Where to invest? (I am with Fidelity ISA)

Dear all,

I have £50k in ISA account (Fidelity, openned with Cavendish)
Due to makr violation recently (Brexit, US-China trade ware), I decided to cash out - cash is the king. But then, I had been holding cash on hand now, doing nothing but sitting in my account. I am looking for something safer or an ISA saving. My problem is, my fund is in Fidelity, which didnt have a ISA saving...
Therefore, I am seeking opinion and advice here, how do I invest in something safer? eg. move my ISA to another provider?
Thanks. :beer::beer:

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    There is always market volatility and something in the news to worry about.

What do you intend to use this money for, how long until you will spend it?

Alex
  • Alexland wrote: »
    There is always market volatility and something in the news to worry about.

What do you intend to use this money for, how long until you will spend it?

Alex

I am looking for long term investment, have no plan to withdraw ISA for next 5 years or more. The reason I cash out my ISA stocks and shares investment was to move the fund to an ISA saving or a safer, conservative portfolio for 1 year until market is more stable. Unfortunately, Fidelity Stocks and Shares ISA cannot link to a ISA saving. This made me stuck with money uninvested.

Therefore I am looking for advice, where to find a safer, conservative portfolio in Fidelity Stocks and Shares ISA.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you wait until markets are stable and there is little to worry about then prices could be high to reflect the reduced risk an investor would perceive. Then you would worry about the prices! In the meantime you will have lost out in the investment returns gained while the markets getting there. The best answer is usually to embrace a level of risk and stop worrying.

You may wish to use your Fidelity S&S ISA to invest in a balanced risk multi-asset fund for example Vanguard LifeStrategy 60 or HSBC Global Strategy Balanced. These mix up global shares and bonds to reduce the investment volatility so even in a bad crash the drop would only be around 25% before the inevitable recovery starts.

Alex
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    starkiwi26 wrote: »
    I am looking for long term investment, have no plan to withdraw ISA for next 5 years or more. The reason I cash out my ISA stocks and shares investment was to move the fund to an ISA saving or a safer, conservative portfolio for 1 year until market is more stable. Unfortunately, Fidelity Stocks and Shares ISA cannot link to a ISA saving. This made me stuck with money uninvested.

Therefore I am looking for advice, where to find a safer, conservative portfolio in Fidelity Stocks and Shares ISA.
    When you use the unusual term 'an ISA saving', do you mean a cash ISA?

If so, there's nothing stopping you from opening a cash ISA with another provider and transferring your S&S ISA into it, provided that the product you transfer to accepts inward transfers - just pick a provider (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa/) and instruct them to process a transfer.

You can always transfer back to Fidelity at a later stage if you're being driven by a perception of short-term market conditions that encourages you to act like this, although I agree with Alex that you're probably better to take a long-term view of S&S investment and stick to a plan rather than tinkering....
  • Thanks for advising!
    Yes, I mean a cash ISA.
    You're right, I agree with you.
    I should look for a balanced risk multi-asset fund, saving the hassle to open another cash ISA.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    starkiwi26 wrote: »
    Thanks for advising!
    Yes, I mean a cash ISA.
    You're right, I agree with you.
    I should look for a balanced risk multi-asset fund, saving the hassle to open another cash ISA.
    Probably the right answer but not the right reason....

Invest in one or more suitably diversified funds if they're consistent with your circumstances, objectives and risk tolerance, not because you can't be bothered opening a cash ISA!
  • abz88
    abz88 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is a link on Cavendish that advises you of a low risk investment strategy detailing what funs to invest in and percentage of investment in each fund. If you want a hassle free way to changing up your investments, just follow that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure