Debt Consolidation

2»

Comments

• I am not a fan of consolidation loans as they usually lead to higher debt and I am also not convinced that someone else taking on borrowing for you is a good plan either even if it is your mum. If you cannot pay the £538 for whatever reason (that is a lot to find when you are only on benefits) can she pay it and will that impact on your relationship?

At the moment you are not able to work and won't be in a position to buy a home for some time as you will need a deposit so I would recommend a DMP or IVA.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Link to soa: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

#1 1p savings challenge 2024 £110.26/£671.61
    #1 Save £12k in 2024 £3850/ £12000
  • In the end I took the loan. I've now paid that towards both cards. The one card Aqua has already been shut and the other I have requested for it to be shut but it will take 10 days. Both cards have been shredded and no longer exist. I have no need for them or reason to keep them. I have agreed with my mother to pay £600 per month. The extra 42 she will save and pay off the loan early towards the end of the agreement. I will have some money spare each month in my budget, which I will also save up to and used towards repaying the loan early.

Thank you all for the good replies and advice. I really have learnt my lesson about how debt can get out of control. I hadn't actually spent anything on the cards for a long time, but the debts were hardly moving because of the high Apr and my limited income meant that they would've taken something like 6 years to repay.

Now that I have no credit card, mobile phone contract or any other form of credit in my name. What's the best way to keep my credit file ticking over so to speak? Would a 2 year gap really make that much of a difference?
  • That's really kid of your mum. Good idea to overpay her to bring term down further....

From my understanding, it's good to have credit in your name, as long as you're clearing it every month
    Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Get a credit card and just use it every month, doesnt have to be much, even if its petrol or if she doesnt drive then a food shop for your mum and she then pays your back.
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    Get a credit card and just use it every month, doesnt have to be much, even if its petrol or if she doesnt drive then a food shop for your mum and she then pays your back.

This ONLY works while a) you trust yourself not to use it for the wrong things and b) you pay it off IN FULL every month, as said. If either of those two things become a problem - get it cleared and get it gone immediately!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business