Have you had to pay a fine relating to the High Income Child Benefit Tax Charge? Tell an MP...

Options
UKParliament
UKParliament Posts: 749 Organisation Representative
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
Failing to register your liability to the High Income Child Benefit Charge through a tax return can result in a fine.

On 3 September, Conservative MP for South Thanet Craig Mackinlay is leading a debate in Westminster Hall on the issue, and wants to hear about your experiences. He gave us the following statement:
I share the concerns of those residents in South Thanet who have received financial penalties for failing to register their liability to the High Income Child Benefit Charge, who have previously, as routine PAYE taxpayers, had no need to complete a tortuous tax return. I want to shine a light on this complex area of interaction between tax and benefit rules and these unjust fines.

Have you received a fine after failing to register your liability to the High Income Child Benefit Charge through a tax return? Did you feel the penalty was justified?

We will pass on your comments and experiences to Craig Mackinlay MP who will use them to inform his speech, he may even quote you directly during the debate. Links to watch the debate and read the transcript will be posted here when they become available.

Many thanks in advance for any input or insight you'd be able to share.
Official Organisation Representative
I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure