Why are my speakers from computer so distorted?

Hello all

For some reason the speaks I have connected to my desktop computer the sound is so distorted its impossible to listen to music?

Even if I turn it down on the computer and on youtube even very low its still really distorted and never use to do this. I dont want to buy new speakers just to test it.

I have tried connecting headphones to the computer and does not sound distorted and sounds much better but that even sounds a little bit muffled.

Can anyone advise please? thanks all in advance.

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 13 September 2019 at 10:22AM
    if one track sounds bad then it is probably that track.

How does youtube sound?

Since both headphones and speakers sound bad I would put 20% of my money on drivers, the rest on mixer settings including compression and effects. If it was only the speakers sounding bad, would also think along the line the the speakers could be broken. Distorted and muffled does sound like a broken speaker, but clipping does produce bad sound, but often loud bad distorted sound

You have not told use what os you are running, and we do not know the chipset that controls your sound either.

Generally the easy way to reset the sound drivers is to go to the DEVICE MANAGER and uninstall the sound card and reboot, and the sound card should be detected on reboot. If they are special sound drivers, rather than generic, they there might be no sound after, so write down the driver and version details before removing

The psu on the speaker - if they are powered speakers - could also be duff? Do the headphones plug into the speakers?

Easiest way is to attach the speakers onto another computer to test.
  • Can you advise what the brand and model the speakers are, and how you are connecting them?
  • You should first determine if it's the speakers or the computer.

Either plug something else into the speaker out socket (alternate speakers, Bluetooth sender, even headphones) - see if that sounds good or not. Or you can plug the speakers into something else (a Walkman, or your headphone socket on your phone if it has one etc.)

At least then you'd know if your speakers are duff (check the cable integrity) or if your sound card is faulty or has got bad settings on it.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 September 2019 at 10:00PM
    Pauls checks are the sensible starting point.
    Also check what you are plugging into which output. Non powered speakers my not work properly on some computer outputs.
    As also requested post technical/model details of all the equipment in use.
    Substitution of parts of your 'system' can aid fault finding but you also need to ensure bits are plugged together correctly.
    Can you describe the distortion better? Buzzing? Very harsh and raw sounding? Tinny? Muffled? Lacking 'body' and power?
    Difficult to ask about these characterisics without being too technical!!

Might be worth a read? https://www.thewindowsclub.com/sound-distortion-issue-windows-10
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    If they have worked before but stopped and nothing physical has changed.

Reboot reinstall drivers.

If a new connection check what is being connected
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family