Horlicks traditional

Morning everyone,
I know it’s a silly time of day but I’ve just got in from work and have settled down in bed with my book and a cup of Horlicks and it just doesn’t taste right! I bought a tub from Tesco a couple of weeks ago and that tasted strange. I assumed I might have found one from a dodgy batch so bought another, this time from Sainsbury’s. It still tastes odd!! I have a cup every night when I finish work over winter so I like to think I know my Horlicks and this isn’t it 😐. I understand there was a takeover a year or two ago but does anyone know if the recipe’s been changed? I am not a happy bunny if my Horlicks has been messed about with 😠
Thanks 😊 x

Comments

• PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I tried some from B&M a while ago and binned it because it just wasn’t right,I thought it was me who had changed over the years.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'd send the manufacturer an email with feedback. Horlicks is a brand with a long history and to some extent relies on its nostalgia factor*. With any luck they will take your feedback on board and send you some vouchers.

*Not that this made the blindest bit of difference to Mondelez when it messed with Cadburys.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • tonycarew
    tonycarew Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I too noticed a difference,it tastes stronger,more malty but not IMO better.I think it's more powdery and looks darker than it did.
  • Yes I noticed it has more the consistency of cornflour and doesn't taste so nice on it's own eaten by the spoonful. Will contact manufacturer and report back.
  • So I got in touch with Horlicks who told me this:

[FONT=&quot]The Horlicks recipe has not changed, either in its recipe, the ingredients we use or in nutritional values. However, the powder production process has had to change because an old production line had come to the end of its life and has been replaced with new more modern equipment.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bearing in mind, the powder produced on this new line has some different characteristics:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]• The powder is a little more yellow/creamy in appearance[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]• The powder is lighter and fluffier in the jar/on the spoon.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I would like to assure you that the colour is derived naturally from the malt. The lighter and fluffier powder texture makes it easier to make the drink because you no longer need to make a paste. It’s far easier than before because you can simply mix the powder directly into a full cup/mug of hot milk or hot water and stir vigorously. This way also means you can keep adding powder until you get the strength of the drink you want, the familiar taste you so love.[/FONT]
    So it seems it has changed, though they are saying it's only down to production line equipment. I find that a bit hard to swallow (;)) since I don't see how that would change the method of preparation.

But for me anyway the texture and taste is all wrong, so I think my Horlicks quaffing days are over.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Are you still getting the same weight for your money??

Is this fluffier, finer powder a ruse to actually give you less!?

Did you get any vouchers?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • The new stuff tastes quite different. The instructions also suggest that you add twice as much powder than before - maybe this is the real reason for changing things. The suggestion that you add powder to cold milk and microwave simply doesn't work, it just goes lumpy.
    All in all, time to move on from Horlicks, I've binned my jar.
  • Have just purchased Horlicks which has a new label and having read the previous comments, I am somewhat unhappy about this product.
    I might be totally wrong, but straightaway, I thoughr this new labelabel has a Chinese appearance about it !!
    When I opened it, the texture was completely different. Having being diagosed with Osteopernia and advised by a health professional to drink Horlicks as the calcium content is good for bone density, is it really as good as the old product ??
  • RayGloster
    RayGloster Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 14 February 2020 at 10:26PM
    jelnet said:
    So I got in touch with Horlicks who told me this:

The Horlicks recipe has not changed, either in its recipe, the ingredients we use or in nutritional values. However, the powder production process has had to change because an old production line had come to the end of its life and has been replaced with new more modern equipment.
    Bearing in mind, the powder produced on this new line has some different characteristics:
    • The powder is a little more yellow/creamy in appearance
    • The powder is lighter and fluffier in the jar/on the spoon.
    I would like to assure you that the colour is derived naturally from the malt. The lighter and fluffier powder texture makes it easier to make the drink because you no longer need to make a paste. It’s far easier than before because you can simply mix the powder directly into a full cup/mug of hot milk or hot water and stir vigorously. This way also means you can keep adding powder until you get the strength of the drink you want, the familiar taste you so love.
    So it seems it has changed, though they are saying it's only down to production line equipment. I find that a bit hard to swallow (;)) since I don't see how that would change the method of preparation.

But for me anyway the texture and taste is all wrong, so I think my Horlicks quaffing days are over.

Living abroad I was still using my old stock before a recent visit to UK to buy fresh supplies. On returning home I still had an open 500g tub of "Horlicks Original Traditional"  to finish alongside an open 500g tub of "Horlicks Original" that I had started in the UK. The tubs are identical in size and shape, the only change is the label, which is where I discovered the differences.
    1. Manufacturer was Glaxo Smith Kline, now Aimia Foods, who have lied in their response.
    2. Ingredients. Anti-Caking agent (E551) has been added by Aimia Foods.
    3. Nutritional values per 25g are different, less calories, less fat, less carbohydrates, more fibre, more protein, other values in vitamins list have changed and vitamin A has now disappeared from the list. It's amazing what effect Anti-Caking agent (E551) can have on a product.
    4 Instructions. Yes the manufacturers have claimed responsibility for this so called improvement.  For aeons I have made a paste with a little cold milk before adding the hot milk (or more cold milk when using microwave). New instructions say pour all the milk onto the powder, no making a paste. I have tried doing it the old way  with the new stuff but the paste is never smooth. Again, it's amazing what effect Anti-Caking agent (E551) can have on a product.
    5. The rip-off. Old instructions state "2 heaped teaspoons (25g)", whereas new instructions state "3-4 heaped teaspoons (25g)". Can't blame the Anti-Caking agent (E551) for this. The new ingredient could not have changed the weight to volume ratio by 50-100%, after all the tub is the same size. It cannot be that much "lighter and fluffier". They just want you to use more, after all who uses a scales to weigh out your bedtime drink powder. If you drink one cup a day, a 500g tub should last almost 3 weeks.
  • The taste and formula have definitely changed, taste buds don't lie.
    Horlicks was always my favourite bedtime drink but not any more - tastes awful - have not bought any since the change.
    I remember getting hooked on the flavour as a child, used to buy Horlicks tablets from Boots. Sad day when I tasted "New Horlicks". 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback