db pension

hi all this could be a long 1...

ive got a db pension thats frozen been in it 26 years, im in my late 40s no dependents never married, hoping to retire at 55 ive got diabeties take bp tablets and cholestral tablets
ive also got a dc pension witch is in a high risk fund (34k)
my plan was to take my 25% plus personal allowence at 55 from dc plan then everyyear take drawdowns from dc using myfull personal allowance that i hope to last me aprox 4 year takes me to aprox 59, then start claiming my db pension
as i have no dependents etc if i drop down dead all that gets returned to my estate is the money that i have put in which is small fry for what is in my pot
question is shall i sell my pension now as i have seen the rates are going good, or shall i just hold on a bit
ive no idea what to do any help would be great

thanks a lot

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Do you mean you want to transfer it to a DC scheme you can draw on because the CETV value is high. Have you been told what the value is? You will not be able to just sell a DB pension. You have to take financial advice first and most advisors will not advise cashing it in although your health issues may sway the balance. I would start by contacting the administrator, getting a CETV and finding out what you have to do and I am sure they are going to say you will need to seek financial advice first. You wont be able to access any pensions until 55.

I can see the logic though behind taking the 25% tax free lump sum plus your PA until the DB scheme kicks in. There are lots of people with diabetes, High BP etc who still live long lives so it is not necessarily a life limiting illness so I think I would be wary about cashing in the DB pension especially when you will only be 60 presumably when you take it. Certainly an IFA is probably a good idea for you though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • thanks for the reply, your right the admin requires to seek a ifa, i was thinking i could move the db pension to some sort of fund?? i got a early retirement quote last year and its expected at 55yo to get a taxfree of 80k plus 800pm so i put the 80k x 4 (25%) =aprox 320k in the pot at 55 so now i was working out at aprox 275kissh ??, anyway i can ask for exact figure what the pot is worth anytime

i just dont like the idea if i die then the majority of the pot remains with the company/investment co etc
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 May 2018 at 11:18AM
    thanks for the reply, your right the admin requires to seek a ifa, i was thinking i could move the db pension to some sort of fund?? i got a early retirement quote last year and its expected at 55yo to get a taxfree of 80k plus 800pm so i put the 80k x 4 (25%) =aprox 320k in the pot at 55 so now i was working out at aprox 275kissh ??, anyway i can ask for exact figure what the pot is worth anytime

i just dont like the idea if i die then the majority of the pot remains with the company/investment co etc

You need to ask the scheme for a 'Cash Equivalent Transfer Value', which is 'guaranteed' for 3 months, after which time it becomes invalid. That sounds plenty of time but it isn't, so make sure you get the CETV to your iFA as soon as you receive it.

You are entitled to one CETV free of charge in any 12 month period. The scheme may allow you to have more than one during that time but you will almost certainly have to pay (usually around £500 + VAT) and a second quote will normally only be issued once the first quote has expired.
  • thanks again for that info
    ive not even looked at going to a ifa wouldnt know where to start, would i have to pay him out of my own pocket if i go ahead with it
    also do all the fund have fees to pay, is 1% of the fund in fees, (a bit steep) my dc fund is charging 0.17% thats what i call fair

anyway i will get on with asking for a cetv then see into it then
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

There is not pot and its not an investment company. You are paying a monthly amount to get a selection of defined benefits. These would be a guaranteed annually increasing pension for the rest of your life along with a tax free lump sum at the start.

If you transfer the pension, you lose those benefits in exchange for a lump sum that must be transferred into another pension. That pension will be invested and will go up and down in value and your income may have to go up and down with it.

Depending on your draw rate, you may not have the scope to have an annually increasing income.

Depending on the level of investment risk you take, you may not be able to afford the draw rate. CETVs are often quite high in value when there has been long service. That means periods of relatively small losses in terms of percentages can turn into quite large monetary amounts. That can often spook people who are not used to investments.

For example, if your transfer value is £500,000 and its now sitting in a mainstream medium risk investment with a ballpark asset mix that most people end up with and a typical stockmarket crash of 25% occurs (the type you see every 3-7 years), that is a loss of £125,000. So, your £500k is now £375,000. If you saw your value drop from £500k to £375k, how would you react?

You could say that you would take lower risk from the outside. But that means long term investment returns are going to be lower and may not support the income. So, each withdrawal you take from the pension is unlikely to be covered by the investment returns and you will see capital erosion. So, that balance of £500k will start to fall and will accelerate. (less value means lower returns and each time you take money out, that is getting lower). It starts a spiral or erosion and the end game is running out of money.

The problem with risk-based options is that you have to take risks. Risks that will sometimes pay off and leave you in a very nice position and sometimes not leaving you worse off. It maybe that you live a frugel lifestyle and your required draw rate is low. It may be that you live a consumer lifestyle and have inadequate provision to maintain that in retirement but use the pension fund to keep it up and you will run out of money.
    ive not even looked at going to a ifa wouldnt know where to start, would i have to pay him out of my own pocket if i go ahead with it

If it goes ahead, it can come out of the fund. If it doesnt go ahead, then it comes out of your pocket.
    also do all the fund have fees to pay, is 1% of the fund in fees, (a bit steep) my dc fund is charging 0.17% thats what i call fair
    You are being unrealistic with your charges. Your DC pension benefits from economies of scale and probably part funded by the employer. Most workplace schemes are around 0.50% to 0.75%. Also, workplace schemes are basic and lack functionality (such as not being able to do drawdown). You need a drawdown scheme. Basic drawdown schemes can be available from about 0.35%. We use them sometimes but they consistently make less money than the more expensive options. Adviser costs typically add around 0.5% a year. Platform costs around 0.35% fund costs from 0.05% to 1.5%.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

It doesn't really; it goes to the scheme members who outlive you. A final salary scheme has this aspect of being a mutual insurance pool for the members, with the added advantage that the employer has to make up any shortfalls.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • thats great advice, i can see now why i should leave it as it is
    as the company has to match the lowest inflation rate and if theres a blip in the stock markets as you mentioned its not looking good, unless i can buy a bond that pays out a fixed sum plus inflation for life

btw off topic my dc pension is in high risk with blackrock, doing great lately out performing the safer funds, stick with it or move it about ?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    "unless i can buy a bond that pays out a fixed sum plus inflation for life"

Well, you can. There are index linked government stocks. The only trouble is that they give an annual return of inflation minus 2% at the moment! (If held to maturity.)

National Savings offers a five year bond that gives inflation plus .1% IIRC.

That's why people choose higher risk funds.

For most people, holding onto their DB pension should be the default option. Giving up the guarantees means taking on really big risks.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    thats great advice, i can see now why i should leave it as it is

On the contrary - a single person with various health issues might well fall into the category of being advised to transfer out! Your CETV allows for a spouse's pension and assumes you are in normal health, neither of which is true in your case.

Certainly worth looking at when you get closer to age 55, when you will be able to draw your pension - and might get a better deal if you do transfer (although in the absence of a crystal ball that is far from being a projection, just a comment).
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    National Savings offers a five year bond that gives inflation plus .1% IIRC.

They used to sell one; it was such good value for the buyer - and therefore expensive for the taxpayer - that they don't sell them any longer. They do let current holders "roll them over" into a new issue. We gain from this privilege though I must say I can't see any moral justification for it. The payout is now RPI inflation rate + 0.01% AER. And still we shall hold on to ours.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport