Good board games

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Grampus8 wrote: »
    Our favourites: (we only ever play two-player)

7 Wonders Duel
    Struggle for Catan (2 player card version)
    Splendor
    Castles of Burgundy
    Love Letter
    Lost Cities (card game)
    Pandemic
    Ticket to Ride Europe (big) and New York (small)
    Mr Jack
    Jaipur

All brilliant but special mentions for 7 Wonders Duel and Castles of Burgundy
    There is a card version of CoB which is much better if sie is important for travelling
  • There are plenty of good games worth a looksee. My partner and I routinely play these:

Coliseum:
    Takes about 20 minutes to explain, generally easy to play, it's a game for up to five players where you compete to put on the best show in Ancient Rome. Involves trading a lot of lions and gladiators.

Dinosaur Island
    Takes about 30 minutes to explain, compete with four players to build your own version of Jurassic Park.

Exploding Kittens
    Takes about 5 minutes to explain. Simple card game which is basically Russian Roulette...with kittens.

Kill Dr Lucky
    Takes about 10 minutes to explain. Basically reverse Cluedo where you're all working to, well, Kill Dr Lucky.

Merchants and Marauders
    Takes about an hour to explain but it's probably the best pirate board game out there.
  • Codenames - Every single person I’ve introduced this game to has had a blast, even if they don’t play board games. It’s a fantastic game for parties or small groups. It’s a smart word game where you have to give one-word clues to link your target words for your team while avoiding accidentally giving a hint that suggests your opponent’s words. It plays best with at least four, but you can go as high as you want because teams don’t get any advantage from the player count. Very easy to learn, quick to play, creative, affordable, portable... just all-around great game. Otherwise, there's an Android game inspired by Codenames on Apknite. You can download and play before deciding to buy it.
  • One of my favourites was Axis & Allies, was like a risk game based during the second world war
  • jjhdee
    jjhdee Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I remember Axis & Allies. Had a great time playing the game with friends. Catan and Dominion also come to mind.
  • 8ofspades
    8ofspades Posts: 141 Forumite
    Great thread to revive!
    Highly recommend anyone on a money saving gaming kick go and order Lords of Xidit from Amazon - it's about £12 and is on par with some of our £50 games in terms of size, quality and game play.
  • These Are Our Readers' 21 Favorite Board Games:
    Carcassonne.
    Pandemic Legacy.
    Catan.
    7 Wonders.
    Gloomhaven.
    Betrayal at House On the Hill.
    Cosmic Encounter.
    Ticket to Ride.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    alexluthor wrote: »
    These Are Our Readers' 21 Favorite

What?

If you're going to just copy text from some website and present it as your own opinion then you should at least try to remove the evidence.

Anyone would assume you're just trying to increase your post count for some reason...
  • Are you want to try mobile game?
  • Monopoly would be the best one for me!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback