Options
1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 August 2019 at 5:23AM
    Options
    #41 Post is very helpful with links, thank you sunshine 62. The Junior model is interesting as the lady's height is only about 4' 10" - will look for more You Tube clips as have not seen one suitable for short people before.

Crimson
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sunshine62 wrote: »
    I purchased this scooter, with lower gearing and an extra battery, for my husband back in 2010.
    I chose it specifically because I could manage the handling and transport of the scooter (he was already not able to do so) ie pick it up and carry it up a few steps or onto a bus or easily lift it into the car, partially folded or not, depending on the vehicle.

https://www.travelscoot.com/ (lots of info if you scroll all the way down on the different pages)

It is:
    - light weight
    - fold-able = very portable
    - reliable
    - has a great customer service ethic
    - the batteries are approved for carriage by airlines.

He did find that, due to the inherent limitations of Parkinsons, he, not the scooter, felt rather unstable when going too quickly (!) over cobbles as there are no armrests to lean against. His version also does not have a motorised reverse gear so he just pushed back with his feet. Apparently newer versions now have motorised reversing abilities.

Here is a blog which is just chock full of great information: http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html Start at February 2009 as she is learning all the tips and tricks of TravelScoot ownership. (from TravelScoot website)

While it was initially an expensive purchase, it was an absolutely brilliant piece of equipment for while it met his needs. It has now been passed onto another family member as hubby needs a lot more physical support to remain upright so we have moved on to one of the largest scooters on the market -- it actually comes with DVLA registration!

My top tip -for any mobility issues- would be to go to a local mobility shop (or several) to try out different brands and models, both new and used. If you see a scooter user while out and about, ask the person using of their experiences. Also check to see if any DWP benefits / Motobility payments can be applied to providing the scooter.
    There's also a good, depending on where you live, used mobility equipment market online if one searches enough.

Good luck :)
    Interesting but these scooters are £2000 +
    And come from Europe, so servicing and more important, any warranty issues, may not be straightforwards (especially after 31th October)
  • LinW13
    LinW13 Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 August 2019 at 12:11PM
    Options
    I am planning to buy a Class 2 scooter - 4mph max for pavements and shops use. I have already got a hoist in the car boot and plan to keep the scooter there and take the lithium battery indoors for charging.

So here are a few points I've picked up on.

Batteries.
    Please think about where you are going to charge the battery.
    Will you need to remove it from the scooter?
    If yes, can you manage to carry a battery weighing 20lbs, or would you need a lithium one weighing about half that?
    All batteries need changing eventually. Lithium ones are costly.

VAT exemption.
    Don't forget about this - it is valuable.
    Online, check if the price you see is with or without VAT.
    Products are exempt from VAT if they are specifically for use by us disabled peeps.
    You have to self-certify and give the name of your condition. Mine is osteoporosis.

Government help.
    Always worth checking out if you qualify for an allowance.

About using buses.
    Are you going to stay in your scooter, or just carry it onboard?
    I'm not sure it would be practicable to dismantle the scooter for bus travel. So how small is it? Does it fold up? How small is it folded?
    Here is a link that explains a bit more about it all.
    https://adaptationstation.co.uk/pages/bus-friendly-mobility

What else?
    About the Travelscoot. It comes in at about 20 kilos or about 40 lbs depending on extras fitted. It comes apart, then folds like a pushchair. It costs about £2500 new and about £750 for replacement battery. Cheaper on eBay. Difficult to try before you buy as new ones come from Germany.

An alternative lightweight is the Supascoota - comes apart and folds. They have a range of models - with SLA and/or lithium batteries. Take a look at the videos on Youtube. This is the company that imports them to the UK. Again cheaper on eBay.
    https://www.cavendishhealthcare.co.uk/portable-mobility-scooters

If a scooter does not fold but does dismantle, what does the heaviest part weigh? Can you manage this?

Another suggestion is a lightweight folding powerchair. The ground clearance can be quite impressive. Here you can see what is available.
    https://www.johnpreston.co.uk/powerchairs/folding-electric-wheelchairs

Ground clearance can be a concern - some are very low to the ground. Almost all of them can stop working if the electrics get wet. Solid tyres never have punctures but give a firmer ride. Pneumatic ones can be difficult to blow up and a puncture might leave you stranded. You can get foam/gel filled pneumatics.

Most scooters have electro-magnetic brakes - take your hands off the throttle and it stops dead. Some have brake levers like a bike - you need to squeeze the levers to stop - my hands are not strong enough for that - are yours?

Also, it seems to me that the lighter and smaller a scooter is, the more careful you have to be about stability. I've been out and about in a manual wheelchair and I can tell you that pavements are not as flat and smooth as you think. And don't get me started about cobbles - cheaper than a massage chair but definitely an acquired taste.

A lot of local mobility shops sell ex-demo scooters or second hand ones taken in part exchange. It is always worth checking them out.

Finally, good luck in your hunt for a touch more independence - at a reasonable price!

Best wishes,
    Lin
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    LinW13 wrote: »
    I am planning to buy a Class 2 scooter - 4mph max for pavements and shops use. I have already got a hoist in the car boot and plan to keep the scooter there and take the lithium battery indoors for charging.

Batteries.
    If yes, can you manage to carry a battery weighing 20lbs, or would you need a lithium one weighing about half that?

VAT exemption.
    Products are exempt from VAT if they are specifically for use by us disabled peeps.
    You have to self-certify and give the name of your condition. Mine is osteoporosis.

Government help.

About using buses.
    I'm not sure it would be practicable to dismantle the scooter for bus travel. So how small is it? Does it fold up? How small is it folded?

What else?
    About the Travelscoot. It comes in at about 20 kilos or about 40 lbs depending on extras fitted. It comes apart, then folds like a pushchair. It costs about £2500 new and about £750 for replacement battery. Cheaper on eBay. Difficult to try before you buy as new ones come from Germany.

An alternative lightweight is the Supascoota - comes apart and folds. They have a range of models - with SLA and/or lithium batteries. Take a look at the videos on Youtube. This is the company that imports them to the UK. Again cheaper on eBay.

If a scooter does not fold but does dismantle, what does the heaviest part weigh? Can you manage this?

Another suggestion is a lightweight folding powerchair. The ground clearance can be quite impressive. Here you can see what is available.

Ground clearance can be a concern - some are very low to the ground. Almost all of them can stop working if the electrics get wet. Solid tyres never have punctures but give a firmer ride. Pneumatic ones can be difficult to blow up and a puncture might leave you stranded. You can get foam/gel filled pneumatics.

Most scooters have electro-magnetic brakes - take your hands off the throttle and it stops dead. Some have brake levers like a bike - you need to squeeze the levers to stop - my hands are not strong enough for that - are yours?

Also, it seems to me that the lighter and smaller a scooter is, the more careful you have to be about stability. I've been out and about in a manual wheelchair and I can tell you that pavements are not as flat and smooth as you think. And don't get me started about cobbles - cheaper than a massage chair but definitely an acquired taste.

A lot of local mobility shops sell ex-demo scooters or second hand ones taken in part exchange. It is always worth checking them out.

Finally, good luck in your hunt for a touch more independence - at a reasonable price!

Best wishes,
    Lin

This is a major concern.
    When I first stated looking I was advised against a lightweight one for this reason.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    This is a major concern.
    When I first stated looking I was advised against a lightweight one for this reason.

Also - avoid 3 wheel / close together dual front wheels - stability can be a problem
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Also - avoid 3 wheel / close together dual front wheels - stability can be a problem

Thank you :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • 50Twuncle
    edited 25 August 2019 at 12:02PM
    Options
    LinW13 wrote: »

Batteries.

VAT exemption.

Government help.

About using buses.

What else?

Best wishes,
    Lin

I have an issue with the stated warranty of the JohnPreston power wheelchairs - stated as 3 months on some models - surely UK law should cover them for 12 months minimum ?
    Fair enough - you can extend the warranty to 12 months - for an extra payment (PLUS VAT !)
    VAT should not be payable under any circumstances on disabled equipment
    It is a minefield out there !
  • TiagoF
    Options
    I bought an efoldi power chair from Britannia Mobility to my dad and so far, he loves it. I know it's not really a scooter but it's quite fast too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure