DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    OK, I didn't think that was the one to use because we are not asking them to prove the debt but on reading it again I can see where it could work. Thanks

It's a standard letter to send to a creditor/debt collector, when contacted about a debt.
    Dosent matter if you recognise the debt or not, your asking them to prove they have the legal right to ask you for payment, and to provide you with evidence of your liability for the debt.

As I said before thousands of these accounts get bought up in bulk, they ask you to pay without providing you with absolutely any evidence of liability whatsoever, and no evidence that they actually own that account.

They could literally be anyone with a fancy letterhead writing to you, always, always ask for proof.
    Adapt the letter to your own situation.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Afternoon all,

Got a refusal from Halifax for a Full and Final, but acceptance from Tesco Bank, so moving forward. Will just keep the monthly payment to Halifax for x number of years.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Boldhoof wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

Got a refusal from Halifax for a Full and Final, but acceptance from Tesco Bank, so moving forward. Will just keep the monthly payment to Halifax for x number of years.

Can I ask what % you offered Hellifax - we've got a F&F in on a smaller debt with them and are waiting to hear. We have two of our largest debts with them as well and were hoping to deal, so to speak
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Jacobs
    Jacobs Posts: 54 Forumite
    Still waiting for my plan to be set up
  • 2spicy
    2spicy Posts: 338
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Boldhoof wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

Well done. :)
    LBM - Oct - 08 DMP Started - Feb -09
    Total Debt - £77,688 .00
    DMP Support Member - 259

• 2spicy
    Forumite
    edited 20 February 2016 at 8:56PM
    Jacobs wrote: »
    Still waiting for my plan to be set up

Well done for getting this far. Honestly, it will be the best thing you ever do. out of interest, what is your total debt & how long is the proposed DMP due to run for ?

If you havnt already done so, youll have realised there are a load of non judgemental peeps on here, so if there is anything that you either want to share / want advice / or just want to shout that you've made your first payment... get posting :)
    Total Debt - £77,688 .00
    DMP Support Member - 259

• 2spicy
    Forumite
    Have spent the last hour going over everything with DH and he agrees going self-managed is the way to go (and do CCA requests and eventually F&F's) His only concern is SC have been a buffer and he feels, almost a security preventing any of our creditors taking things further and doesn't want going self-managed ending up being detrimental. So hopefully I can settle his worries with a few more answers that you highly intelligent lot can help with.

We have been on our DMP 12 years now with approx. another 15 to go. So all of our debts are off our credit records except for one Cabot re-defaulted in 2010 and despite fighting it they won't remove it. At least it will be off at the end of this year.

So the questions are:-

If we do F&F's and accounts get marked as settled will they show on our credit records again?

Some of the payments SC have been making to creditors will change significantly when we change to pro-rata (L1oyds in particular). Has this caused problems for anyone?

Our list of current creditors are
    NC0-Arr0w
    Cab0t
    ldem
    R0bins0n Way
    Tesc0
    Barclayc*rd
    Bla1r 0liver Sc0tt
    R8S
    Westsc0t
    Dlrect Leg*l
    LIoyds
    Are any of them particularly troublesome?

And if it makes any difference to any of the answers we are in Scotland:D
    Thank you in advance for all replies

personally, Cabot were difficult until they were put in their place, trhen afterwards they were no bother (calls at silly times even on weekends, asking for extra payments etc)
    Idem ... kept sending statements advising we were behind on our repayments when in fact the payments were going out on time but their system hadn't caught up (plus we paid on the 23rd of the month, and they wanted payments on the 20th ,, so were a little arsey about it.
    Barclaycard .. read our posts from a few weeks ago in the last 5 pages. but, to their credit, they have come good and have just gone really above and beyond what I expected.
    RBS didnt want to play ball and tried to make life difficult in the beginning, but once we established the ground rules, they soon fell into place.

As for the rest, have no opinions or never had any issues.
    Total Debt - £77,688 .00
    DMP Support Member - 259

• Can I ask what % you offered Hellifax - we've got a F&F in on a smaller debt with them and are waiting to hear. We have two of our largest debts with them as well and were hoping to deal, so to speak

Offered them 65% of the debt, same as Tesco, both still hold the debt. Halifax letter was very short, just a refusal and we will continue with the recovery process.
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Forumite
    Ariel82 wrote: »
    Just looking for a little advice,
    I've been in a Dmp for a few months now with stepchange and I'm thinking of going self managed so i can get the payments to the creditors without worry of being hit with a late payment fee. I appreciate what stepchange have done for me but it makes me anxious seeing that the likes of barclaycard are expecting it on the 4th and you know stepchange won't actually send it until the 10th even though they take it from your bank account on the 1st! (Yes I know stepchange are funded by the interest they make on our payments)
    Thoughts?

Yeah I moved my due date too, although BC chuntered a bit about doing it and I also asked them to refund my late fees which they did.
    So while you are deciding to go self managed, probably best to get the date moved ASAP and then you are sorted for the next step.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Forumite
    Have spent the last hour going over everything.

So the questions are:-

If we do F&F's and accounts get marked as settled will they show on our credit records again?

Some of the payments SC have been making to creditors will change significantly when we change to pro-rata (L1oyds in particular). Has this caused problems for anyone?

And if it makes any difference to any of the answers we are in Scotland:D
    Thank you in advance for all replies

Hi Scottishmum

You are definitely one of our long haul DMPers, you have a lot of advice and experience to give folk here.

I'm not sure what happens if you F&f on a long defaulted debt. You might get more response if you post this Q on the main DFW thread. Do let us know though as it's useful for future info.

I think your creditors might get a bit twitchy when you first go self managed, but once you've settled into new payments I'm sure they'll all be fine, they'll just want to make sure you are continuing to pay, doubt the actual amount will bother them too much after all this time.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills