20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I am WFH today

Today my new updated driving licence arrived. It is funny to see it. Driving will become a reality in the future once again and this is the physical proof :)

I paid my electricity and gas bills

HOUSE GOALS

The squirrel man has been here to set up in the loft for operation squirrel eradication.

I will call the second double glazer next week as I need a few days off from stuff on the house. As long as the window goes in by the end of June I am within my targets.

I texted the electrician to say I will be in touch when the squirrel situation is sorted so he can address the wiring in the loft.

I threw away an old radio and some rubbish from the loft. I am trying to ensure I use my household rubbish to get rid of as much miscellaneous stuff as possible. Bit by bit. I pay enough council tax!

SELF CARE
    I have booked an eye test for Monday.

I have lots of plans for Monday socially and I have been pushing myself. Another busy week approaches. Tomorrow I will spend the day gently. I want to have a swim, have a coffee in the window of a coffee shop and read a book. Small pleasures.

I found a book review for The Art of not Falling Apart. The author states one of her pleasures in life are crisps and wine. Mine too but I have stopped both. Dame Vera Lynn has a small bag of crisps and a glass of wine daily too. I am thinking of (mindfully) reintroducing both. I’m buying the book and I am definitely having a glass of fizz tonight.

I hope you are all enjoying your Saturday :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,241 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Good news on the eye test :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You have been very busy on the house front , plus hope the blasted squirrels get sorted out once and for all , they need a new home not in your loft.

Driving licence coming , not long now till you get your car , then losing your bus pass won't be a worry . Losing your car keys in the house will be the problem. Mine can be anywhere , including the fridge , don't ask.

Have a good restful day.
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You're really cracking on with things. Fantastic.

I hope you enjoy your crisps. ;):D
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • beanielou
    Happy Sunday :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• doingitanyway
    I woke up early today thinking of money and wondering how to make ends meet over the next 6 weeks. :(

This month is beginning to feel squeaky tight. My account is staying in credit by a whisker and I am constantly having to move funds to avoid being overdrawn. Now there are no funds to move. I have about £80 in my CU account left to get me through until payday at the end of the month so will need to call as soon as they open or I will be overdrawn. :o

Thinking of why money is so tight and it is because I paid for both gas and electricity as a quarterly bill and losing my travel card has meant paying fares twice for the same period.

I promised myself I would open a separate account for spending and I haven’t done that. I do need to get these things in place. It isn’t just about being debt free. It is about staying debt free and ensuring money flows simply without any drama.

I have to pay for the car in June. It is going to be a busy month and an expensive month and that will wipe all my available funds out again.

I also have a mini break in June with no extra funds allocated…

I have to get glasses sorted so I can see long distances :o

I will need to pay for other car related costs such as petrol and insurance

I have to pay for all the squirrel work and the roofer will need to fill the holes and ensure there won’t be re-entry.

I have a concert on Wednesday with a friend and she is happy for me to owe her the £20 for the ticket but I think I will pay her. Time to break this habit as she is used to me having debt but now I don't ;)

I will be having lots of NSDs coming up.

I will be eating from the freezer and supplementing with F&V.

Will these measures see me through June? I need to prepare a budget and see…

I really feel I don’t want to owe anyone anything but I need to be realistic about the next 6 weeks...

Welcome to your week everyone :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    Have a good week.

• JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Sorry that you've got money stresses - I'm there too at the moment, but it's just been a busy and expensive month and we have lots coming up over the summer. I feel your pain!

Remember that although you've spent a lot this month, you have achieved a lot - on top of what you mentioned above, you also got your roof fixed so it's not surprising that things are tight.

Perhaps spending a little time going through what the rest of the month looks like will put your mind at ease so you know exactly where you stand. I need to do this today!

Have a great week :)
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • doingitanyway
    JoJoC wrote: »
    Sorry that you've got money stresses - I'm there too at the moment, but it's just been a busy and expensive month and we have lots coming up over the summer. I feel your pain!

Remember that although you've spent a lot this month, you have achieved a lot - on top of what you mentioned above, you also got your roof fixed so it's not surprising that things are tight.

Perhaps spending a little time going through what the rest of the month looks like will put your mind at ease so you know exactly where you stand. I need to do this today!

Have a great week :)
    That is very helpful post JoJo. I have done an awful lot this month and I am so happy about my porch and roof but it comes at a cost of course. I will do exactly as you say. Lots of travel today so I'll take my notebook and budget so I know where I am. I hope your calculations work out too :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Thank you! I'm trying so hard to not just write the month off because I know as soon as that happens, it's so easy to lose track and eat into the overdraft. We worked hard to pay that off last year and I WILL NOT go back there.

I'm so time poor for the next couple of months that I know the temptation will be there to just throw money at the problem. MUST avoid at all costs.

Glad you've got your notebook and budget with you - that should help to keep you on track. I hope you have a chance to enjoy the rays. I'm currently working on my back doorstep :)
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport