Being chased for debt on mortgage shortfall after repossession and 7 years after bankruptcy?

Hello,
I am looking for advice from anyone who can help.
7 and a half years ago (Mar 12) I was declared bankrupt. I stopped paying my mortgage and informed my mortgage provider that I was handing back the keys of the property. Having done this my house was repossessed and subsequently sold.
I have just now received a letter from a Moorcroft debt collection company advising me that they are operating on behalf of my former mortgage provider and looking to collect a £20000 shortfall on my previous house.
I simply want to know if this is genuine and I am still liable for a shortfall after the mortgage and house were included in my bankruptcy over 7 years ago?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• What order did you do things?

Was it stop paying the mortgage, hand the keys back then go bankrupt?

Or

Go bankrupt, stop paying the mortgage then hand the keys back?

Limitation for mortgage is 12 years, unlike normal civil lit/debt which is 6 years.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Surely its a contingent liability and the order doesn't matter? The debt was incurred when the mortgage was taken out (i.e. pre-bankruptcy) so it makes no difference if the shortfall occurred before the bankruptcy order or after.
  • Minkym00 wrote: »
    Surely its a contingent liability and the order doesn't matter? The debt was incurred when the mortgage was taken out (i.e. pre-bankruptcy) so it makes no difference if the shortfall occurred before the bankruptcy order or after.

I was going to reply with the same answer, then started to doubt myself.
    I would send the debt collector a copy of your B.R order.
  • A mortgagee or other secured chargeholder may request the bankrupt to sign a document acknowledging the level of debt, shortfall or similar. Such a document is generally known as a deed of acknowledgement.

If you completed such a deed, a new debt might be created on which recovery action might be based at any time within the limitation limit.

Whilst a post bankruptcy debt can be created by rescheduling and deed, the underlying debt it is still a bankruptcy debt.
  • Thank you for the quick reply.

I was made bankrupt and then stopped my mortgage payments and handed in the keys.
  • Thanky you for the quick reply.

I have contacted the debt collection company providing details of the Bankruptcy Order today. Will see what response I get from them.
  • Hi,

This is a bankruptcy debt as a contingent liability (as said earlier). There is this thing of a potential new debt by signing a deed of acknowledgement after BR, but it seems you didn't sign one and any legitimacy of such a deed has not reached any case law that I am aware of.

As far as I am concerned, your shortfall debt is a bankruptcy debt and you are not responsible for it. End of.

Keep us informed.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • God loves a Trier (Moorcroft in this case)
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • God loves a Trier (Moorcroft in this case)
    I checked and can confirm, that no he doesn't.

He will be sending them a plague of locust shortly :money:
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure