Interview with OR

Hi all, I have my interview with the OR on Tuesday morning.

Has anyone any advise? What will he ask me?

I am so worried I will get an IPA. Will he say I have to use public transport and not use the car, so I can pay money towards an IPA? I couldnt bear that, I would not get to see my family, they live more than an hour away and it would severely limit my life. :( It is worth less than £1000, in fact I think its on its last legs as it is.

I dont have much, and I dont want them trying to take anything more from me.

Comments

• To an extent depends on attitude of who you see. However from what you say it is unlikely you will have to do away with your car.

My interview was fine. I sent in advance as much information as possible which simplified things along with a covering letter and that dealt with a lot of what he was going to ask.

In terms of an IPA that depends on if you have any money left after reasonable expenditure. You will likely get a financial questionnaire sometime after your interview. That will disappear into a black hole for a month or so after you return it. You will then hear with their findings which in my case were just some more questions.

Few people choose to get into this position. The OR is not there to punish you but just to do their job. I have found them fair so far.
  • PMS78
    PMS78 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Thank you Ratty, what did you send? I want to co-operate as much as possible, and get the anxiety over with as soon as possible.

What was the financial questionare? I have already filled out the SOA when I applied online.

The car is now in my husbands name, as he paid for my bankruptcy in exchange, as he has a vested interest in the car already, he did the work and paid for parts on it etc. Also he refuses to divulge his income, as this debt is the result of my unpleasant ex, who refused to sell a property and racked up large debts associated with it, and then did a runner, leaving me stuffed (that is the very short version). Although he cannot be earning much more than I am, as we never really have much.
  • Strictly speaking it wasn’t a brilliant idea to transfer the car into your husband’s name but, given the low value, I very much doubt anything will come of it.
  • PMS78
    I will be totally upfront about the situation. It was his demand for the cost of my bankruptcy, and my bank statement will back that up. The car is R reg, has 160k on the clock and only scraped through the MOT. I have been trying to sell it for months previous as it was. Again, I can show evidence of this.
  • How did you get on PMS78?
  • I think the interview is next Tuesday as they only posted yesterday.
    Wishing them well
  • If you don't need the car for work or care-giving (not sure visiting family is seen as a good enough reason) you may have to get a friend to buy it and gift it back to you. This is what happened to me, as my car was valued at £150 (!) but I was unemployed so wasn't technically supposed to keep it. The OR sent a guy from the car auction place to look at it and he asked for the cash there and then in order to sign it back to me so he didn't have to take it away. Be prepared!
  • In terms of what I sent to the OR I don't have access to it here but was along the lines of:

1. Evidence of each debt so copies of associated paperwork.
    2. Details of any assets.
    3. Covering letter explaining exactly how I ended up in this situation and going through the accompanying paperwork.

It was largely the paperwork to go with the list of things in the original bankruptcy application.

There is a separate questionnaire asking you to list your income and expenditure, just more detailed than the related bankruptcy application form questions. They can ask for things like copy bills etc as a follow up although they have not requested those yet. I have so far just had a few additional questions on my general situation.

With regards to my car they sent a guy out to value it, was a bit of going back and forth but agreed a price for me to be able to keep it. Doubt they will bother asking anything for your one.
  • PMS78
    terrence45 wrote: »
    If you don't need the car for work or care-giving (not sure visiting family is seen as a good enough reason) you may have to get a friend to buy it and gift it back to you. This is what happened to me, as my car was valued at £150 (!) but I was unemployed so wasn't technically supposed to keep it. The OR sent a guy from the car auction place to look at it and he asked for the cash there and then in order to sign it back to me so he didn't have to take it away. Be prepared!

Its not the keeping of the car, its the running of a vehicle tbh. As I said previously it really is worthless, I could show you the massive rust holes hiding under the sills and it is barely worth scrap value to someone unless they know what they are doing with cars. So much failing on it, it is getting to near overheating at the moment and stinks of coolant.

I am more concerned that they will turn around and say that I cannot run a car and that I will have to use public transport for 3 years, so I can pay an IPA. Let me tell you now, that will NOT be happening. I already feel permenantly tired from the work day and having to run a household, adding 2 plus hours to my day faffing around with buses will put me in an early grave.

I am prepared to answer all questions on my bills and anyone looking at my bank statements for the last 4 years will see I have not been living some high life in the slightest and lived from pay check to pay check. Although my circumstances have changed a bit and my son started at a new school, so some things will not be past evident.
  • PMS78 wrote: »
    Its not the keeping of the car, its the running of a vehicle tbh. As I said previously it really is worthless, I could show you the massive rust holes hiding under the sills and it is barely worth scrap value to someone unless they know what they are doing with cars. So much failing on it, it is getting to near overheating at the moment and stinks of coolant.

I am more concerned that they will turn around and say that I cannot run a car and that I will have to use public transport for 3 years, so I can pay an IPA. Let me tell you now, that will NOT be happening. I already feel permenantly tired from the work day and having to run a household, adding 2 plus hours to my day faffing around with buses will put me in an early grave.

I am prepared to answer all questions on my bills and anyone looking at my bank statements for the last 4 years will see I have not been living some high life in the slightest and lived from pay check to pay check. Although my circumstances have changed a bit and my son started at a new school, so some things will not be past evident.

First of all, they cannot "force" you to use public transport. When I went BR I worked in a remote location, and I detailed the time and costs involved with using public transport versus using the car. My car was worth maybe about £750 and I was worried that I would lose it. My trustee was clear in that I spent enough time out the house as it was so didn't see the benefit in adding to my day.

What they might say is that they will give allowance for public transport and if they have allowed for you to keep the car, there's nothing forcing you to spend it on that as opposed to running the car. It might mean that your actual spend on other areas is reduced compared to the allowances given.

I understand where you're coming from, however if you go into your interview with the attitude of "that's NOT happening" there's a good chance you will come off worse. The OR is not there to penalise you for going bankrupt, but can be less accommodating if you're seen to be obstructive
    Feb 2024:
    CC1 6537.66
    CC2 7804.45
    CC3 4221.17
    CC4 2053.68
    CC5 989.30
    Loan 1 3686.44
    Loan 2 5275.22

Total £30,567.92
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories