The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Stupid isa question

If you get a fixed rate isa for say 5 years, quite a lot of the info on various providers say that you can't add any money after the initial deposit. This is probably a stupid question but if it's a five year fixed rate ISA can you deposit £20,000 each year or can you not make any more deposits like it says?

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,456
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You won't be able to top it up after the initial deposit.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • danm
    danm Posts: 541
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    JGB1955 wrote: »
    You won't be able to top it up after the initial deposit.

To the OP.... the above is absolutely correct, but you can open another 5yr fixed ISA with the next years annual allowance.
  • Im lost with this for some reason. I want to put £20,000 in to an isa of some sort each year but it says you can only have one running at the same time?? So, i pick an isa fixed for a better rate, put the money in, and leave it for 5 years? Then next year, how can i open another one if you can only have one running? For some reason this is just not registering with me.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,056
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Where does it say "you can only have one running at the same time"?

You are allowed to pay into one cash ISA per tax year. There is no limit to the number you can have "running at the same time".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure