Utilita says I owe money but cannot provide bill

Options
I left Our Power in Oct 2018 and moved to Outfox The Market. Now this morning I got a letter from Utilita saying I owe £134 from my time with Our Power, who has since gone bust. They say they no longer have the final bill to send. I am sure I paid this final bill or at least everything went out by direct debit and I don't recall being asked to pay anything extra. Should I just pay this? It's so long ago I just have to assume it's right.

Comments

• PennineAcute
    Options
    I would tell them to provide proof that you owe the money or take me to court, The latter would be laughed out without any proof.
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    humanracer wrote: »
    I left Our Power in Oct 2018 and moved to Outfox The Market. Now this morning I got a letter from Utilita saying I owe £134 from my time with Our Power, who has since gone bust. They say they no longer have the final bill to send. I am sure I paid this final bill or at least everything went out by direct debit and I don't recall being asked to pay anything extra. Should I just pay this? It's so long ago I just have to assume it's right.

Agree with the above poster, and likewise you should be able to prove you paid the final bill as you claim you did.
    Your bank will be able to provide details of what you paid.

If you can't prove you paid it previously, and you are content the amount being asked for is justified/correct, I would urge you to pay it.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    I left Our Power in Oct 2018 and moved to Outfox The Market. Now this morning I got a letter from Utilita saying I owe £134 from my time with Our Power, who has since gone bust. .....

Odd. I can understand how you might owe money to Our Power, or at least their administrators, KPMG, but Utilita? They didn't take over until January 2019.
    Should I just pay this? It's so long ago I just have to assume it's right.

Not without some questions,
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Streaky_Bacon Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 September 2019 at 5:15PM
    Options
    Agree with the above poster, and likewise you should be able to prove you paid the final bill as you claim you did.
    Your bank will be able to provide details of what you paid.

If you can't prove you paid it previously, and you are content the amount being asked for is justified/correct, I would urge you to pay it.

The issue that needs to be added here is that they cannot bill you for energy used over 12 months ago.

If they cannot show that they billed you back in Oct 2018, then they won't be able to bill you for energy used earlier than 12 months ago (i.e. before mid Sept 2018).

Do you have something in writing from them saying that they cannot provide a copy of the final bill?

It would seem that the first step would be a formal written complaint to them, pointing at that the account has been closed since Oct 2018 and that they are not able to provide the final bill, and so asking them what their proof of an outstanding balance is, and to stop demanding further payment if they cannot provide proof of an outstanding balance.

If you don't get a satisfactory response, then you can go to the ombudsman.

At this stage I certainly wouldn't advise paying if they cannot provide a bill. It is their responsibility to bill in an accurate and timely manner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure