an investment for the future.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Pollie wrote: »
    Mothernerd, could you beg, borrow but perhaps not steal a water filter jug and see if that makes a difference to the taste of the water at your Mum's house? If it makes it palatable, may be an investment for the future.

I was going to suggest a water filter too.

mothernerd - Regarding the boots you've ordered, if you don't like them you can return them FOC, a lot of companies try to get out of this but it is something like the distance selling law.

Unproductive day here. DS is growing like a weed, he goes to bed one size and gets up a foot taller with a size bigger feet it seems, it is really quite unbelievable. Anyway I bought him a new pair of winter pj's from Sainsburys, half price for some reason so £8 spent there.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family