From debt to freedom...

Comments

• Thanks for the porridge tip Louby, I'll remember that for next time. I doubt I'll be able to see her until the end of term. Her term ends before mine so I'll go and collect her then. My parents are hoping to see her for a weekend on November so that will give her something to look forward to:).
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The time went so quickly when we were visiting DD1. We didn't get time to go to the nearby NT property but we did have a wonderful time completing a river walk that is close to her halls. It was so calm and peaceful and we spotted a couple of coots on the river bank:). All free fun :).

It sounds like a lovely visit, and brought back great memories of my visits when my younger two were at Uni. Formerly industrial Northern cities now have some beautiful areas to explore. I like Louby's idea of the porridge pots too - great money saver!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Today has been quite busy. I got some work done for next week but not enough so tomorrow I'll have to get more done. DD3 helped me in the kitchen today and between us we made a batch of chocolate brownies, a batch of vanilla muffins, an apple cake,a lemon drizzle cake and a batch of Chelsea buns. I was a little enthusiastic with the Chelsea buns and put them on top of the wood burner to prove but it was too hot and the bases started to cook, so they were a little crunchy on the bottom :doh: Ah well, won't do that again!

I have my grandmother visiting so we've had the wood burner going all day to make sure she was warm enough. Thankfully some clothes have been dried on the aired in front of the fire which all helps.:)
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 October 2017 at 2:25PM
    I've used some of the windfall apples to make a huge apple crumble for pudding to follow roast chicken.:)

I've paid the nursery fees for the coming week and transferred some money to DD2 for lunches. She is hoping to pick up some hours at college as the students can cover extra front of house shifts. I've been through my budget for payday on Tuesday and have everything allocated and £1 to spare. That does include the increased standing order to the emergency fund, raising it from £25 to £50 a month. I've used the money saved from not paying the loan anymore to allow for this.

The ex went up to the allotment yesterday. He doesn't tend to use it except to dump occasional loads of cut grass. He was not happy about the amount of weeds etc:(. The only thing I could think of to help keep the weeds down and the ground naturally rotovated (and manured) is to keep a couple of pigs. The cost of weaners isn't too bad, as DS1 and I have looked into it before. The biggest cost will be an ark and electric fencing to keep the pigs within an area and then rotate. Part of the allotment is a wooded area so in terms of habitat I think they would be quite happy. Something for me to think about and weigh up. I would need to apply for a Defra/ holding number which is completely unknown territory for me.
  • Payday today, so I've usd £40 o pay off the balance of the cc. The regular payment for the windows has gone out. Progress on this is painfully slow, so I must try to squeeze in overpayments wherever possible. I've also paid £150 to family member to start making repayments. I was making regular payments until the TC fiasco but am glad to be able to pay some back. It does feel like I'm chipping away on lots of fronts but hopefully I'll see progress soon.
  • I've had a very busy week at work and left today feeling totally drained. Consequently I completely messed up on the menu plan and cooking. I get to a point occasionally when I'm so tired I can't think of anything to do so I got pizzas from Tesco on the way home. I was so cross with myself afterwards especially as we could have had something on toast for speed. Perhaps I need to write a post it of ideas for Thursdays and stick it on the steering wheel of the car so I can see it before I drive home which might stop the total culinary fog descending!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You are juggling so much by yourself, there are bound to be some bumps along the way. Are Thursdays especially busy? Perhaps we can come up with some ideas for you.
  • helsbell
    helsbell Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think the occasional pizza at the end of the week is OK. You have a lot on, and sticking a pizza in the oven will let you sit down for 5 minutes.
    SPC 11, No. 062 DFD November 2020 :(
    Aug 2017 B'card £5006.83 BoS £1086.59 MBNA £0 Total: £6093.42
    Aug 2018 B'Card £995.06 BoS £863.43 MBNA £3,644.98 Total: £5503.47
    9.68% paid off
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    I buy the cheap cheese and tomato pizza to use as a base, and then add whatever toppings we happen to have in the fridge...chorizo, pepper, mushrooms, whatever and add extra cheese ! I keep a couple of pizza bases in the freezer for such emergencies. I also resort to beans on toast most weeks !
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    And I would also suggest if your ex is unhappy about the weeds at the allotment, then he should do something about it. You have enough to do !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback