British Gas Engineers incentives

gold4silver
gold4silver Posts: 20 Forumite
edited 5 December 2017 at 8:53PM in Energy
Ever wondered why your British Gas engineer is trying to flog you a Hive, carbon monoxide alarm or new boiler?

Could it be to do with the personal incentives which are on top of job credits and team rewards:

Product
Payment

Boiler remote diagnostics
N/A
Boiler Lead
£15
CO Detector
£1
Hive 2 £199 or £249
£10
Hive 2 £149
£10
Fernox Filter sealed system
£10
Fernox filter Open system
£10
CombiSave
£10
Trace-heater
£10
Hydroflow
£3
Condensulate
£10
Powerflush
£15
Other upgrade £199-£500
£10
Other upgrade over £500
£15

Comments

• C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If the on site engineers are pushing those products for hose incentives then they are either hard up , mugs or both.

Flog a boiler lead and get £15? HHahahahaahaaahahahaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

They are being taken for mugs.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • If the on site engineers are pushing those products for hose incentives then they are either hard up , mugs or both.

Flog a boiler lead and get £15? HHahahahaahaaahahahaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

They are being taken for mugs.

They don't have to do any work just call a number and pass the phone over, some make 1000's £ a year.
    The other parts, team reward and job credits are worth a lot more.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    They are still mugs and worse, some of them are ripping off customers. I have first had experience of one of their "engineers" mis selling a new combi boiler to an elderly lone female when it could in fact have been easily repaired with a part which is freely available.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • miniemma
    miniemma Posts: 505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No surprise to see power flush at the higher rate!
  • gold4silver
    edited 8 December 2017 at 12:20AM
    They are still mugs and worse, some of them are ripping off customers. I have first had experience of one of their "engineers" mis selling a new combi boiler to an elderly lone female when it could in fact have been easily repaired with a part which is freely available.

That would be very easy to prove and deal with legally, it would be unlikely to get that far, just a letter with the evidence would be enough in my experience, why don't you assist her getting redress?

miniemma wrote: »
    No surprise to see power flush at the higher rate!

Actually, quoting for a poweflush is far less about incentive and far more about conditions, once quoted, you are no longer covered for any sludge related repairs until it's done!

Really and honestly, you would not normally be quoted for a powerflush unless it's needed, it's very low on the list of products to be pushed.

Hive and boilers are at the top of the list and anyone not selling in sufficient numbers...........
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Suppose it depends on the Engineer you get, they've never tried to sell me anything.
  • SuiDreams wrote: »
    Suppose it depends on the Engineer you get, they've never tried to sell me anything.

The whole checklist is designed to help the engineer sell as they are supposed to go through all the no's they tick.

Are all parts available yes/no > That starts a conversation!
    Carbon monoxide alarm working and in date yes/no > Guess what I have one in the van for £29.99
    Magnetic filter checked yes/no > another conversation prompt
    All controls checked (including Hive if fitted) Yes/no > not going to be a no but still a conversation starter.

Turn the sheet over

This is your energy efficiency, a new a rated boiler will save £xxx.xx a year and £xxx.xx over 15 years.

Inefficient and lack of parts > now a two pronged approach.

Look at the checklist again, it's not really a list of things checked, its a checklist of products that can potentially be flogged.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    The whole checklist is designed to help the engineer sell as they are supposed to go through all the no's they tick.

Are all parts available yes/no > That starts a conversation!
    Carbon monoxide alarm working and in date yes/no > Guess what I have one in the van for £29.99
    Magnetic filter checked yes/no > another conversation prompt
    All controls checked (including Hive if fitted) Yes/no > not going to be a no but still a conversation starter.

Turn the sheet over

This is your energy efficiency, a new a rated boiler will save £xxx.xx a year and £xxx.xx over 15 years.

Inefficient and lack of parts > now a two pronged approach.

Look at the checklist again, it's not really a list of things checked, its a checklist of products that can potentially be flogged.

yes, but the Engineer I usually get just checks the boxes says its an old boiler and parts are limited, but no point replacing it while its working and doesn't try and sell me anything. Just does the job of servicing the boiler and leaves.
  • gold4silver
    edited 5 December 2017 at 8:54PM
    SuiDreams wrote: »
    yes, but the Engineer I usually get just checks the boxes says its an old boiler and parts are limited, but no point replacing it while its working and doesn't try and sell me anything. Just does the job of servicing the boiler and leaves.

Lucky you :D

That would not be good for his/her review, I think your engineers will be spending some time with the "success coaches" being guided how to promote company products in an "ethical" way.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    This is not for all BG engineers.

BG meter fitters only get an incentive for boiler leads. (appointment for salesman)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure