Vacancy in a clinic where I'm a patient

Hi, I'm looking for a new P/T job and saw an admin role advertised at my local hospital that seemed decent. However it happens to be in a department where I am a patient for a chronic health condition. I visit the clinic annually for a review.

Is it appropriate to apply or is that generally not a done thing, conflict of interest, etc?

Comments

• I saw a job advertised nearly 4 years ago at the clinic where my OH is a patient with a chronic health condition. The job advert gave an email address for further information. I emailed and the manager replied saying it wouldn’t be a problem. I applied and got the job.

Since then I have been diagnosed with a condition under the same department. So far it has never been a problem. When OH or myself have a hospital appointment I email 3 secretaries in the department so they can type out letters. Most other people in the department have no idea that we are both patients and that’s the way I would like it to stay.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Absolutely nothing to stop you applying. If the clinic has any sort of 'rule' about not employing patients, then your application won't go any further...but if you don't apply... Good luck!
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Moonpixie wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for a new P/T job and saw an admin role advertised at my local hospital that seemed decent. However it happens to be in a department where I am a patient for a chronic health condition. I visit the clinic annually for a review.

If it was a genuine "conflict of interest" not to work in a hospital where you're a patient, a large number of hospitals wouldn't be able to employ anybody. Another example would be if you work for the local council in a museum, its not a conflict of interest to go and visit the library for example, or another museum.

Its only a conflict of interest if you're effectively doing the same job for two competing businesses, like working at PC World and an independent computer repair shop - that's a obvious conflict of interest.
  • Thank you for the replies and information. I will just go ahead and apply and mention it on my form :)
  • Moonpixie wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies and information. I will just go ahead and apply and mention it on my form :)

I wouldn't bother even mentioning the fact that you turn up once a year for a review - its irrelevant to the application. Maybe drop it in in conversation if you get an interview.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure