Comments

• karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Regular saver rates are misleading!

*hides behind several Virgin regular savers*

:D

They're misunderstood which can only be a good thing for many of us on the MSE savings board. It's quite a problem for many users on HUKD when someone posts a regular saver deal - they just can't seem to comprehend that you can't earn interest on money not present in the account.

I thought it may be a generation thing i.e. younger people misunderstanding it. But having opened a few regular savers in branch at various building societies over the years, I've had many employees warn me that the interest 'is not going to be what you think it is at the end'. Workers have said to me that it's not uncommon for them to have queries about their interest payment once their account has matured (thinking it should be double the amount they've received). I ask what the typical age of these people are, 'over 60' is their reply.

To the OP, you're not the first to ask whether reg savers are worth it and you won't be the last.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 May 2018 at 3:41PM
    Options
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    I don't think you can withdraw the monthly £50 and still get the interest - it looks like the balance has to increase by £50 every month? That's how I read it anyway.

The balance on the second-last working day has to be £50 more than the balance on the previous month's second-last working day. In between those dates you can add and withdraw money as you wish.

This gives a variety of valid methods for managing the account.

My own preference at the moment is to make a withdrawal on the third-last working day to reduce the balance down to no more than £50 more than the previous month. So month 1 the relevant balance was £50, month 2 it was £100, month 3 £150. However on the other days of the month the account balance is £5000 and therefore earning maximum interest at 1.5%. (For the two or three days it isn't earning 1.5% in the Savings Builder it is earning 1.35% with Tesco.)

The advantage of that approach is if your RS accounts are being too greedy, and none are paying out that month, then the Savings Builder can be drawn right down. But any residual balance will still get 1.5% so long as on that crucial second-last working day the balance is topped back up to £50, £100, £150... etc.

Locating a 'spare' few hundred quid for that second-last working day is much easier to do than having to find £5000 plus 'X'-months x £50, especially if the £5000+ is having to be taken out of an account paying more than 1.5%.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The idea really would be to have the lump sum in the lower interest a/c and drip feed it into the higher one. It will earn 1.315 From its time in one a/c and then start earning 2% once its moved across. Though with small sums involved and low interest rates, you are not talking a lot of difference. Is 2% the highest you can get?
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    karlie88 wrote: »
    ... I've had many employees warn me that the interest 'is not going to be what you think it is at the end'. ....

Ive encountered similar - with a staff member stating I'd be better off putting a lump sum into lower paying fixed account.

I just inwardly shook my head.
  • LXdaddy
    LXdaddy Posts: 693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 May 2018 at 8:11PM
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Put the following formula into Excel and it will give you your total balance at the end:

monthly deposit*((1+interest rate)^(Number of months/12)-1)/1-(1+interest rate)^(-1/12))

Or you could use the formula:

[STRIKE]monthly deposit * 6.5 * (1+interest rate)[/STRIKE]

This assumes the months are the same length, the deposits are equal and made on the earliest date each month, and no withdrawals. These assumptions won't be true so its a close approximation.

Edit to correct the calculation
    Interest earned = monthly deposit * 6.5 * interest rate

The first deposit is in the account for 12 months
    The second is in the account for 11 months
    third for 10 months
    fourth for 9 months
    etc
    last deposit for 1 month

So on average the deposits are in the account earning interest for 6.5 months.
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 May 2018 at 10:41AM
    Options
    LXdaddy wrote: »
    Or you could use the formula:

monthly deposit * 6.5 * (1+interest rate)

This assumes the months are the same length, the deposits are equal and made on the earliest date each month, and no withdrawals. These assumptions won't be true so its a close approximation.

I presume this is for working out the interest received (not total balance as the calculation in the previous post is for?) If so, shouldn't it actually be

monthly deposit * 6.5 * (interest rate/100)

You can also use this to to out interest received on the donor account you drip feed from, and therefore total effective interest rate.

E.g. If you have a lump sum of £3k you can drip feed from an account paying 1.3% to a regular saver paying 5% and allowing deposits of £250 per month

Interest on the regular saver is £81.25 + £21.13 on the donor account

So total interest of £102.38 on £3k, which is an effective rate of around 3.4% - so definitely worth it IMHO!
  • Jibeddy
    Jibeddy Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I presume this is for working out the interest received (not total balance as the calculation in the previous post is for?) If so, shouldn't it actually be

monthly deposit * 6.5 * (interest rate/100)

This just adds an extra step into the process, say for 1.5%:

1.5% = 0.015 or 1.5% = 1.5/100 = 0.015

The 1+interest would be to determine the final value of the account rather than the interest paid, if you just want to know the interest you take out the 1+
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jibeddy wrote: »
    This just adds an extra step into the process, say for 1.5%:

1.5% = 0.015 or 1.5% = 1.5/100 = 0.015

The 1+interest would be to determine the final value of the account rather than the interest paid, if you just want to know the interest you take out the 1+

the formula given by LXDaddy doesn't work though e.g. on M & S' Regular saver, 250 x 6.5 x 1.05 it works out as final balance of £1,706.25 and given that you put in £3,000 (250 x 12), it's obviously not right!

Splitting hairs, but dividing by 100 doesn't really add in an extra step - OK so 5% and 0.05 are the same, but I've never seen a bank quote an interest rate of 0.05 - they say 5% - so you have to divide the 5 by 100 or the calculation does't work.
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    so to go back to the start,
    their is not a lot of interest due

:(
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    No_6 wrote: »
    so to go back to the start,
    their is not a lot of interest due

:(

So to go back to post 37. There's more interest due than if you left it sitting in an easy access account.
    :)
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business