Selling Unwanted Items

Options
I have some books and clothes I want to get rid of and was wondering on the best way to make some money from them. Does anyone have some ideas or have experience of doing this and how did you do it?
Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    eBay?
    Facebook local selling groups?
    Facebook market place?
    Gumtree?

I've recently tried 2 and 3.

Put photos up, description, price and partial postcode. So far I've sold a laptop and I've got a few other bits up.

People often sell clothes on FB.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Car boot sale?

A few posters have recently said that selling books has become less profitable in the last few years. Success with clothes will depend so much on maker's label, style and size. You may be lucky or you may have to try more than one medium.

Of course, "competitive" pricing is essential!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • leix2012
    leix2012 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've noticed books don't sell anymore on eBay so I just give away for free on Facebook or take them to charity shops.

As for clothes eBay is hit and miss for me, I have used it since 2007 but since they seem to focus more on 'New' things and companies the amount of 'Used' items has went down a lot. I struggle to sell things that in past I had no trouble with.

Recently started using Facebook marketplace more but haven't sold any clothes through this only household / toys & games / furniture.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Facebook market place thingy, as it doesn't cost anything

I have had a few good results on there
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've tried eBay for clothes but you barely make anything after postage and fees, even with branded items like Diesel and Zara. These days I just take the whole lot to charity shops even stuff I have never worn.

There's a girl I work with who makes 50p to £3 on clothes she sells but she is adamant she will carry on doing this. To each their own I guess.
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies.

I have managed to get rid of one item of clothing with possibly two more going out tomorrow through Marketplace. I have managed to sell about a dozen books through Marketplace as well, although the books I'm not so worried about.

Any clothes left at the weekend I've decided will go to the charity shop.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • treenyttt
    treenyttt Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Ebay a bit hit and miss with clothes. Books don't sell well on there either. Car boot?
  • LeagueOfWolf
    Options
    For clothes and shoes that are stylish I used the app Depop
    Loads of hipster art kids on there you just need to learn how to tag properly like all the well known high street store names
  • BowerBadgers
    Options
    For clothes, Vinted is a rival to Depop. I've not tried it though.
    Seems to me there is now so much stuff in the world that hardly anyone wants to buy second-hand stuff on Facebook, eBay or anywhere else.
  • mee2wo
    mee2wo Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I can confirm books don't do well on eBay, l tried to sell 30 books, only 1 sold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure