Bank smart trying to charge me!

Options
Some advice needed please, A company called Bank Smart looked into some PPI claims for me back in 2013 and sent me paperwork for this which resulted in no valid PPI Claims. However I was then bombarded with paperwork asking if they can look into bank account charges etc which I was not happy to do. I left it as I had no valid PPI claims and since moved house 2 year or so not thinking any further action was needed. Last week I receive a call from a Debt management company saying I owe them £4000 and to get in touch as I am in breach of contract with Bank Smart for not sending further paperwork back for other PPI claims??? I have never received a penny for PPI or pursued any and now been chased and threatened for charges for paperwork that has been sent to an old address! Nothing has ever been forwarded by Bank Smart in 2 years to my new address or called until last week or emailed, I feel I am been conned and should not be paying anything especially after no one has tried to contact me or climed any money for me either, I have spoken with the legal ombudsmen who are still trying to get in contact with Bank Smart as there is no one to talk to only email which generates a auto response. After logging into Bank Smarts website they have locked my account saying I need to repay on a payment plan nearly £5000 pounds, surely this is not good practise or treating a customer fairly...? Some advise please would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• agnesjanesteinson
    Options
    I have had a similar experience with them which I have outlined in a post on another Forum member's board.

Yesterday I got an e-mail saying I owe them £520 - they said £480 so I don't know a) why I owe them anything, as they have done nothing for me and I have already paid them £100, which, in accordance with advice on the other member's board, I have requested that they refund.

I am sorry you and so many others have found yourselves in the same boat as me and would appreciate some advice also, thanks. As you say not good practice for treating customers fairly, and I e-mailed them today with the request for the refund and saying that i will not be paying them a penny and I have told them several times exactly what I think of them!!! Like you and many others I am worried they will take court action if I do not pay - but why should I pay for a shoddy service? I thought they were a No Win No Fee company anyway and if I had known otherwise I would never have got involved with them, I regret doing so and have told them this!!!
  • ricardo274
    Options
    Be careful of this company. They pretend they carry out searches on your behalf making out it’s free. The sting then comes when your not entitled to any PPI a large bill for there admin. This company is a con have upset and worried many people with demands for non payment threatening court actions. Stay clear of this company.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Already a long thread about this, the reason no one responded to this one.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1828695
  • ricardo274
    Options
    Been stung by this company four years ago. Just received another letter from them asking if I would like a search done again on unclaimed PPI before closing date in August. The enclosed paperwork has a letter of authority highlighting my personal bank and recent card details which Iam concerned about , as I have not given permission for them to carry out any searches on my behalf . Surely they are in breach of data protection act.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ricardo274 wrote: »
    The enclosed paperwork has a letter of authority highlighting my personal bank and recent card details which Iam concerned about , as I have not given permission for them to carry out any searches on my behalf . Surely they are in breach of data protection act.
    You already have a relationship with this company from four years ago, sadly.

That means that they are not in breach of current data protection, as you will have personally provided any information they hold on you.
  • Nigemcken
    Nigemcken Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2019 at 11:48PM
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I recently signed up now with Bank Smart for a PPI claim. I never looked into them as I just thought ‘sure why not try to get some PPI back as it’s basically costing me nothing’
    I sent them my credit report and have just signed each letter they’ve sent me to try and speed up the process as the PPI deadline was fast approaching. Having googled them tonight I’m really anxious that they’re going to hit me with a huge bill for admin when I probably won’t get any ppi back anyway. Can they do this? I’ve emailed asking for an update of my claim and threatened to cancel but if I do they’ll charge me anyway! I’m really at a loss here and can’t see any positive reviews for them anywhere! What will I do? I don’t want a bill for hundreds of pounds when I won’t be able to pay it back and then they’ll threaten bailiffs and court! I’m past the 14 day cooling off period but I have read their T&Cs and noticed the following term 21
    Governing Law and Jurisdiction
    21) This agreement and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the law of England and Wales. The parties agree that the courts of England and Wales shall have jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim that arises out of or in connection with this agreement or its subject matter.

As I'm a resident of Northern Ireland does this mean I can’t be held to the contract and T&Cs? I know it’s a really long shot but I’ll take anything to get out of it at this stage. If any of you more legally minded people can clear this up for me I’d really appreciate it. They haven’t sent me a bill as yet but I’ve only been with them 6 months but I know itll
    come sooner or later.
    Also is there any way to remove my data from their records and get rid of them once and for all?!
    Thanks Again everyone
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nigemcken wrote: »
    I sent them my credit report and have just signed each letter they’ve sent me to try and speed up the process as the PPI deadline is fast approaching.
    The PPI complaint deadline was last week.
  • Nigemcken
    Options
    The PPI complaint deadline was last week.

Sorry I’m meant to write ‘was’ not ‘is’.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    CMCs are now fully regulated, so if you do ultimately have cause for complaint you have access to FOS.

If you cancel their contract now, you'll definitely pay for their "services".

The best advice I can therefore offer is simply to see the PPI complaint through to it's conclusion.
  • IzzyH
    Options
    I have also been snared by this company. I used Ascend Finance to claim PPI last year. At the conclusion of business they sold my details to Bank Smart, who implied my current claim with the Ombudsman was now being taken forward by them. I signed the authorisation form (stupidly) and am out of the cooling off period, therefore cannot cancel.
    I returned the document requiring my attention to complete the action but they have sent me a letter saying the document is still outstanding. I cannot speak to anyone, there is no facility to do so.
    It would seem this is a scam and I'll be hit with a bill which I have no intention of paying.
    Has anyone sought or got legal advice on tackling these scammers? Perhaps it would be worth taking them to court, or contacting a TV show to investigate as a group?
    Thank you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure