Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melbury
    • By melbury 8th Sep 19, 7:03 PM
    • 11,426Posts
    • 20,216Thanks
    melbury
    Windows 7
    • 8th Sep 19, 7:03 PM
    Windows 7 8th Sep 19 at 7:03 PM
    I know that updates for Windows 7 are finishing in January, but does that mean I should change my computer.

I have had my current HP pavilion for circa 10 years and it still works well for what I want to do, plus I really like Windows 7.

I know you were advising another poster about a replacement computer and mentioned SDD, which I have never heard of

Will it be dangerous to continue using my existing computer online after January? I do have Kaspersky Internet Security installed on it.

Also, if I did buy a new computer is there any easy way of transferring the data over from my existing one or would it be more sensible to pay a computer person to come and do it for me?

As some of you already know, I am a complete technophobe and just don't really understand anything much about computers
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

Page 4
    • Aidanmc
    • By Aidanmc 12th Sep 19, 8:44 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Aidanmc
    Why not buy another SSD and install WIN 10 on a dual boot retaining WIN 7.
    When switching off it will boot up again in same system used last unless alter in the bias, hence i have 2 keyboards just hold DEL down whilst switching on.

I wont be using WIN 10 have GFX installed on WIN 32 and WIN 7 64 dual boot.
    Drives me nuts the WIN 10 on a lappy have to use specifcally to run one programme for business.
    Originally posted by hareng
    One operating system is enough for me really. The only reason i'm changing the set up at all is due to windows 7 end of life in January and may be more susceptible to viruses etc.
    • Aidanmc
    • By Aidanmc 12th Sep 19, 8:54 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Aidanmc
    If there is anything you don't understand just ask. You'll need to do one more thing in preparation.

Will send message via PM.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    The gatherosstate method is really only to ensure windows 10 becomes activated after clean install.......is that correct?
    Is it otherwise possible to activate W10 using my exist W7 Product Key?
    I checked for the product key using Belarc advisor and the OEM one was shown. Also there is a sticker on bottom of laptop with my product key but difficult to make out as partially wore off!
    Also its currently W7 Home Premium installed, does this mean i need to install W10 Home version.
    Thanks
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Sep 19, 8:57 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    The gatherosstate method is really only to ensure windows 10 becomes activated after clean install.......is that correct?
    Is it otherwise possible to activate W10 using my exist W7 Product Key?
    I checked for the product key using Belarc advisor and the OEM one was shown. Also there is a sticker on bottom of laptop with my product key but difficult to make out as partially wore off!
    Also its currently W7 Home Premium installed, does this mean i need to install W10 Home version.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Aidanmc
    We won't be using your key. We will be using the gatherosstate method.
    Of course what I wrote was correct. Why would you ask...?
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 12th Sep 19, 9:02 PM
    • 9,115 Posts
    • 6,857 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    When switching off it will boot up again in same system used last unless alter in the bias, hence i have 2 keyboards just hold DEL down whilst switching on.

Drives me nuts the WIN 10 on a lappy have to use specifcally to run one programme for business.
    How will he install another SSD in his laptop, I have two in mine but one is M2 and the other is SATA , bet a pound to a pound of Sh!T he hasn't space for another,but This makes no sense
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th Sep 19, 9:17 PM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north

Why on earth would anyone dual boot Win 7 and Win 10?

If you really want to run legacy systems, use a virtual installation, such as Virtual Box by Oracle. It's free and even allows the use of 32 bit XP running on a 64 bit Win 10 PC, etc. Within the Virtual Box installation, you can isolate the OS and programs from the internet, so no updates or A/V needed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,772Posts Today

7,402Users online

Martin's Twitter