Job Vetting... Help!

Need advice... I recently made a huge mistake and took up a job that was totally wrong for me. I left my employer of 8 years for this job, and I realised straight away I had made a bad move. I wasn't sleeping and was wrought with anxiety over the situation so I quit after 3 days, and hoped to forget the whole sorry affair. This is the first time I have ever done this with a job.
I didn't update my CV for obvious reasons.
Anyway I 've now landed a new role with a bank. I was asked during interview why I left my last job - and I told them as close to the truth as possible - I said I had accepted a new position but had changed my mind as I realised the role wasnt going to work for me long term. I didn't declare I actually started the role albeit very briefly as I hadnt put it on my cv or application form.
As part of the vetting procedures I was asked to go in to the office and print off bank statements to cover the gap in employment which I did today. I wasnt quite sure why I was being asked for these but HR confirmed today that it was to check for undeclared jobs! I fully expected to have to explain myself and very likely have my offer withdrawn, as there is clearly a credit on my statement for the 3 days I worked with this other employer.
I printed off the statements I was asked for - the Hiring manager quickly scanned the document and didnt pick up on the credit. I have no idea how this happened. She put the document in my file and had me sign my contract. I now feel awful, and wonder if I should just call up and come clean? I know if this discrepancy is discovered at some time in the future I could be sacked and Im not sure if I can live with that hanging over my head.
My OH thinks I am crazy to consider this - I really need this job and am more than qualified and experienced for it.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 September 2018 at 10:12PM
    Definitely come clean.

You'll be looking over your shoulder wondering when they are going to find out otherwise.

just my opinion anyway, good luck.

Edit, i didnt see the bit where you said they checked your statements, I guess the decision now is between you and your conscience and whether they will do any more checks.
  • Yeah they checked the statements and didnt notice the credit - however they have kept the documents for my file. Not sure if these could be double checked again, or come up during an audit.
    Feel so naive for omitting the job and not expecting them to want to investigate this
  • Don't worry, I had to declare 16 jobs in 3 years which differs from my CV clearly just couldn't get past the gaps on the screening for an FCA regulated company so your one job is a drop in the ocean - they were fine with it and only mentioned it once, last I heard I recall they weren't going to check with companies I'd only worked at for only two-four weeks as there were so many employers.

Trust me it gave them an insight when I started flapping after a very bad day today, so it was probably for the best they know what has gone on previously.

(I also started training and found out others hadn't even started screening) I don't mean that b!tchy just sometimes you aren't alone and shouldn't panic. All manner of things go on.
  • Don't worry, I had to declare 16 jobs in 3 years which differs from my CV clearly just couldn't get past the gaps on the screening for an FCA regulated company so your one job is a drop in the ocean - they were fine with it and only mentioned it once, last I heard I recall they weren't going to check with companies I'd only worked at for only two-four weeks as there were so many employers.

Trust me it gave them an insight when I started flapping after a very bad day today, so it was probably for the best they know what has gone on previously.

(I also started training and found out others hadn't even started screening) I don't mean that b!tchy just sometimes you aren't alone and shouldn't panic. All manner of things go on.
    thanks, so you think I should call in and explain that I actually did start this new role and be honest before I start? As far as Im aware the screenings all done
  • Personally you give your reasons for leaving the job of eight years and that was accepted.

You have provided the documents asked for and the hiring manager has looked at them.

I think you worry too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport