SW Trains - caught without ticket

Hi

I know it's no excuse but I was late for the train to work one morning and didn't top up my oyster card - so I didn't tap in. There were inspectors at the station and they saw there wasn't enough money on there for me to pay for the journey, I had the money with me to top it up. They questioned me and filled in a form, I said I was going to top up when I got to my destination and I knew I would be charged the maximum for only tapping in one way so wasn't trying to avoid paying. Of course I can't prove that though. Today I received a letter saying for me to complete my correct details and return the form while they consider the evidence.

The person who questioned me didn't show me a badge and I wasn't offered a penalty fare, he said it was just a warning. Does this change things at all? I was travelling from Worcester Park and stopped in Raynes Park.

A friend who was rushing with me had money on her card but also didn't tap in (as we ran for the train) and was sent a letter asking for £85 in costs.

Does anyone know the likely outcome for this? Should I have been offered a PF or should I have been shown a badge? I know I was in the wrong but is it possible they will settle out of court? I've barely slept since getting the letter as I'm terrified of going to court over this.

Thank you for any advice in advance.

Comments

• vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Does it ask you to sign this form ?
    If so it is not a form, it is a contract.
    Sounds like someone has fudged up the evidence.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Livingthedream
    Livingthedream Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 March 2012 at 9:44PM
    A friend who was rushing with me had money on her card but also didn't tap in (as we ran for the train) and was sent a letter asking for £85 in costs.

For an out of court settlement £85 is cheap.
    Does anyone know the likely outcome for this?

Does the letter state what your going to prosecuted under ie Byelaw 18 or Railway act 1889?
    Should I have been offered a PF or should I have been shown a badge?

Not if the Inspector thought that you had the intend to avoid the fare, as to the badge/ID it should have been shown but proving it will be difficult, your word against his.
    I know I was in the wrong but is it possible they will settle out of court? I've barely slept since getting the letter as I'm terrified of going to court over this.

Thank you for any advice in advance.

The intent of prosecution letter, it will give your chance to state your version of events. This is the time to write your groveling letter and hopefully keep the case out of court, write it something like this;

Explain that you are deeply embarrassed, that you are fearful of potential consequences, and wonder if they would be prepared to take no further action if you meet all reasonable costs of the matter so far. Worded it carefully, the letter must not admit guilt of an offence, but accepts a 'liability'.
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • Yeah, it says "if you consider that there are further mitigating factors that may influence any decision that may be made about this matter you are invited to to respond ... please ensude that ALL details below are completed and returned to ensure our records are correct" It also says "this is not a request for payment" & "additional correspondence may incur departmental costs".
    The details requested are Name, DOB, email, occupation, phone number, NI Number, address then signature and date.
  • vax2002
    Yeah, it says "if you consider that there are further mitigating factors that may influence any decision that may be made about this matter you are invited to to respond ... please ensude that ALL details below are completed and returned to ensure our records are correct" It also says "this is not a request for payment" & "additional correspondence may incur departmental costs".
    The details requested are Name, DOB, email, occupation, phone number, NI Number, address then signature and date.

Its just a grab to get a confession and the correct details, someone has cocked up filling in the first form.

Lucky escape ?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Not if the Inspector thought that you had the intend to avoid the fare, as to the badge/ID it should have been shown but proving it will be difficult, your word against his.

There are cameras pointed right at where he was questioning me so it will show that he didn't. The following week (and a few times since) they were there again but with some kind of police checking tickets so I assumed I had been lucky they weren't there before and definitely learned my lesson.

So if the camera proves he didn't show me a badge, will that help me settle out of court?
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone know the likely outcome for this?
    Well, can you tell us what the outcome was in terms of whether you paid for your journey, for a start? did you buy a paper single at your destination or did you incur a maximum Oyster fare by touching out? Neither of these gets you out of the situation, but could potentially help demonstrate that you did pay for that journey.
    Should I have been offered a PF ?
    Did you indicate that you might have been attempting to travel without the means of payment? (for example by presenting an Oyster card that not only hadn't been touched in but didn't have sufficient credit to touch in) If so that's a fairly straightforward prosecution and it is correct for them to consider a prosecution rather than charge a fare in that case.

If you had enough money to top up, then you surely had enough money to buy a paper ticket?
  • vax2002 wrote: »
    Its just a grab to get a confession and the correct details, someone has cocked up filling in the first form.

Lucky escape ?

So how should I respond to this?

Thanks to both of you for the advice so far, definitely easing my worry a little.
  • vax2002
    I know how i would respond, by not giving them any information which may incriminate me, but the general concession on here is if you dont drop yourself in it Robocop will come for you.
    I can not see any other reason for asking you to provide such detailed information than someone cocked it up first time and they are hoping you drop yourself in it.
  • yorkie2 wrote: »
    Well, can you tell us what the outcome was in terms of whether you paid for your journey, for a start? did you buy a paper single at your destination or did you incur a maximum Oyster fare by touching out? Neither of these gets you out of the situation, but could potentially help demonstrate that you did pay for that journey.

I can't remember the outcome - he didn't charge me for the ticket on the bridge though. I think I would have bought one from that scaring me but I'm sure saying "I think" doesn't work! :-)

Did you indicate that you might have been attempting to travel without the means of payment? (for example by presenting an Oyster card that not only hadn't been touched in but didn't have sufficient credit to touch in) If so that's a fairly straightforward prosecution and it is correct for them to consider a prosecution rather than charge a fare in that case.

I had an Oyster card with only about £1.10 on it and I think the journey was £1.60 or so? I said repeatedly to them I had £5 to top the Oyster up at my destination so they knew I wasn't travelling without money for my fare though.

If you had enough money to top up, then you surely had enough money to buy a paper ticket?

I did have money for a paper ticket, I only had a £5 note in cash but it was due to running for the train that I didn't buy a ticket.
  • I don't seem to have mastered the quote function too well!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure