Baby steps towards mortgage freedom

Comments

• Happy Monday all :j

Weather here is lovely which means Button can show off her cuteness in a new dress at school pick up later. We had a walk this morning and picked up a few things from Mr T for dinners this week.

Spoke with Munchkin's teacher on Friday and she is going to speak to the boys and remind the class about "kind words" to each other so I'm glad I mentioned it.

Spent Saturday helping my brother do some spreadsheets as him and his girlfriend are buying their first house together. Think he was a bit concerned at my clear excitement over the spreadsheets (there were 3!!!) :D. Then Sunday we took the kids to Stratford and had a mooch around - Mr Moomin brought me a bag as the one I use for the gym and day-to-day stuff is looking shabby. He also got me a mug for my return to work next week - yup a whole year has gone and so quick!!!

Can't think of anything else to report so off to tidy up before Button is up again - have a good week everyone :)
  • Moominmamma89
    Moominmamma89 Posts: 217 Forumite
    Afternoon everyone - we got back from our weekend away this morning and have managed to get all unpacked and the necessary washing started - first load will be ready to hang up in the next 10 mins or so. We were very lucky with the weather but my god it is miserable here and has just rained since we arrived home.

Mr Moomin has taken the kids out to let Munchkin pick up his birthday cake for tomorrow - can't believe my little boy will be 6!!! Time is going too fast - talking of which my first day back to work is Thursday and I'm a little disappointing with myself for having not focused enough this year and started some sort of retraining. I definitely lack self confidence - been in my job 10 years this year and it was only ever meant to be for a year after finishing college while I figured out what I wanted to do, having been there so long makes it harder to take the risk of leaving.

We didn't spend all the money we put aside for the holiday so going to see if Mr Moomin will let me OP some ;).

Hope everyone had a nice bank holiday :).
  • Can't believe my little Munchkin is now 6 :eek:. We had a lovely day yesterday with an indoor picnic at home and a mini family party at my mums in the evening. I ate way too much cake :D.

Today is officially the last day of maternity leave so will be heading back into the office tomorrow but only in one day this week so shouldn't complain too much. Munchkin has decided to make me feel guilty by telling me he doesn't want me to go back and thinks I should stay home to look after his little sister - I think he reckons I am just gonna leave her to fend for herself while I'm gone :D.

Sewing class tonight and have a few things round the house to get organised today before tomorrow. Reckon there will be some extra funds to OP from overestimating of bills this month but will know how much tomorrow.

Hope everyone is ok :)
  • Moominmamma89
    First day of work over and done with yesterday - went fairly quickly and it didn't take too long for me to remember my way round the system. All in all it went well and it was lovely the see everyone and have some time to feel like more than just a mum. However I'm waiting on a call from a training provider about getting enrolled on a course for a career change, something I should have done while on maternity leave but hey ho! Being back yesterday made me realise it is not the job I want to be doing for the next 30 years so plan is to retrain and go self employed :eek:.

Can't believe it is June already and this month's OP will be me reaching target so I will be re-setting goals in one of my next posts.

Hope everyone is well and having more luck with their summer weather than we are today!
  • Moominmamma89
    Morning all

Start of a new week and I'm giving myself a shake and getting motivated. I'm signed up for my course with all the books arriving this week (hopefully no later than Wednesday) and have a phone appointment with my tutor on Friday to plan out my study - :eek: it's been nearly 10 years since I've done any studying so feeling a bit nervous but if I don't give it a whirl I'll only regret it.

We missed the first car boot of the year on Saturday as I only realised it was on when we drove past but now they have started again Mr Moomin has agreed to help sort through our stuff and take it to the next one. I did pick up some new fabric at the weekend as my skirt is finally finished so I'm moving on to a dress which I'm hoping to have done by July as me and Mr Moomin are going away for our anniversary.

The standard mortgage payment has left my account but hasn't yet hit the mortgage account so will make June's OP tomorrow. I have updated my signature though because the standard payment took us below the 75% mortgage band :).

Hope everyone has a good week x
  • I popped to the bank this morning with Button to pay in some cheques and we had a mooch round town before picking up a book for each of us and heading home - she is now napping while I have convinced myself that updating you all is more urgent that tidying the house :D.

June's OP of £342 was sent yesterday and once it hits the account I'll of made £3,116.84 in 2017 and have therefore reached my original target :T. I think I did set a revised one a few weeks back but we are discussing the possibility of a move (again!) and so I'm just going to plod along making monthly OPs without setting a definite target.

The problem we have is that the house is really too small as we brought it when we thought Munchkin would be our one and only child. My parents have a house that they rent out atm but will soon be empty and so they have offered to let us live there rent free for a few years to save which is such a great opportunity and really tempting as the house is much bigger and we wouldn't be paying interest on the mortgage. Only worry is coming off the property ladder I'm not sure how easy it would be to get back on - decisions decision!

In other news all my course material arrived yesterday and yikes there is loads! I'm trying not to panic and remember I can just work through it a bit at a time - find myself internally chanting " You can do this - you will be fine, You can do this - you will be fine, You can do this - you will be fine" :rotfl:.

Hope everyone is having a good week x
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have updated my signature though because the standard payment took us below the 75% mortgage band :).

x

Fab news! Well done :D

The opportunity of the bigger house without rent/mortgage payments sounds pretty fab too, how far away is it from where you are currently?
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • PrincessLou
    PrincessLou Posts: 503 Forumite
    Sounds a great opportunity. If you were living there rent free couldn't you rent your current house out, continue to overpay, therefore you'd be staying on the property ladder?
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • Hello all - strange news to wake up to this morning eh?

The house is not too far from where we are now so still convenient for school runs and is actually closer to my parents which would be handy as mum is having Button the days I'm working. We did think of keeping ours to rent out but having looked at the figures the rent we would get wouldn't cover the mortgage once you take agent fees and tax into account. Finance wise I think we would be about the same as the increase in bills is about what we pay in mortgage interest so it really comes down to having the extra space.

My June OP is yet to hit the account so will have to leave updating my signature until next week and my YouGov account is up to £16.00 - although I'm guessing with the election over the surveys may slow down.

Had my first phone appointment with my tutor this morning so that is now moving along and just need to st down this weekend and plan out my study. Also going for an eye test this weekend as having to focus on the screens at work is making my head hurt and vision blur but I can claim the eye test and any glasses I might need back through our work health insurance so that is good.

Anyway hope you all have a great weekend and fingers crossed we get some sunshine x
  • Hello everyone

Been very busy last couple of days - been getting into my course and first bits of coursework due 30 June so been getting organised so I can study while Button naps - sadly this means I no longer get a cheeky nap :o hopefully it will all be worth it in the end! Today's section was quite short so only took an hour.

Had my eye test Saturday and had to order some glasses which I can collect this weekend - test and glasses came to £100 which I will be able to reclaim in full so very happy about that - less happy about having to wear the glasses. Ended up having to pick from "Young Adult" range as my head is so narrow :rotfl:.

It's Mr Moomin's birthday today so we are going out for a meal to a local Mexican which opened earlier this year and have been really wanting to try. We got him a new Fitbit which is a sort of combined birthday/Father's Day gift although I will pick him up a token gift for Sunday so he has something to open.

Me and Button went for a walk to the Post Office this morning to renew Munchkin's passport as both he and my Granny are desperate for him to go to Ireland again to see her and it lapsed in February. It is lovely here today so after her nap I might take her for another stroll.

My YouGov is up to £17 but no other OP news. Have updated my signature as this month's OP has been applied.

Hope everyone is well and getting some sun :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure