PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shabby Chic; Volume III

Comments

• meames_2
    meames_2 Posts: 747
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i can't afford it but I would love to redo my kitchen. However I have just noticed that the plastic coating on one cupboard door has cracked and bubbled and could easily be pulled off, so matters (or at least cupbpard door replacements) might mean I have to change.

My kitchen has never felt 'right'. partly because my last kitchen was massive! But what would you do? For example would you remove the cupboard at the bottom that annoys the hell out of the gas engineer - and me because I can't set the boiler timer. Is it because the cabinets are white that it feels so cold. It is at the back of the house and gets no sun.

Any ideas?

kitchen.jpg
  • chalkysoil
    chalkysoil Posts: 1,662 Forumite
    what's in that fascinating place under the clock?

my kitchen annoys me too, if it makes your service man feel better here's my boiler.

104216178847817422_GbOhDclg_b.jpg

see it?!! Underneath the tumble dryer behind the drying racks. major upheaval and dragging out of washing machine on it's annual service
  • chalkysoil
    I have a cold light, north facing small sitting room with no sunshine, I got so fed up that it's now got cream walls, an orange throw and even an orange rug at the moment to cheer it up.
    104216178848767561_nposVlF9_b.jpg

good job my husband is easy going :D
  • meames_2
    meames_2 Posts: 747
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 16 January 2013 at 9:58PM
    That's my "office". Or the old outdoor toilet / and coal shed as it was previously known. It now has the back door in it, when originally the back door would have been immediately to the left of the person taking the picture. It also has a radiator which is why i never shut the door!

It would probably help if my boiler didn't break down twice a year as a minimum
  • chalkysoil
    funnyily when we got home last night there was a note on the door saying my boiler man had called to repair the boiler. I rang him up and it turned out to be a mistake, there's some new people up the road with a similar name who were waiting in and nothing happened for hours....

to complete my joy with our kitchen - the door fell off the fridge - the plastic hinge thing had shattered, the only way to save it was to reverse the opening of the door - so we have to stand in the washing machine cupboard to get in the fridge now. Hoping it will stop us snacking!
  • chalkysoil
    in Sweden where there is little sunshine, they (well the places I went in) paint the insides of the window recess light yellow to make it feel like sunshine is coming in. I've done that with one of my windows.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I am STILL on the aqua paint layer of my cabinet and still on the top half of it!

It's so fussy and detailed its taking ages. The top half has a first coat on it, but is going to need a second.

It looks better already though. It's just not a quick project with such a fussy cabinet.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    found the Miranda wallpaper on the Facebook page, thanks to the fan who posted!

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/fiftyonepercent/product/pip-studio-wallpaper-shabby-chic
  • Hi all,

The questions I have is, what's the best type of sander for the oak top? Grit type, belt sander or vibrating plate or would a chemical be easier? I don't want to damage the wood or create more work for myself.

Any tips would be great?

The trick to sanding is to use the right abrasive and have it connected to a vacuum. This top was in bad shape, used a Mirka CEROS random orbital sander, but the main tools in the chest are the vacuum and Abranet abrasive. 80, 180 and 320 grade Abranet and you can pretty much rip down and buff up any wooden surface. They do starter kit sanding blocks for about £30, I still use that regularly, it is very effective.

painted-pine-table-500x532.png

An alternative to wax is patina which is a polyurethane gel. It is on the sheeny side as in patina of wood. It is super tough for such a thin coating, . 2 very thin coats, 4 hours between coats, dries quickly and 2 days later is coffee cup ready.

There is also Osmo Wax oil, which is a super finish and dead easy to apply.
    It is no fun getting part way through the decorating and you don't know the next step.
  • Hi andy,

Have you stained the top of the table, or is that a natural wood finish? Looks amazing, exactly what I'm trying to achieve with mine. I'm going to get started on it tonight, I'll post up some before and afters.

Thanks to Emma and Andy for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport