Premium Text scam

Well been on the phone with Tesco mobile trying to explain I don't like their enabling of Premium Text service where they allow you to be subscribed without sending a text. Why isn't it seen as a fraud. Anyone else have this.

I got my money back, and have premium text blocked but they refuse to see that they wont even flag it up as being unsavoury behaviour. And shoddy practices. If there regulations allow texting and charging you that cant be right.

would link to the sound clip but cant as new user.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I don't think it's Tesco-specific.

Complain to our beloved regulators.
    Ofcom+PSA ? - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/policy/premium-rate-services
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    As grumbler has indicated, it's not Tesco Mobile's regulations that are allowing this, but Ofcom's.
  • Thanks for the link filled out a complaint. see what happens.
  • addendum. After sending Email to CE of Tesco Head office executive relations team contacted me, so there is higher than Customer services. And seems Tesco mobile do make money from these text when you reply STOP to the they charge you 10p for the privilege of saying no to a service you didn't sign up for. :(
  • pmduk
    Londonsmee wrote: »
    so there is higher than Customer services.

That is often people on a different desk within the Customer Services department.
  • But to say there no one that can talk to is wrong.
  • I'm afraid Tesco are not alone in tolerating and facilitating these scams. These scams are proliferating on all networks, apart from EE who introduced new rules in February 2018 which have virtually eliminated them from that network. Unlike Giffaff, who also operate on the O2 network, Tesco do claim to be able to bar these charges. Has anyone put this bar to the test?

It's also not true that the networks don't profit from these scams. Recent discussions with someone who works in the industry have revealed that the networks keep 30% of these charge. I don't know how this would be shared between O2 and Tesco.

If you've been scammed and are having difficulty recovering your money, the networks generally won't help. The Phone-paid Services Authority is not an ombudsman, they are a regulator. They will log your complaint and if they get enough complaints they will investigate the company or service. You cannot "escalate" your dispute to them, nor will they get a refund for you.

You are supposed to be able to escalate your dispute to your network, once you have discussed the issue with the "seller" of the "service" you are supposed to have "purchased". This is provided for in the Payforit rules.

The most effective means of obtaining a refund is to use the Small Claims procedure. These companies don't want to have to justify their dubious practice in court. Almost invariably they will settle when they receive a letter before action.
  • I fit refunded. Was more wanted to stop the practice of them saying you had to opt out.
  • pmduk
    Your best way of doing that would be to contact your MP and ask them to get the regulations changed.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tesco do claim to be able to bar these charges. Has anyone put this bar to the test?

I asked Tesco to bar these charges and YES they did with no drama
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport