Tesco warranty hassle

Options
On 10/07/16 I bought a Sony BDF5100 BLURAY PLAYER from my local Tesco for £84. I have discovered that the item has the following problem: [Will not recognise Blu-ray disks].

I returned the item to my local store with the original box and receipt well within the 1 year warranty and was told to contact the helpdesk, which I did in store at my own expense on my mobile phone, I was then told that the item cannot be replaced or repaired by tesco and has to be dealt with by the manufacturer Sony…..this could take up to 3-4 weeks......unaceptable...........not to mention the hassle of contacting Sony returning the item at my expense then having to wait 3-4 weeks is a joke.

Just a word of warning folks avoid buying from so called trustworthy retailers they are only interested in your money,i was truly shocked at this response from Tescos as we have spent thousands this year alone instore on electricals,laptops,tvs,macbook,dyson etc.......i now have zero confidence in Tesco never had hassle like this from Argos or even ASDA,LIDL or so called budget retailers.
You might understand if the item was outside the year warranty or i had no proof of purchase,no matter the money and cost is not the issue its the overall fob-off attitude that bothers me standing arguing instore with lackeys hiding behind head office terms and conditions.

And before anyone spouts the new laws regarding having to prove a fault existed after 6 months that is nonsense if the product develops a fault within 1 year its not my responsibility to prove anything period.

Thats why many folk will only every buy electricals from Amazon total piece of mind the customer is always right no hassle,no arguments,no delay or faffing around dealing with manufacturers hell with Amazon they even send you a replacement out the next day crikes before they even receive the faulty item back,any wonder they are now the biggest retailer in the world.

I have written a letter to Tesco complaints altho don't expect much to come of it and i've just purchased a replacement bluray from Amazon can't be bothered waiting 3-4 weeks to watch a film lol.

Just an angry rant folks so shocked and saddened at Tesco, be wary now we know these greedy stores policy regarding returned items simply spend your money where you will be appreciated and prob get the item cheaper also.

Whatever happend to good common sense and customer service all this hassle for £84 from a customer who spends hundreds in store every week.......any wonder they are losing market share..........

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Sony are acting as agents for Tesco, there's nothing wrong with this. They provided a prepaid label for returns.

Your understanding of the law is pretty ropey, you seem to misunderstand the difference between statutory rights and your warranty/ contractual rights. You mention the old fabled EU 2 year law elsewhere. Most worrying. Period.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2017 at 10:16PM
    Options
    As it's a rant, the best place for this is the PV&W board, not consumer rights.

As you are claiming under the warranty and not your statutory rights (they are 2 completely different things which you seem to think are the same), you need to read your paperwork to see what the terms are that Sony impose on any such claim. It may say to contact them directly and not the retailer, it may say you have to pay postage, it may even say you have to call them and sing the national anthem before you can return it. Obviously the latter is unlikely, but you get the drift.

Hopefully your in store conversation wasn't as confrontational as your post seems to be!
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    A rant, yes - but it's not fair to compare 'high street' and online retailers. They utilise two very different business models. Tesco has done nothing wrong - an item you purchased has developed a fault and by your description it will be repaired or replaced under manufacturer warranty. Tesco should pay for postage - they did when a cheap laptop I purchased from them went wrong. Yes, you will have to wait a few weeks but that's how it works. When we buy items from these places, we all know what we're getting ourselves into, and we shouldn't pretend otherwise by expressing outrage. We know the likes of Tesco and other supermarket giants don't have onsite repair facilities, we don't expect John Lewis style service...these are stack em high and sell em reasonably cheap type places. So long as they stick to the law when things go wrong, then that's about all we should expect. Anything more is a bonus.

Amazon on the other hand deals in extreme volume processed at extreme speed. They don't have the same overheads of the high street and out of town retailers. It is simply more efficient and overall more cost effective for them to deal with a faulty item by replacing it without question. But that is at there discretion.
  • paweaz
    paweaz Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    only in good old blighty ehh.........Get a grip folks its people like you that have our rights at an all time low,who cares if its consumer law,warranty law whatever...its wrong and no way to ensure consumer loyalty from an already struggling retailer....i spend at least £300 per week in Tesco on fuel and weekly shop not to mention the thousands i have spent on electricals,yet they are gonna butt heads with me over an £84 Bluray player still in warrany i might add..........comparing online and stores is apples and oranges we order a product and pay the same hard earned cash for it and expect the warranty to be honoured in a timely fashion....i'm sorry but 3-4 weeks is not a timely manner.......if they cannot compete with the likes of Amazon then sadly their market share will continue to fall.I used to run a computer store and never once did i fob customers off to the manufacturer, i replaced any genuinely faulty items which i then returned to the manufacturer myself at my cost..............even if the customer was trying it on i would still sort them out...guess what they continued to buy from me for years to come........doesn't take a genius to figure that out.......the point here is not to argue the rights and wrongs of uk consumer law its to highlight the poor decision making and even poorer customer service in and highly competitive industry period...end of...........we can split hairs all we want it doesn't change the fact that its p*ss poor service form one of the uk's largest retailers...

"Hopefully your in store conversation wasn't as confrontational as your post seems to be!"
    Indeed it was once the fob off began rightfully so as i do not suffer fools gladly nor wishy washy dealings with jobsworths hiding behind terms and conditions ........
    no doubt many terms that wouldn't stand up in court mind......but thats ok were Great British we take it up the a*se on any issues regarding our rights,roll over.......woe betide us if we question the status quo or stand up and be counted.........

Anyway this post wasn't designed as a p"ssing contest with smug repliers it was to warn fellow consumers of these practises........
  • paweaz
    Options
    theres a reason some retailers have been in business for over a century........

The phrase “The customer is always right” was originally coined in 1909 by Harry Gordon Selfridge, the founder of Selfridge's department store in London, and is typically used by businesses to convince customers that they will get good service at this company and convince employees to give customers good service
  • paweaz
    Options
    "Sony are acting as agents for Tesco, there's nothing wrong with this. They provided a prepaid label for returns.

Your understanding of the law is pretty ropey, you seem to misunderstand the difference between statutory rights and your warranty/ contractual rights. You mention the old fabled EU 2 year law elsewhere. Most worrying. Period."

do you work for Tescos ? lol

Sadly your incorrect i was offered no prepaid return label and i do not care for Sony....i did not buy the item from Sony i bought it from Tescos and my contract is with them PERIOD.....if they want to return the item to sony at their expense then thats fine so long as its done in a timely manner....3-4 week for a bloody bluray player i don't think so....maybe in your universe.....
  • mije1983
    Options
    At first I was worried that in your first post it was a serious thread. However, you have put my mind at rest with your subsequent ones that you are just joking around. Although it's a bit disappointing that it took until post 7 for the 'you must work for x retailer' to come out. It's usually quicker.

However, just in case you are serious then if you are unhappy with the law as it stands you need to lobby your MP about it. I'd also advise that you read up on your statutory rights and the difference between those and a warranty as you seem to have them confused. One is a legal right, one is discretionary.

Anyway, as I said this is really posted in the wrong board. This is the consumer rights board, not the consumer demands board and as such the board (and in turn the replies you will get) is based on 'rights' in law. The PV&W board is the place for a vent of any other description.
  • paweaz
    Options
    Maybe i'll go back tommoro cap in hand....and tell them it's all been a misunderstanding.......after all if its in the small print its always correct.....or perhaps i'll just stop spending my £5000+ yearly spend in Tesco....multiply that by several hundred peed off consumers treated the same way sort of adds up doesn't it......the law is there to protect us not the retailers which is what seems to be happening these days sadly.......why....because too many take it for granted and are not prepared to fight for our rights or get mired in bullsh*t ilegal terms and conditions that in fact have no bearing in a court of law.
    Rather than argue semantics i'm just posting a warning to folk like myself...........
  • mije1983
    edited 18 May 2017 at 12:24AM
    Options
    :wall: :doh:

Thank you for the warning. While incorrect, I'm sure the good intent was there. The law is there to protect both parties.

It's just a shame that you refuse to educate yourself to give you a better understanding in the future. Hopefully others who read your 'warning' will not be so tunnel visioned.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    paweaz wrote:
    i spend at least £300 per week in Tesco on fuel and weekly shop not to mention the thousands i have spent on electricals
    paweaz wrote: »
    or perhaps i'll just stop spending my £5000+ yearly spend in Tesco....

Maybe you should have one week off from your Tesco expenditure and buy something useful

Maybe then you'll be able to do this....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure