Some Compers Grrrr

I think I only speak about 0.1% of compers but do any of you get annoyed with others?

Let me explain, so there are plenty of Twitter competitions out there and many of us will use Twitaculous to enter so many each day however there are some that fall through the net - many like me will rely on others to RT or comment on those that Twitaculous doesnt pick up. However despite us all helping each other to win competitions some take it far too seriously and too far.

I often have people RTing my tweets that I enter and don't care one bit as I hope someone wins from it but over the past few days I have found the people whose tweets I RT block me as they want to win the competition themselves.

So for the 0.1% that block me or message me saying stop entering the competitions they enter - I hope you don't win anything, stop being so selfish.

Rant over :rotfl: - have a good day folks and fingers crossed you all win something.

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Normally you need to retweet the original tweet and not one someone else has retweeted - I have seen people express concern (probably unfounded) that their entry will be disqualified if someone else retweets it so they block people who do it, it's also something some hacked/fake accounts do and if it does not count as an entry there is no point in retweeting the retweet.
  • hertzyabazas
    hertzyabazas Posts: 33,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Instead of RTing their tweet, Click on the date of their tweet and it brings up the original tweet
  • hdh74
    hdh74 Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    I personally think Twitaculous is bad form and won't use it - but each to their own. And some people think that if you rt their tweet you invalidate their entry - no idea if this is true. So I can certainly see this from both sides of the coin.
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • xoxlauraxox
    xoxlauraxox Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    never heard of Twitaculous... I get a lot of ppl retweeting my tweets but i'm pretty sure that's not always classed as an entry... I always go to the competition and retweet the original tweet. I'm not a twitter fan so won't get into how frustrating I find it... on the plus side i've gone a week without getting a shadow ban #miraclesdohappen
    Thanks to everyone that posts :T:money:
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Guilty.

But, technically, not because I want to win the competition (doesn't everyone want to win?), but mainly because if they retweet one of my comps then they go down my timeline and retweet them all - regardless of whether the comp is still running or not! Then I get tons of notifications. It's not that difficult to find the original post from my retweet and retweet the original. That's what I do if I find a comp from someone else's RT.
  • Minnibix
    Minnibix Posts: 263 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I thought it was comping etiquette to not retweet someone elses tweet but to click on the date and tweet the original tweet, so that person doesnt get bogged down with motifications. Is that what Twitterlicious does ??
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have to say that there is nothing worse than getting notifications when someone keeps rt'd your comp tweets. It's extremely annoying.
    It doesn't take a second to actually click on the original comp tweet and RT it that way.
    Having said that, I appreciate that sometimes it can be done by accident, I'm guilty of it too, but I undo the thing and do it properly.
    I don't mind the odd one slipping through, but it is those who continue to do it, even after you have asked them to stop. I had one, who was an old school friend that told me that they could do what they liked, and if it bothered me, then tough.
    Mute, block and unfollow are great tools.
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • I can confirm if people RT your RTs, it shows up as a RT on the original post. A friend of mine retweeted one of my RTs and won a holiday to Bali. Not bitter much!
  • I block. Dont take it personally its just i had hundreds of retweets during the early hours from bikini clad spam bots from india so now if anyone retweets i just block - and just like those who dont have time to go to the original tweet - i dont have time to go through each profile to see if they are a spam bot or not, it would literally take me all day to do it as thousands of bots spring up daily - its nothing to do with being selish - at any time anyone (who hasnt retweeted me and been blocked) has the opportunity to look at my tweets and go to the original one to retweet from there.

There is a good site called "competition database" that you can just register with and one click entry system if you cant be bothered to find original tweets. But just like Facebook its getting harder to win on twitter as so many more compers every day.

Good luck
    Logic will get you from A to B but imagination can take you anywhere!
    Being honest may not get get you a lot of friends - but it will get you the right ones.
    Let your past make you better, not bitter.
  • hertzyabazas
    hertzyabazas Posts: 33,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I block. Dont take it personally its just i had hundreds of retweets during the early hours from bikini clad spam bots from india so now if anyone retweets i just block - and just like those who dont have time to go to the original tweet - i dont have time to go through each profile to see if they are a spam bot or not, it would literally take me all day to do it as thousands of bots spring up daily

Simple way to get rid of spam bots is to go to

'Notifications' and tick the following boxes

Mute notifications from people:

Who have a default profile photo
    Who haven't confirmed their email
    Who haven't confirmed their phone number

Seems to have worked for me and a few others
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing