Owning a mobile phone will soon be compusory.

Comments

• vacheron wrote: »
    OP. if Santander won't let you bank properly without a mobile phone just switch banks to one with a £100-150 switching incentive and use that to buy a nice basic smartphone as well. :money:

Thanks for the suggestion but it has already been mentioned (not the £100-£150 bit). It doesn't help the people that have no signal coverage, handicap or just exercise the right not to own a mobile phone.

It has also been suggested that I might have known about this problem when I joined. I joined in 1970 and the bank keeps moving the goalposts.

To all the contributors who are happy with the proposed arrangement, I am pleased for you.
    It's not my fault your honour, they made me do it.
  • I don't agree with this being mandatory as there is still a lot of people that don't use mobile phones! Fortunately i have a mobile phone and i do bank with Santander so i have no problems there. I do honestly think there should be an option for using the telephone instead.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've recently purchased a mobile phone in order to be able to bank online and now find Lloyds (and Halifax) are determined to send me texts to say accounts are at or close to the limit and to do something about it.

I didn't provide my mobile number to be bombarded with these texts and have been able to opt out of receiving texts and calls for marketing purposes but there is no way of opting out of these alerts except by sending a Stop text back. I didn't provide the number for the purpose they are now using it (and don't need this "service").

And I don't need to receive a text to say that there's only £1 in an account when the only outgoing each month is a £1 SO.
  • Come on!! This is the 21st Century!

A smart phone can be bought for £10 and if nothing else, it's useful in an emergency or National crisis or accident, etc.

It's a pretty standard item to carry these days. Nobody is saying you must take it out with you. The bank uses it as an extra security layer, which is sensible.

You can be a Luddite and refuse to carry a phone or have a television set, but anybody who does, is just a little bit eccentric.

Get a cheap mobile and top-up sim card and the 'problem' is solved. Alternatively, you can bang on about how these corporations are forcing you to adopt these modern new-fangled technological thingies, but really, just get a mobile. It'll cost you £20 quid with a sim card, if that!

You're on the Internet, discussing this on an Internet forum for heavens sake!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 August 2019 at 12:05AM
    Come on!! This is the 21st Century!

A smart phone can be bought for £10 and if nothing else, it's useful in an emergency or National crisis or accident, etc.

It's a pretty standard item to carry these days. Nobody is saying you must take it out with you. The bank uses it as an extra security layer, which is sensible.

You can be a Luddite and refuse to carry a phone or have a television set, but anybody who does, is just a little bit eccentric.

Get a cheap mobile and top-up sim card and the 'problem' is solved. Alternatively, you can bang on about how these corporations are forcing you to adopt these modern new-fangled technological thingies, but really, just get a mobile. It'll cost you £20 quid with a sim card, if that!

You're on the Internet, discussing this on an Internet forum for heavens sake!
    How does owning a mobile phone help in an area with no mobile signal ? Don't say wi-fi calling because that is not a universally available service. https://www.simsherpa.com/networks/best-wifi-calling And what about the guidance from the FCA that states for those, amongst other groups, without a mobile / smart phone or limited mobile network access
    PSPs must provide a viable means to strongly authenticate customers in these situations.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You seem to be suggesting that there’s something outright wrong about this. The world is changing, as it always has been, and technology marches onwards. This means that yes, there will be services that you can no longer access sometimes if you lag behind..

What you describe as 'lagging behind' is a widening gap between the haves and have-nots.

Plenty of singletons do not have the disposable income for all the essential gadgets, technology, contracts ... and nowhere to secure them in shared accommodation or as a lodger.
    It comes down to a commercial / regulatory decision by your bank. They know that the occasional customer will need to move on but also know that they have to comply with regulations and that it’s prohibitively expensive to cater to everyone.

Which? are suggesting it a significant minority could be affected

"However, when we surveyed 1,838 Which? members in March 2019, nearly one in five told us they could be excluded from making online card payments entirely, either because they don’t own a mobile phone (4%) or have poor mobile phone signal at home (13%)."

TV license fee is regulations too: but to access a huge chunk of the services BBC constantly brag about you need broadband ... and a landline and a far newer TV. Hardly anyone I know socially has this, I am the exception.

Thankfully my bank - Coop - aren't trying to force me to have a mobile telephone. Instead I am dealing with a second batch of contactless fraud (one card cloned/ one card lost or stolen). This time over twenty completely out-of-character transactions.

Both times I requested no contactless, both times Coop send another contactless card. :mad: I cannot understand how chip-and-PIN superceded signatures for security, then contactless and hang the security.... IMO should be opt-in not a PITA to opt out of.

Sorry ranty. :o
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I’ve just got in from a terrible trip home. Wailing Street has been paved over, and the bloody police told me that I can’t ride my horse along it any more.

I asked how I am supposed to get home, and was told I’ll have to buy a bicycle, with lights, if I want to use it in future.

What right does anyone have to put me to this expense when I’ve been perfectly happy on my horse for so many years?

Pfff - next they will be insisting that I have a front door , with a letter box in it !!
    So I can receive letters that they send me - all at my expense too ! They wont even help pay for the upkeep !!

OP im afraid that times change, and you can choose to either keep up, or not.

Im sure you would be the first to complain about the LACK of security / 2fa if your bank account got rinsed by a scammer who had obtained you banking creds
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

A smart phone can be bought for £10

Please tell me where.
  • Please tell me where.

Gumtree, Facebook, Car boot.
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 August 2019 at 9:58PM
    lloyds bank have just held up an online purchase and sent me a txt asking me to enter a "pin" number

my phone was in the car , and wife was running son to airport
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport