Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,333Posts
    • 7,900Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 12:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 129
    • DryTheRain
    • By DryTheRain 14th Sep 19, 6:03 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    DryTheRain
    Quick heads up on flu jabs - the graun recently warned that there could be shortages come November, so do try and get yours early if you're in an at risk group, or live with/look after someone who's vulnerable.

Boots got their supplies in this week, and I got mine done yesterday. The pharmacist (in a strongly leave area with significant elderly population) said I was the first in so far, but that they'd only been sent 30 units and didn't know when there'd be more in. I still have the shakes from the jab (always do) but it's a helluva sight better than the horrors of full blown flu. So don't delay on this one, it might be the most important prep you do
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 14th Sep 19, 6:08 PM
    • 468 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    AndyCF
    That's a good point for those who require one. I used to qualify as a carer (although it took them two years to tell me as I did not know this!) , I was just going and paying for one until the district nurse one year asked me if I'd had mine and I said no I'm off to get it next week and she said I qualify to have one ( ! ) given my role, so I got it there and then from her.

More recently I asked about it as due to health things at the time it was suggested I might qualify but I did not. I did not mind paying for it as it was easier to go to the surgery than the major pharmacy or supermarket as local pharmacy does not do them.

I've not read up on it but about a month or two ago on what passes these days for "teletext" (yes I know) there was a comment about it being delayed this year not due to Brexit directly but something to do with them not knowing what 'blend' (for want of a better word I forget the wording now) they would require this season as such.

I'll see about going to the Supermarket for mine in a couple of weeks then. Usually I get a 'dead arm' feeling but no other issues.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th Sep 19, 7:24 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Timing is key for me (chemo & all that jazz), but the under 65 jab isn't available here yet. I've chemo next week, so I can see about getting booked in at the appropriate time. Last year was the first time I had it because a couple of years earlier some numpty in the NHS told me I'd just get the flu if I had the jab with my weakened immune system (I wouldn't - the flu jab isn't a live virus)
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • maryb
    • By maryb 14th Sep 19, 7:53 PM
    • 4,029 Posts
    • 49,919 Thanks
    maryb
    Got mine today and the pneumonia jab as I have just turned 65. The surgery was heaving but it all worked very well. One jab in each arm, now sitting here with two very sore shoulders
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th Sep 19, 7:06 AM
    • 12,634 Posts
    • 242,820 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I got double-jabbed for flu and pneumonia a few years ago at the GP surgery, so was on the unexpected two-sore-shoulders thingy too.

Last year, when I tried to book myself onto a GP flu clinic, I was told that the Govt had removed my pre-existing condition from the list (I am under 65). I got a jab via my employer in the end.

Earlier this month, I asked if I would be eligible this year and the GP receptionist said to check back later, they'd not yet been sent their directives for eligbility for 2019.

I did actually get flu in Jan this year and was knocked off my feet for a week and was poorly for 3 weeks in total. Don't know if it was a flu-flavour not included in the jab, or the jab didn't take, or if I would have had a much worse flu experience without the jab. You can only do your best with the info and resources available.

Although the Govt seems to be swithering about my condition's eligibility, my hospital consultant wants me to have it as they say, with some asperity, if I end up in the hospital with flu (which could happen, apparently) it'll be a damned sight more expensive than giving me a flu jab!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,888Posts Today

7,528Users online

Martin's Twitter